• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CT -- Reserves into ROTP/RMC (merged)

tenor cumulus said:
Normal RMC cadets (non ex reservists) are going to hate me for answering this but here I go.

1. SI tu est à Rimouski ( ce qui est proche d'un centre de recrutement, ce qui te facilite la vie). First off I assume you speak french but since the forum is in english I'll help out other fellas that would want to read the thread. Yes in any case, reservist, cadet or civilian the procedure is long so strat it ASAP, it lasts untill april or may, but it is still doable.

2. I would go to the recruitment center and make sure they liaise with the recruitment center. A few of my friends went throught reserves in high school and then applied at RMC (or prep year in st jean). They should know what to do and if they don't, ask them to find someone who does since it IS POSSIBLE!

3. There is no biochem at RMC (we do have life science which is close tho) but YES YOU CAN BE ROTP AT A CIVILIAN UNIVERSITY (and with your reservist pay, you stay soldat 3 so you make lots of money while studying, compared to a "normal" officer cadet).

4. I would say that if you have an average of 75% with a VERY GOOD cadet or reservist file (and extra curriculars) you will get accepted at RMC. Or else you need to have at least 80%. But don't forget now the forces are recruiting more and more, so the odds are on your side.

One question. You mentioned having reservist pay and staying at "soldat 3."  What exactly does this mean?  I plan on applying to the ROTP to study in the 2011/12 year and will have been a reservist for 2 and a half years(since January '09).  Money isn't the number one issue but I'm just curious as how it all works.

You will receive the same pay and benefits as if you were transferring as an ncm, your private pay scale depending on how much time you are getting credited, 1 day per day of class B and 1 day per 3 days of class A.

Hi Everyone :)

I noticed that someone else asked a similar question, but no one has responded yet, so I'll start a topic.

For anyone at RMC or doing ROTP now that was in the reserves before they were accepted, how does the component transfer work? One person at my unit said that if I get accepted to RMC, I just go in to my unit for a few hours, fill out some papers, and the component transfer is complete. He said that it's basically a voluntary release followed by an immediate enrollment in the reg force, with no lapse in service. This is the first I've heard that a CT is actually a release from the reserves followed by an immediate re-enrollment, so I was just wondering if this is valid information. He also said that it should happen around July or August, but that seems really late. I was wondering if anyone has any information about this that they could share? Also, if the CT happens early, does that mean I can't do any more reserve work with my unit after that point?

VBanks said:
Hi Everyone :)

I noticed that someone else asked a similar question, but no one has responded yet, so I'll start a topic.

For anyone at RMC or doing ROTP now that was in the reserves before they were accepted, how does the component transfer work? One person at my unit said that if I get accepted to RMC, I just go in to my unit for a few hours, fill out some papers, and the component transfer is complete. He said that it's basically a voluntary release followed by an immediate enrollment in the reg force, with no lapse in service. This is the first I've heard that a CT is actually a release from the reserves followed by an immediate re-enrollment, so I was just wondering if this is valid information. He also said that it should happen around July or August, but that seems really late. I was wondering if anyone has any information about this that they could share? Also, if the CT happens early, does that mean I can't do any more reserve work with my unit after that point?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a CT means "Component Transfer", not "Component VR", so I believe it's just a transfer to another role in the CF.

VBanks said:
For anyone at RMC or doing ROTP now that was in the reserves before they were accepted, how does the component transfer work? One person at my unit said that if I get accepted to RMC, I just go in to my unit for a few hours, fill out some papers, and the component transfer is complete. He said that it's basically a voluntary release followed by an immediate enrollment in the reg force, with no lapse in service.
I'm not ROTP but when I transferred from the militia to the regs that was the way it worked.  My "release date" was 1 day prior to my "enrollment date" so there was no break in service.  I imagine that ROTP works the same way but "your mileage may vary".

DBF said:
I'm not ROTP but when I transferred from the militia to the regs that was the way it worked.  My "release date" was 1 day prior to my "enrollment date" so there was no break in service.  I imagine that ROTP works the same way but "your mileage may vary".

Thanks for the reply :)

I agree; I'm sure ROTP would be the same. Was your transfer recent?

VBanks said:
Thanks for the reply :)

I agree; I'm sure ROTP would be the same. Was your transfer recent?
Not really but I checked with an RMS Clerk who specializes in releases/CT and she says that it still works that way.

