• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cooks ( merged )

• Thread starter RebornXmetalhead
  • Start date
All Army reservists do BMQ Land, though it may be done out of sequence.

dapaterson said:
All Army reservists do BMQ Land, though it may be done out of sequence.
Okay so I just understand what you are saying someone can take the trades course first Then take BMQ-Land?

aka BMQ first / Trades Course 2nd / BMQ-Land 3rd??????

just wanted to make sure if that's what you meant

Yes, that can be done if necessary (due to course scheduling).

Off the top of my head, the initial (QL3) cook course is about 3 months long; it's followed by an on the job training package that takes 4-6 months to complete (if doing it full-time).

dapaterson said:
Yes, that can be done if necessary (due to course scheduling).

Off the top of my head, the initial (QL3) cook course is about 3 months long; it's followed by an on the job training package that takes 4-6 months to complete (if doing it full-time).
what if I decided to do supply tech and do bmq-land after? same thing?

Yes. Sup Tech can also do out of sequence training.  Generally, though, units will press to get the training done in sequence.

dapaterson said:
Yes. Sup Tech can also do out of sequence training.  Generally, though, units will press to get the training done in sequence.
But if for some reason it's better because of civil side stuff to do trades course in the summer, and then do part time-bmq land later? That's okay?

Hi everyone ,

Ill get right into it. Im looking into joining the forces in order to train and gain experience as cook.

I am bound by oath to my current employer for another 5 years but would love to slowly work at my dream of being a chef and would love idea of doing it through the military.

My question is , what is the culinary training like with our forces is it recognized ? Ive read on the forces website that proffesional training lasts for 16 weeks ? how is this compared to culinary schools in which training is a minimum of 12 months ?

My 2nd and most important question  , What does reserve cook do after professional training is done ?

I would like to return to my civilian job to fufill my duties but I am completely unware of where and how I will get my experience as a military cook ?

Some insight or referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmygrigs said:
My question is , what is the culinary training like with our forces is it recognized ?

Canadian Armed Forces Veterans & Reservists
https://www.collegeoftrades.ca/trade-assessment

See "Cook".

Jimmygrigs said:
What does reserve cook do after professional training is done ?

Question about Cooks in Reserve.
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RuVOLP0581cJ:https://army.ca/forums/index.php%3Ftopic%3D22719.0+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

The hardest part to my question that I can never seem to find info is the following

What does a cook do in the reserves after training ?

Am i obligated to perform my skill once a week or am do I just have my weekly reserve meetings ?

I find it hard to belive the forces would pay for my training have me never use it ?

If your Svc Bn has a mobile kitchen and a qualified Sgt Cook (qualified, but possible at MCpl rank), then the kitchen could be set up on weekend to provide a meal to your unit and/or other units who are working that weekend. A Sgt Cook is required to order fresh rations and supervise.

The balance of the time would be utilized to get more experience on all aspects of the mobile kitchen to fill in the gaps from the short time spent on the eqpt on crse. Preventive maintenance incl.

Otherwise you will be doing the same soldier training that all trades in the Svc Bn are doing such as wpns training (indoor shooting simulator), refresher trg of all soldier skills, prep for FTX (Field Training Exercise), post FTX clean up, etc. Learning to drive a military veh, backing the kitchen trailer, positioning, etc.

Others here will add info. DAP should be able to cfm if the first para is still current info.

Some of the newer armouries occupied by Svc Bns have industrial kitchens that are used in addition to the flying kitchens on parade nights and weekends.

That's some really helpful info. Exactly what I was looking for

I would love to hear from anyone who was a cook , reserve or both.

I really want too feel comfortable in a life where I take my civilian job and reserve obligations seriously and have a better feel of what to expect from those obligations.

Jimmygrigs said:
. . . My question is , what is the culinary training like with our forces is it recognized ? Ive read on the forces website that proffesional training lasts for 16 weeks ? how is this compared to culinary schools in which training is a minimum of 12 months ?

. . .

Don't compare cook training in the military to year long culinary schools that graduate individuals who may call themselves some variety of "chef" and whose expectation is that they will be fast tracking to positions of greater responsibility in higher end kitchens.  Instead, consider the military training to be inline with "apprentice" programs.  As an example, look at these two programs, both from the same institution, both dealing with food preparation, but widely different in program length and expectations.

Culinary skills (one year)
https://www.canadianfoodandwineinstitute.ca/cfwiprograms/culinary-skills/

Cook (Two 15-week sessions in conjunction with approximately three years of paid on-the-job training i.e. apprenticeship)
https://www.niagaracollege.ca/apprenticeships/explore/cook/

The link previously given you about recognition of military cook training stated the minimum trade level for Red Seal certification was "QL5".  This usually is further indicated to be "Regular Force" training and experience; generally a tradesman in the Reg Force will attain QL5 after 3 to 4 years in the CF (about the same time to meet eligibility for promotion to Cpl) and following completion of further courses and usually a specified OJT program.

Back