• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CP-140 Aurora

Meanwhile, since the Justas programme was announced, the CF has established Polar Epsilon with listening stations at CFS Aldergrove, BC and at Masstown, NS.

The advantage of Polar Epsilon is that its imagery can be used for precise cueing and location of activities, which allows for a more efficient and cost-effective use of other Canadian military assets, such as patrol aircraft and ships. Polar Epsilon can also be used to survey for oil or water pollution, aircraft or satellite crash sites. The project however, does not have the capability to detect ballistic missiles, nor can it track small vessels or individuals. The data provided by Polar Epsilon is used primarily to support military operations, but will provide significant information to several departments and agencies to support their daily operations.

See also Justas and Project Epsilon
See also Radarsat 2

Meanwhile, the International Maritime Organization, under SOLAS, has implemented the transponder based Automated Identification System, doing for ships what transponders have been doing for decades for aircraft.

Meanwhile Radarsat 2 is being enhanced by the Radarsat Constellation Mission which combines both Polar Epsilon surveillance and AIS.

PARIS - The Canadian government has sharply reduced the amount of time it takes to collect evidence of illegal fishing and other infractions in its territorial waters by deploying high-cost aircraft only after Canada?s Radarsat 2 satellite has given an initial alert, according to Col. Francois Malo of Canada?s Department of National Defence.

Malo said Canadian authorities plan to extend their operational maritime surveillance capabilities with the next-generation Radarsat system, called Radarsat Constellation, by adding an Automated Identification System (AIS) terminal to each Radarsat Constellation satellite.

The decision is in parallel with a program by Canada?s Com Dev International?of Cambridge, Ontario, which is using its own funds to build several AIS-equipped small satellites after reporting a success of AIS technology in a satellite Com Dev launched in April 2008.

Malo said using Canada?s CP 140 maritime patrol aircraft to survey Canada?s coastline ? 243,770 kilometers long, with 250 ports and a traffic volume of 1,700 ships per day ? takes up to 180 hours of flight time to collect the necessary evidence.

The cost of operating the aircraft is about 27,000 Canadian dollars ($22,330)?per hour,
Malo said here April 28 during a presentation to the Milspace 2009 conference, organized by SMi Group.

In a test program called Operation Drift Net, Canadian authorities took 80 Radarsat 2 scenes to scan the broad coastal area. High-resolution Radarsat 2 imagery was used once a suspicious vessel was spotted to determine whether it was worth an overhead pass by the aircraft. The result, he said, was the aircraft confirmed the activity just six hours after takeoff.

?Deterring illegal fishing would take a huge amount of aircraft time and we now use the satellite to find the vessels in question before cueing the aircraft,? Malo said.

Malo said Canada?s defense forces have begun their own ship-identification pilot program by using Radarsat data combined with AIS signals produced by satellites launched in 2008 by Orbcomm Inc. of Ft. Lee, N.J. Orbcomm is building a second generation of machine-to-machine messaging spacecraft, all of which will include an AIS terminal on board.

Malo said Canadian authorities in March started integrating Orbcomm AIS data into marine images taken by Radarsat as part of a program to monitor Atlantic tuna fishing. The data is promising, he said, but suffers from the fact that the Orbcomm information is not easily correlated with the Radarsat data because the two data sets are coming from two satellites in different orbits.

For this reason, he said, the Radarsat Constellation program, expected to feature between three and six spacecraft, ?will have an AIS capability. Our objective is to have four looks at a given area per day of any area in our zone of interest, with eight minutes of SAR [synthetic aperture radar instrument] per orbit.?

Malo said Canadian officials have begun talks with Canada?s allies, including the NATO alliance, to determine whether other governments might take part in the program.

In another project aimed at ship surveillance, Canada?s defense forces have installed Radarsat 2 ground stations, one on the east and west coast of Canada, to collect data on overall ship traffic. The program, called Polar Epsilon, cost 64.5 million Canadian dollars and is designed to deliver information on a ship?s position, length, speed and heading within 15 minutes of being imaged.

Com Dev officials say they expect to provide Canadian forces with the AIS technology for Radarsat Constellation based on data from the Nanosatellite Tracking of Shipstechnology demonstration satellite placed into low Earth orbit in April 2008.

The 8-kilogram satellite was placed into a 630-kilometer sun-synchronous orbit to determine whether Com Dev?s proprietary AIS technology works as designed. Under contract to the Canadian Space Agency and Canada?s defense forces, Com Dev is building a follow-on Maritime Monitoring and Messaging Microsatellite (M3MSat), to be launched in 2010.

The M3MSat will also inaugurate a Com Dev-developed satellite platform the company hopes will be used for multiple future Canadian government programs, Com Dev Chief Executive John Keating told shareholders April 22. Com Dev is currently seeking strategic partners to help finance the rollout of a commercial AIS system.

?We aren?t going to bet the farm,? Keating said of the AIS and microsatellite development efforts. ?Appropriate backup plans are in place. We do not expect to generate any meaningful revenue from AIS in 2009, but this next year will be crucial in determining the success of the overall program.?