DBF said:
Not really but I checked with an RMS Clerk who specializes in releases/CT and she says that it still works that way.

Thank you for your help  :)

VBanks said:
One person at my unit said that if I get accepted to RMC, I just go in to my unit for a few hours, fill out some papers, and the component transfer is complete.

I'm not sure where you are in your ROTP application, but I had to start my CT online at my unit before the recruiting centre would accept my application.  About a week later, I received an email from someone in Ottawa confirming that my CT was "started," and I was also told that the actual transfer wouldn't take place until the summer, shortly before school starts.

31engnr said:
I'm not sure where you are in your ROTP application, but I had to start my CT online at my unit before the recruiting centre would accept my application.  About a week later, I received an email from someone in Ottawa confirming that my CT was "started," and I was also told that the actual transfer wouldn't take place until the summer, shortly before school starts.

Yes; I've already done that as well and was confirmed that my CT was started. What I was talking about before was the actual transfer; I want to know if that's how the actual transfer works, and when it happens. So what you're saying also goes along with what I've heard; that the transfer doesn't happen until the summer.

You will be transferred to the Regular Force the day before you need to show up for duty.

If your BOTP/BOTC/IAP (whatever) starts on 20 June 2010 - then you will show up in St-Jean on 19 June 2010.  All your initial paperwork, kit issue, brow-beating will occur on the 20th.  If you get late acceptance into RMC, then you will be CT'd late August.

I CT'd from the PRes to the RegF, never was I told that I was VRing and re-enrolling.  I was transferred from the Militia to the Regular Force.  I worked at my Militia unit Class A until a week before leaving.  I cleared out of my ASU and returned some kit that I would not need anymore (Army CF's, cot, helmet, webbing etc).  All of that was re-issued to me in St-Jean.

I was told that I would not be doing anything during the summer no matter what and would do my BOTP and whatever else during the summer after my first year of university.  I originally thought that it would be this summer but apparently they are doing things differently than they used to.  I'm not sure what anybody else has been told regarding the summer and whether or not they are doing BOTP, but this is what I was told.

Vbank,

i did it last year.  Couple of tips to help you in the transfer.

- Keep on top of the paper work in your admin office, there is alot of stuff being flown from recruiting to your BOR and you will need to sign a big stack of forms just before your release from reserves.  Make sure your benefits forms are correct(like of you got injured or something).

- MAKE sure and guard that form you get signed off by everyone especially your Kit return list.  When you land in St.Jean and they say you should have all your kit, just rip out the form and proceed.  Computer glitches to exist.

- itis weird to get released and then hired again by the Reg. but make sure you are completely off the reserve system or else your reg force pay wont come in.

BK said:
Vbank,

i did it last year.  Couple of tips to help you in the transfer.

- Keep on top of the paper work in your admin office, there is alot of stuff being flown from recruiting to your BOR and you will need to sign a big stack of forms just before your release from reserves.  Make sure your benefits forms are correct(like of you got injured or something).

- MAKE sure and guard that form you get signed off by everyone especially your Kit return list.  When you land in St.Jean and they say you should have all your kit, just rip out the form and proceed.  Computer glitches to exist.

- itis weird to get released and then hired again by the Reg. but make sure you are completely off the reserve system or else your reg force pay wont come in.

Thanks BK  :) So did you switch from the Reserves to ROTP? And even though it's a release from the Reserves and a re-enrollment in Reg Force, is your pay as an officer still based on the time you spent in the Reserves (how you can never go down in pay in the military)? Thanks again.

Well thats a different can of worms.

I stand to be corrected, it was 08 i did the transfer from PRes to ROTP.  Back to the pay issue, it depends on everyone's personal case, I was just so happy that the ball was rolling as quick as it was, that i kind of put the pay 2nd verses getting in the Reg Force Career.  Also i was a private with little leverage to bring to the table.  They did give me time in as a Reservest but my pay actually decreased.  But then again i was a reservest that gets payed for showing up to parade and exercises and on becoming a Reg Force member you get payed every 2 weeks, so i still consider myself blessed.

