• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CRIC

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
So has anyone heard how they‘re making out with the Combined Reserve Infantry Company (CRIC) fo rthe next roto? Are they getting the people they need from out west or are they going to be asking for volunteers from across Canada? Couple of thoughts come to mind. If they have to go across Canada to form one of these, what‘s the viable sustainability of this plan. Secondly, if it does‘nt work or they don‘t get the pers needed, I wonder where that will leave us as far as future funding, equipment and stature. Are concessions being made as far as the senior appointments? ie: Can a reserve Sgt or MCpl hold the position(s) even though they can‘t get the Small Arms Coaching Course because they can‘t get the MG qual now that turret drills on the 25mm have been added to the inf MG Course? There‘s just some stuff to chew on. I‘m sure there‘s lots more, but I‘m not all that familiar with the weird and wonderful logic of the infantry corps. My big concern is are they getting the qualified people they need? Let‘s here from the west.

Recceguy- CRIC/Roto11- so far, the CRIC is loaded, in LFWA( IE names matched to Posns) no trg occurs before 1 May 02. 1. for NCOs, :( ASAC/Small Arms Instr( not small arms coach) is the short fall crse( army has to run it for Res F pers to get qual‘d) 2. 25mm has NOT been added to INF MG crse( powers that be, took out .50 cal , so it‘s just C6!)(25mm is strictly a LAV crse. Res F don‘t have it , therefore, they don‘t need to be trained on it!!)
Of course . there are always "back door "deals going on. ( not too much out west ,though!!!)

Thx JR,
Like I said, not up on the inf side of the house. In armour, we don‘t need to jump through all the hoops to put guys on the range. Everyone is taught MG and working on the range as RSO / FPO / Coach/ et al, is just part of the job.
So your saying they have all the pers reqd? If so that‘s good to hear. Thx.

RECCEGUY- I‘m just saying what I‘ve been told!!! if you have access to CFTPO, chk it out.

MG is no longer available to the Mo‘ = 25mm/turret has been added to the required list, sono Res bum will ever get it.
I know this, because a number of our CRIC guys are in the 39 Bde C6 course, and they‘ve all been informed that it‘s just an "MG familiarization course", and iwll not count as an MG QL4. This is a recent change, as the MG course run just this summer DID count.

In terms of numbers... guys over on socnetcentral.com (Canada forum) say it‘s low, but no official number shave seeped down to us volunteers.

Personally, I believe the Army is about to run itself into the ground within the next year or two. Not enough troops for the tours.

Remember in 94 NRG on the Yugo tour Bsqn was Inf. Armour Mcpls and Sgts donot need the Small Arms course. You said it we get the course though regular training, the grunts need a that course. Such as the Adv Pioneer, a Assult tp WO or Sgt does not need it. The Armour Corp did that right.
The only differance is now you need the Coyote/ Lav C/C course to command. Like the Leo tank now requires a A6 to command. It is not like the old days when you could command if qual gunner/ dvr in a cougar or Leo and a CLC qual Cpl.

Sgt J. CD,CDS com Bold and Swift, Airborne :tank:

Gents, just to make sure everyone is up to speed on the CRIC.

The CRIC (Composite Reserve Infantry Company) will become D Company 1 PPCLI for the deployment for Op PALLADIUM Roto 11. It will consist of a composite platoon from each CBG within LFWA (38 - Manitoba/Saskatchewan/Northwest Ontario, 39 - British Columbia, and 41 - Alberta). The company HQ is provided by all three CBGs. The OC, Major Paul Bury, Loyal Edmonton Regiment. I am not sure if the 2 i/c and CSM have been firmed up yet. The only position filled by the Regular Force is the CQMS (keep track of the Battalion stores).

Each position will have a primary and an alternate (and in some cases an alternate to the alternate). Starting last summer personnel in key positions have been undergoing required training in accordance wiht the TO&E. Courses not normally given to Reservists have had vacancies opened up so they can get the training (ie Cbt Tm Comds Crse, Rapell Master, Small Arms Instructors Course, etc). During this training year, each CBG is expected to train their platoon in individual skills (and hopefully some collective) to prepare them to join 1 PPCLI.

Training will begin at LFWA TC on 1 April 2002 with a month of individual and collective skills under the direction of 1 PPCLI to "harden" and "weed out" D Company. On 1 May 2002 the company will join 1 PPCLI BG in the conduct of deployment training in collective warfighting skills and peace support operations specific training.

Alot of time and money has gone into the CRIC to make sure it will succeed. If it fails in any aspect it will be a significant setback for the Reserve Force.