Meanwhile the US is shying away from Global Hawk

A $114 million contract to build three more Global Hawk high-altitude unmanned surveillance aircraft was announced back in September, despite the Air Force not even wanting them.
Facing budget cuts and wanting to save some cash (about $2.5 billion over five years), the Air Force was planning to stop buying the pricey — and rather unreliable — drones and mothball the remainder of the fleet in favor of the battle-tested and accomplished U2 spy plane.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/global-hawk-air-force-budget-cuts-2013-12#ixzz2tbAkhODS

My take-away from all of this is that:

AIS - a civilian initiative and Polar Epsilon & Radarsat - a joint CF/Civilian initiative, are demonstrating improvements to the Recognized Maritime Picture.  This reduces the need for more exotic surveillance solutions like Global Hawk UAVs and High Frequency Surface Wave Radars, and allows the more effective vectoring of LRPs so as to maximize the benefits derived from their use.  This is extending the number of years of service available from the existing airframes by having them spend less time cruising empty seas and more time doing the low and dangerous work of prosecuting targets.

It is all about capabilities and effects - and finding other methods of skinning cats.

Building the ability to observe and monitor is a good and wise choice, but at some point you need the ability to react. Also monitoring is only as good as the people or algorithms looking at the incoming data. I also like the human eye approach, because sometimes it catches that thing that is odd, which leads you to investigate more closely. Plus whether we like it or not, physical presence in the North is required to maintain our claims.

Colin:

I'm not suggesting that the day has arrived that we can do away with the human intervention that the LRP provides.  All I'm saying is that even in the short interval between the Y2K bug panic, and while eyes have been diverted elsewhere due to the GWOT, technology has moved on and provided alternate solutions to the surveillance problem.  The result is that better, and more cost effective, use can be made of the available resources, including the  Auroras: less time stooging and more time on vectored tasks.

Cheers.

I haven't even heard of Polar Epsilon before, but an interesting project and concept.  I'm not a SME on this area (Space Ops stuff), and lack even the Basic Space Ops qual, but any added tool to the toolbelt is a good thing (usually).

There is value to having a 'wider view' picture to help direct LRP events to get the best bang for the buck out of the shrinking YFR, but there are certain tasks that take place that require an aircraft with folks on board to do, above and beyond ASW.  But this "big picture" stuff should allow better use of gas and flying hours.

It's now official!
The Honourable Rob Nicholson, P.C., Q.C. M.P for Niagara Falls, Minister of National Defence, together with the Honourable Peter MacKay, Regional Minister for Nova Scotia, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, today announced Canada is expanding its fleet of upgraded CP-140 Aurora aircraft. Through an existing modernization and life-extension program, four additional Aurora aircraft will gain new and enhanced capabilities and extended service lives. This will expand Canada’s current upgrades fleet to a total of 14 Auroras.

The Aurora program is a Canadian innovation success story, with Canadian industry delivering a world class capability. With new wings and tail, the Auroras will be restored to a “like new” configuration in terms of the critical structural components, extending the structural life to 2030. At that time, Canada will be better placed to buy its next Canadian multi-mission aircraft. 

The addition of four more updated Aurora aircraft is Canada’s best means of ensuring effective piloted airborne Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) capabilities into the future, and the best use of taxpayer dollars. The four additional aircraft will be modernized and life-extended under the existing competitively-awarded industry contracts. These enhancements and modifications are expected to be completed by 2021, and extend the operational effectiveness of the 14 modernized Aurora aircraft to 2030 from 2020 ....
More backstory in the Backgrounder here

Well that statement really puts the lipstick on the pig, the Aurora is a good plane but getting old, I think the original air frames started flying in the late 50's? by 2020 we will be likely scrambling to find parts for them as most other countries will be done with them. 

Colin P said:
Well that statement really puts the lipstick on the pig, the Aurora is a good plane but getting old, I think the original air frames started flying in the late 50's? by 2020 we will be likely scrambling to find parts for them as most other countries will be done with them.

First flight 1979.

You're out by two decades.

The original airframe that the Aurora is based upon was designed and flown in the 50's.  I think that is what Colin was alluding.

Old technology on that bird - cable and pulley driven flight controls with hydraulic boost.  Old turbo-prop engines with equally old designed props.  Props and engines are usually the largest culprit when it comes to aging airplanes - much the same growing pains that we are having with the Buffalo.

In 84 I flew on a electra run by TAME Airlines, except it was really the Ecudorian Airforce, the plane was in camo and had the jump lights in it. Since Ecuador and Peru were still technically at war, the plane was a valid target. Was flying from Quito to Rio Coca in the Amazon.