If you have vast experience, like MCpl and above i think you have a much better chance of getting higher pay as an OCdt.  We had a Mcpl on our basic that had 2 tours under his belt and was a qualified instructor (i doubt he was getting my pay).  But that is just my opinion, to how the CFRC handles this, i am not sure.  The clerks at the CFRC are gods with all this information, consult them.  Note adding anything could mean delaying the enrollment, so its all about pros and cons.

What trade are you heading for?

Currently I'm a sig op, but if I go to RMC I'm hopefully transferring to armoured; what about you?  :)

I'm in a similar boat, applying to ROTP, but currently PRes.  The essentials are thus: 

If you are a private: you will be paid as if you had no military service

If you are a corporal or greater: you will be paid as if you CT'd into your current trade, at your current rank.  Upon commissioning, you will be paid in Pay Category D, starting at the next highest pay level (from your current pay) at that new rank, at that category.

I'm not 100% sure how promotions work, specifically if you are promoted to 2Lt from OCdt making $x, you either get the next pay level greater than your current, or 1 pay level beyond that.

This can all be found in the CBI 204-02 documents. found on the DGCB.

204.211(10) (Officer Cadet – former non-commissioned member)  An officer cadet who is appointed directly to that rank from a non-commissioned rank shall be paid:

1. if the member was a non-commissioned member of the Regular Force, at the rate of pay which, including any upward adjustments to the rates of pay determined under subparagraphs (i) and (ii) that may be established from time to time, and any upward adjustments resulting from the reallocation of the last military occupation in which the member served as a non-commissioned member to a higher trade group, is the greater of the rate of pay established for:
        1. the rank, pay increment, pay level and trade group held on the day immediately prior to the date of appointment to the rank of officer cadet, or
        2. any higher pay increment to which the member would have become entitled had the member remained in the former rank, pay level and trade group as a non-commissioned member; and
  2. if the member was a former Regular Force member who re-enrolled or a member who transferred from the Reserve Force to the Regular Force, at the rate of pay, including any upward adjustments to the rates of pay, in CBI 204.30 (Pay – Non-commissioned members) for:
        1. the rank, pay level and trade group that they would have received had they enrolled directly as a non-commissioned member as determined in orders or instructions issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff, at the pay increment determined by CBI 204.015 (Pay Increments); or
        2. any higher pay increment to which the officer would have become entitled under CBI 204.015 (Pay Increments) had the officer remained in the former rank, pay level and trade group as a non-commissioned member.

204.211(3) (Rate of pay – ROTP) An officer to whom the ROTP applies shall be paid, for each month after the month and year specified in the table, at the rate of pay established for the officer’s rank and pay increment as follows

1. if a lieutenant or second lieutenant
        1. with no former non-commissioned member service, in pay level A of Table “B” or “C” to this instruction, or
        2. with former non-commissioned member service and appointed to the rank of officer cadet directly from the rank of private, in pay level A of Table “B” or “C” to this instruction; or
        3. with former non-commissioned member service and appointed to the rank of officer cadet directly from the rank of corporal or above, in pay level D of Table “B” or “C” to this instruction; and
  2. subject to QR&O 203.20 (Officers – Regular Force – Limitation of Payments) , if an officer cadet with no former non-commissioned member service, in pay level A of Table "A" to this instruction.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pub/cbi-dra/204-eng.asp

I was just wondering if anyone else who is Component Transferring into ROTP is going to CMR and got offered up to 4 years (I already have 2 years complete at a Uivi U). I am going from Reserve Infantry Officer 2Lt to MARS and what I find interesting is through talking with those who deal with the CT's that it is not 1 year CMR then 3 in Kingston, but all done through CMR in a BA. Anyone else get an offer like this? I will be interested to see what the final offer looks like after the PLAR.

I am also CT'ing from the reserves to ROTP and my offer letter sounded similar to that, though I am not already in university and I am an NCM.  It said
"Under the terms of the plan, you will be subsidized for up to 4 years depending on the accreditation that you may receive at Collège Militaire Royal Saint-Jean to obtain a Bachelor of Engineering. You will be enrolled in the MOSID of 00207 MARS."
I found this weird because it is either worded in a confusing way or they actually want me to get a bachelor of engineering at CMR, which, as far as I know, they don't offer.  I also posted this in the "ROTP 2010..." thread where no one else had seen something similar.   

Yes!, that was exactly what mine said. (Looks like we are going to be going to school together)

Back