• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Critical Injury Benefit

dunlop303 said:
Thanks that would be great. I wonder (and kind of hope) its not the same adjudicators that are backlogged with Disability Claims.

Thanks again,

Well, I hate to break it to you, but it inevitably is...while there is an advertised hiring process out there right now, Adjudication was also hit in the staffing cuts of the last four years. There was an advertised process back in Jan 15, which didn't bring in many applicants apparently, and then four more Disability Adjudicator/Benefit Adjudicator processes, one which just closed yesterday (sorry, I totally missed it: https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page1800?poster=823569).

The issue they are having in the hiring process is they changed the classification to NU roughly five years ago. Now, to be a Disability Adjudicator, you must have "Eligibility for Registration as a registered nurse in a province or territory of Canada." It really restricts the applicant pool when you target a specialized branch.

If you search through the archives, you'll find these same posters. Set your parameter to the VAC org, or else you'll get all the external posters.

They wont get any traction with the price range ($45,886 to $63,153), I know its a Fed job with a nice pension at the end of the tunnel.
But aside from new grads, actual nurses are all mostly 70k+.

dunlop303 said:
They wont get any traction with the price range ($45,886 to $63,153), I know its a Fed job with a nice pension at the end of the tunnel.
But aside from new grads, actual nurses are all mostly 70k+.

Yup.

And most nurses LIKE what they do, and as they gain in seniority, they can choose their shifts and have more benefits than they would enjoy working here. And also have a nice pension at the end.

It's not a bad go for a retiring nurse, looking for a 0900-1700 type job. But it's very demanding, and there's a different level of stress up in Adjudication than almost anywhere else in the Department. If you're retiring, do you want that, after 20-plus years of it in another setting?

SITREP:

Since the beginning of the week, calls are being made to CIB potentially eligible personnel. Priority 1 is on those clients who are known to already be eligible for CIB, based on the medical evidence and benefit application history. Priority 2 is on clients who submit applications.

For personnel unsure if they are eligible, direction is to call the NCCN line (866-522-2122) or send a msg through your My VAC Account. There are some delays in responding, which are to be expected, due to volume and screening procedures.

I called in for an update on my application that was submitted on July 3rd for the CIB.
On July 20th, a summary was prepared for the adjudication team. The rep I spoke to today said adjudication on these is very short
as you either meet the criteria or don't so I could ideally expect a decision in the next week or two.

Anyone else have anything moving threw the system or have been called?

Still waiting. I've been waiting since early December for my PIA application though, so I'm not holding my breath.

Does seem like this is.moving faster though. Keep us posted.

Dunlop, does your application show up inĀ  your My VAC account? I sent mine in around the same.time as you but it doesn't show up there at all.

I've also got a PIA application that isn't shown there (in the 'my applications' section). But i recently applied for voc rehab program and that shows up there.

Hi Rob,

Nope Just under submitted Doc's, and I think that only applies for electronically submitted documents.
But they don't get statuses or updated at all. I applied for a EIA as well, which also just shows up in the submitted Doc's.

They are able to update over the phone though, or at least they can tell you if the CIB has been prepped for adjudication.
As for the EIA that's an odd ball process, they send the application to my regional office to review. Then they sent it back to head office to prep the letter.
Apparently its back at head office now. I don't know who writes the process's over there lol.

dunlop303 said:
Hi Rob,

Nope Just under submitted Doc's, and I think that only applies for electronically submitted documents.
But they don't get statuses or updated at all. I applied for a EIA as well, which also just shows up in the submitted Doc's.

They are able to update over the phone though, or at least they can tell you if the CIB has been prepped for adjudication.
As for the EIA that's an odd ball process, they send the application to my regional office to review. Then they sent it back to head office to prep the letter.
Apparently its back at head office now. I don't know who writes the process's over there lol.

EIA is slightly different as it usually requires a home visit, IOT assess your needs in person. Hence it going to the RO, then back to HO. The home visit entails the completion of the Nursing Assessment Form. I can't find an online copy, unfortunately, but it's a very comprehensive form, some eight pages in its un-filled, blank version. I've seen them run into the dozens of pages when completed.

There is also the Case Manager's assessment, which would also require the application be sent to the RO.

Chapter 7 of the 2006 Edition of the Table of Disabilities outlines part of the process.

As to the questions on what does/does not show up in MVA, I couldn't tell you. But I can certainly mention it when I'm asked to provide feedback! I've been helping with the new layout for MVA, and one thing under consideration is being able to see exactly what documents the Department used in arriving at its decision on your application, right from your account.

Anyone with any updates? I called last week and got the same answer as Dunlop: it's been moved to adjudication.Ā  No ETA on a decision though.

Nothing new to report. They are trying to move through the CIBs quickly, but there is a file backlog in Adjudication as it is.

I asked if VAC had a timeline for decisions for the CIB and I was told they are aiming for 12 weeks.

I've got an update that is just so typical VAC lol.

Applied online and you can't sign your app online (obviously ). So I submitted the form, then sent a msg thru my VAC acct, askin if that was a problem or if I should send in a hard copy. Yup, no worries they said.

And so, of course, today I get a letter with my app printed off, and a note asking me to sign it and send it back.

I'm sure this will restart my clock. Fucking VAC. Is not applying THOUGHT your my vac acct the same (legally) as signing it?

So frustrating.

RobA said:
I've got an update that is just so typical VAC lol.

Applied online and you can't sign your app online (obviously ). So I submitted the form, then sent a msg thru my VAC acct, askin if that was a problem or if I should send in a hard copy. Yup, no worries they said.

And so, of course, today I get a letter with my app printed off, and a note asking me to sign it and send it back.

I'm sure this will restart my clock. ******* VAC. Is not applying THOUGHT your my vac acct the same (legally) as signing it?

So frustrating.

There is a note at the bottom before submitting online that says submitting through my VAC account will count as signing the form. So not sure why they would require a signatureĀ  :dunno:

Jesus H-C

I'm going to print off my submitted application sign it and scan it back in so they cant play that game with me.

The only somewhat silver lining is the included envelopeĀ  had a return address went straight to the adjudicators in Montreal.

Maybe they'll keep my place in line, who knows

I called in for my bi-monthly update on my various claims / applications.

The update on CIB was interesting, I got a newer person on the phone which was nice as she did not stone wall me as much as the more experienced ones, she provided my timeline thus far:

CIB Submitted July 3rd

Summary of application prepared for adjudicators July 20th

Adjudication started in on the file on August 19th.

Te meet the service standard a decision would have to be reached by Sept 11th.

She also mentioned that no CIB's have been granted yet, although a lot have been rejected and she noted that since eligibility is so clear that rejections happen quickly.

Same song and dance, mine was due on Sept 11th, so I called in for an update yesterday. And I got the typical - "Well... yes, you submitted everything on July 3rd, but we didn't get everything put together for adjudication until August 20th so its not technically overdue, call back in a Month". Insert Xanax here.

Back