• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cuban Missile Crisis 2 ?

You can't paint the hull (safely) while sailing. Only in port. What you gonna balance some sailors in a RHIB with a paint roller and try to paint in the waves? Or better yet hang off the side and paint? That's where the phrase "between the devil and and deep blue sea" comes from.

You can paint the superstructure underway and we do that all the time. But not over the side.

You can't paint the hull (safely) while sailing. Only in port. What you gonna balance some sailors in a RHIB with a paint roller and try to paint in the waves? Or better yet hang off the side and paint? That's where the phrase "between the devil and and deep blue sea" comes from.

You can paint the superstructure underway and we do that all the time. But not over the side.
All stop. All hands to paint stations, hopefully calm seas. A few bosuns chairs some paint and vola. Have a swim ex right after with a banyan....

All stop. All hands to paint stations, hopefully calm seas. A few bosuns chairs some paint and vola. Have a swim ex right after with a banyan....
The embarked USCG time is not to be wasted helping us paint so we look pretty, got a job to do!

Pretty sure you can't even do that, the Caribbean is a MARPOL special area.

Why don’t you stick to subjects that you know something about?

You are exposing your ignorance.
They use to do painting at sea, they use to have banyons and use to have swim exs.

I remember the stokers challange on HMCS Saskatchewan in 95ish. Good times.

It isn’t 1995.
No more Banyons then either..... that would suck. Did they eliminate the Stokers Challange also. That would be a shame. I guess it would be called the Turbine/diesel Tech challange now.
Yes, and global environmental rules have changed since then.
Do they specifically state you can not paint at sea? Or is that a Canadian interpretation of the law? Serious question. All I can find is about types of anti fouling paints allowed and not allowed.
We used to allow smoking inside aircraft too.
That has nothing to do with maintenance of a ship.
We also use to allow drunks at work and wall street was full of coke heads...... oh wait.

No more Banyons then either..... that would suck. Did they eliminate the Stokers Challange also. That would be a shame. I guess it would be called the Turbine/diesel Tech challange now.

Do they specifically state you can not paint at sea? Or is that a Canadian interpretation of the law? Serious question. All I can find is about types of anti fouling paints allowed and not allowed.

That has nothing to do with maintenance of a ship.
We also use to allow drunks at work and wall street was full of coke heads...... oh wait.
Nope, still have both Banyans and Stoker’s Open.

Painting of ships has evolved. Greatly.

There is a lot more in there, as well as pollution and special marine areas etc.
I see lots of information in regards to anti fouling paints and painting of ballast tanks and tanker tanks, some things on carbon reduction referring to engine specs/ fuel specs used. So far nothing on actual painting of ships hull or structure. If I have time I will keep digging through this link. I remember a few years ago I had to look something similar up and could only find info on anti fouling paint and certain ports prohibited painting of ships.

what was so different about the old paint vs using a polyurethane paint?
Oil based paint worked better for touch ups, but does not meet current environmental standards. Polyurethane and expoy requires a more controlled environment to be effective.

Back