I believe training begins 1 May - any earlier and it cuts into school, and you‘ll lose a lot of guys.

It will be more than a setback for the Reserve Force. It will be a resounding failure for the entire Army, and we‘ll ALL be screwed if it does. CRIC is the future of army deployments and reg/res integration.

Gunner, et al. It is a constant source of amusement/ exasperation, to me, to see how the offical plan pans out vice the actual situation. Lots of rumour/ counter -rumour going on. Every thing stated here is based on first hand
knowledge/personal experience:
1. CSM has been picked, dont know about Coy 2ic.( believe so, though) 2. CQMS- got a personal bitch here . put my name in 28 May 01. was told I was the primary. found out 10 Jan 02 ( not through Chain of Comd) the posn is now Reg F ( i guess Res F dont know how to count!) ( haven‘t been offered/told abut an alternate posn) :mad:
3. Courses/ trg- mostly the officer posn have been "fast-tracked" for VAc. some Sgts did attend SAIC/ASAC at WATC last year. (for NCM, if anything does happen, it‘s due to unit efforts vice any "plan" by LFWA.
4. Coy forms up on 01 May 02. if 01 Apr 02 is the new start date, thats a change that hasn‘t got to the troops( at least in 41 Bde) if it is Apr , it will kill the CRIC ( see Enfield‘s previous post) :dontpanic:
5. Lots of time / money spent- I‘d like to know where. :rolleyes:

Gunner- if you want to see real Dis information on the CRIC , go to socnetcentral.com. look for FORNET/ Canada and any CRIC thread! :D

My apologies to the readers of this thread. The CRIC indeed does form up as a composite unit on 01 May 02 vice 01 Apr 02 I mentioned. Collective training with 1 PPCLI BG will begin on 1 Jun 02.

JRMACDONALD - You were slated for the position as I saw your name on an old manning slate today. Time and money in terms of extra courses being run and especially the composite unit training for a full month (funded by LFWA) that is above what the DCDS is willing to pay for. Don‘t be too hard on "the higher HQ", they seem to be an easy scapegoat to what is often a unit problem.

Hi, Gunner-1. if you go on CFTPO , you will find CRIC is listed in two different tables( one in OPS the other under General) .THey don‘t match.as for courses and trg, this is controlled by LFWA/ 1PPCLI BG, not the Res F units(if thats what you mean by unit) :eek:

JRMACDONALD.

The TO&E you refer to in Op Tasks is the current Roto 10 one. The CRIC TO&E under the General Tasks. That the two aren‘t similar is not undo cause for concern. The TO&E which the CRIC is operating is an LFWA generated view of how an LPV company should look like as when it was designed, it did not exist overseas (roto 10 is the first rotation with LPV). The only one you need to concern yourself with is the one under the General task category.

It is entirely probable that qualifications are different between the two. That is not a show stopper if certain qualifications are not met, indeed, they may never have been required in the first place.

What I meant by unit is not all decisions/discussions are passed down to the unit...and the unit does not always tell its members what was decided/discussed.

I posted this info over on socnet, but I‘ll stick it here too.
Had a screening day for CRIC - sorry, D Coy now - on saturday for 39 Bde, finally got some solid info.
Trainig schedule is roughly divided into months;
May- Coy Collective Training, live fores, PT, sorting everyone out in Wainwright and Edmonton and getting things up to Reg F standards (or beginning to). I got the feeling this where the wheat and the chaff will be seperated.
June- Security for the G8 summit. I‘m looking forward to this!
July- this is when the Regs have to take their accumulated leave, so we apparentrly get this off as well.
Aug- mission training; internal security, cultural and language lessons, etc.
Sept- final leave, deploy 25 Sept.

Coy Comd said they have 117 spots to fill and 199 volunteers.
The crunch comes in drivers - each section gets 3 Iltii, so for a Company that‘s a lot of drivers - and no driving courses being run.
I don;t know baout the Coy Comd, but oiur platoon commander and 2ic are very checked out - ex-Airborne and all that. Which is important because it means a) they know what their doing and b)they won‘t let the Regs talk down to them or **** us around.

So total force has not died the death I though it would...but like any typical CF operatin they don‘t offer solutions they just redesign the problem.

I don‘t mean to drag you down, but you will soon find out that the "Total Force" concept will not work in Canada.

There simply is not the resouces to sustain militia support. No money to train up to the necessary standard and no legislation gauranteeing the qualified people can participate on a semi regular basis....the answer of course is easy but no politician cares enough about the CF to implement even a small part of the solution

Back