TAME_Lockheed_L-188_Electra_Volpati-1.jpg

Meanwhile TCA flew Vickers Vanguards:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=tca+vickers+vanguard&num=100&client=firefox-a&hs=Vs6&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=YsotU5iKGsHArQGAs4DIAg&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1173&bih=547

Mark
Ottawa

Good enough for Buffalo Airways:
http://www.buffaloairways.com/index.php?page=lockheed-l-188-electra-freighter

But I really  like this one :
G550 Overview
The Gulfstream G550® large-cabin, ultra-long-range business jet turned heads right from the start. Less than two weeks after it entered service, a G550 flew nonstop from Seoul, South Korea, to Orlando, Fla., covering the 7,301-nautical-mile (13,521 km) distance in 14.5 hours and setting a city pair record. In fact, it would go on to establish 40 city-pair records in its first five years of service.

http://www.gulfstream.com/products/g550/

Is this part of the answer?

triton_2880851b.jpg

The US navy’s Triton reconnaissance sea drone which has the wingspan of a small airliner and can
fly at a height of 10 miles for more than 24 hours.
Photo: Copyright Northrop Grumman Corporation

According to a report in The Telegraph, "The [UK] Ministry of Defence is considering using huge drones to patrol Britain’s coastline to help replace the axed Nimrod surveillance aircraft."

The article goes on to say that: "The RAF is lobbying the Government to buy a mixture of drones and conventional manned aircraft to plug the gap." And: "A defence source said: “We are looking at complementary capabilities. There is great mileage in drones for persistent surveillance and a maritime patrol aircraft for the more specific actions.”"

E.R. Campbell said:
Is this part of the answer?

Apparently the USN thinks so.  My understanding is that it was never the intention to replace the P-3 with just the P-8.  The intention is that the P-8 and the Triton go hand in hand.

At one point NATO AGS was similar.  Originally it was JSTARS.  Then there was going to be a HALE UAV coupled with a manned airborne battle management platform.  That then morphed into just the MALE,  using "another existing" NATO manned platform for the battle management piece.  As the contract was signed there was a lot of hand wringing that it was the wrong HALE (just a SAR/GMTI radar, no other sensors like were being used in Afghanistan).  Recent events in the Crimea *may* prove that the GMTI plus battle management wasn't such a bad idea after all...

There is an argument to be made that the Aurora replacement should be bigger than just ASW.  Keep the ability to intervene in ASW as required, but also add air battle management (ie AWACS) and airborne battle management (ie JSTARS); directly couple to a HALE UAV.  Cheap, no; easy, no; optimal, no; but given we can't afford individual platforms, useful, probably.  The result would be that it would not be perfect in any task, including ASW, but it would be useful in all.

We certainly have to get out of the mindset that is growing that UAVs, especially HALE, are just intel gathering assets, and everything should be piped back to Winnipeg.  Direct tactical is also an important role.  The USN and US Army gets it; the USAF does not.  Same wit Air Forces in lots of other countries, including the UK and Canada.

That probably goes to how the US Army and USN are organized and fight, Baz.  ;)

Good read, EITS, but my question is: should UAVs, like the MQ-4C Triton be part of our 'solution' to the multitude of tasks that may will, no doubt, arise? Or is a totally 'manned' fleet the better choice?

Edit to add:

What about costs?

Those familiar with my comments in the The End of the MCDVs thread will know that I think we ned to have affordable solutions ~ maybe not everything on the wish list, but as much as we can afford. Do UAVs help or hinder?

UAVs aren't free.  Most people overlook the comms tail that comes with them, to both control them and to get the info they gather backloaded. The US does much of their control via satellite constellation that cost them billions to develop and maintain. In a country like Canada, where a lot of our territory is North of 70, it gets even harder- you have to come up with a constellation of satellites in a polar orbit.

I think UAVs are part of the mix for Canada, but they won't come cheap.

Eye In The Sky said:
The 140 and crews do more than just ASW now. 

Punching Above Its Weight

My conment was directed at the recent thread here that in effect spoke to the idea was that the only thing MPAs do that UAVs can't is manned ASW intervention... an idea I don't completely agree with. What I was speaking to is the fact that the strength of the manned platform (AWACS; JSTARS, MPA) is the ability to battle manage.

Libya had a lack of ISR assets... anything was useful.  The Aurora was hindered in ita utility to supprt targeting by its lack of OTH backhaul, so they improvised.  Goid on them, but that doesn't m we should use resources to maintain that capabilty.  It ay be hard to maintain JTACs post Afghanistan...

By the way, I kept that article in my desk at AGS, to show certain ISR types a different way.  I also taljed ti a few JSTARS guys.

SeaKingTacco... conversely, UAVs have their place.  If you are backhauling anyway to support the ISRD and targeting, unmanned is cheaper and safer.  As you alluded to, that backhaul is expensive, but its the same cost whether its from a manned or unmanned platform.

I agree with ERC... we need to put the best mix of capabilities, that we can both afford to acquire and maintain, inxludingn train with, in our limited platforms.  Given that, and the realirties of a nation our size, in my opinion a HALe UAV, with SAR/GMTI/air to air/maritine radar, ESM, and EO/aIR, with the ability to work directly with an airborne battle manager like an MPA for the tactical fight; is good value; again, my opinion.

Back