• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Constraining Canadian Federal Budget during Post COVID Downturn

Dalhousie has an AG College in Truro.

I'm honestly not sure how it would compare with Guelph's programs.
Prairie Universities have two different programs depending on what field you want; Diploma for applied ag (you are on the farm to make money)
Degree if you want to pursue a career in crop or animal science, or work for Big Ag (Bayer, Monsanto, etc)

In Manitoba:

Saskatchewan
Degree - College of Agriculture and Bioresources | University of Saskatchewan
Diploma - Agriculture and Food Production

Alberta and BC have similar programs

Isnt ironic that we are lamenting the over saturation of post secondary qualification and here we are talking about a degree for a farmer ?
My dad is grad of University of Manitoba Agricultural Diploma, Class of 1952

It's weird though, because a lot of people are working 2-3 part time jobs to get those degrees, and those are generally unskilled labour, so it's not like there is a lack of work ethic as they are grinding themselves to the bone. Seems more of a disconnect with achieving the degree then what they can actually do with the credentials and how it translates into getting paid.

This is a really great point. It’s fun and trendy to shit on the newest generation (always has been, always will be), but those working to support themselves through a degree are in many cases working their asses off to do it- and that without the motivator the the same degree of general social and economic hope that many of us have enjoyed. I don’t know how a lot of them do it, and I respect what they’re putting in. I’m doing another undergraduate degree through part time studies right now (more of my questionable life choices), and I think by and large the kids are alright. They’ve just been led down some not great paths by adults who by now should have known better.

Guelph also has one of the best vet programs in the country so there was some overlap there as well. I don't know if there is anything else like it in the country. I think it's one of those unique programs that is at a university but a lot more hands on and practical like you would expect for a college, which I think is the best of both worlds for a lot of fields.
U of Sask has the Western Canadian Veterinary College which produces Veterinarians for all the Western Provinces and Territories.

Although Alberta started their own because, well, its Alberta. (They are starting to piss even me off)

Not really. The two year program is an incredible hands on diploma

And I'm sure no offense meant, but you should spent a couple of hours listening to farm radio show to appreciate the complexity of the career and life. Farm kids hitting Ridgetown is in no way credential driven.

No offense meant at all. I come from a family of farmers around Enterprise, Ont. My grandfathers and back certainly never had any formal education. And they farmed their whole lives. One used to drive cattle on horseback from Enterprise to Ottawa for market.

You know who will likely persue a career in skilled trades? Immigrants. They'll gobble up the good paying jobs while the 3 in 4 Canadians fight it out for the scraps. The rest will just live under never ending social welfare and complain about lack of jobs (for them) and resort to becoming activists for whatever the trendy topic of the day is.

Ah yes, Schrödinger's immigrants. They're both "stealing our jobs" and on welfare. :rolleyes:

Ah yes, Schrödinger's immigrants. They're both "stealing our jobs" and on welfare. :rolleyes:
Interestingly immigrants are most likely to become entrepreneurs and starting businesses and employing more Canadians. Their kids are also more likely to pursue higher education in fields that are actually higher paying., engineering, médecine, STEM etc.

I would like to offer you that most in my generation (I'm a Milennial) we're sold the lie that all they needed was a degree and then boom...Management.
The whole ‘get a degree’ thing had/has a fundamental flaw if one doesn’t dive down into applicability of what degree that someone might find enjoyable/useful in their lives. More unfortunate was the implicit (or worse, explicit) blacklisting/diminishing of the trades.

The whole ‘get a degree’ thing had/has a fundamental flaw if one doesn’t dive down into applicability of what degree that someone might find enjoyable/useful in their lives. More unfortunate was the implicit (or worse, explicit) blacklisting/diminishing of the trades.
Universities and colleges to a certain degree jumped at the whole thing. A lot of degrees are just money making schemes for those institutions of higher learning.

Universities and colleges to a certain degree jumped at the whole thing. A lot of degrees are just money making schemes for those institutions of higher learning.
I was going to mention the self-interest factor of universities (more so than colleges) in pushing the degree thing…particularly what is far from an altruistic angle (as you note 😉).

I was going to mention the self-interest factor of universities (more so than colleges) in pushing the degree thing…particularly what is far from an altruistic angle (as you note 😉).
Yeah, it’s not as rampant at the college level but still have some (Police Foundations being a major money maker and is of questionable value in my mind)

Yeah, it’s not as rampant at the college level but still have some (Police Foundations being a major money maker and is of questionable value in my mind)
Some at the college level for sure, but I’m willing to cut them (colleges) some slack in general, because I believe that large majority of their work is in good faith to provide reasonably well-trained/skilled people for a wide range of practical and valuable/needed work in society. My wife has a blended technical/humanities degree and years later got a college diploma in a separate discipline unrelated directly to her double-major degree. She went on to teach at the college level for many years and found that more rewarding than he previous technically-focused degree-supported work. I actually consider from time to time a return to school but also, like my wife, at the college level for a technical diploma (electrician), and see about using that as a practical post-post-post-retirement gig for fun and helping society a bit here and there (housing).

I was talking about Canadians, not immigrants, considering the article was about 3 out of 4 Canadians.

So in the mid 2000s I had the chance to witness the creation of a technical high school focused on trades while I worked as a recruiter and was invited to an info session. They had correctly identified at that time a huge need and gap. The high school is focused on trades and programs that can lead to apprenticeships. Partnerships with local trade businesses and professionals. The school is co located with la cite Collégiale. At the time it was very unique. Not sure if this has been emulated or not but more of this is needed.

U of Sask has the Western Canadian Veterinary College which produces Veterinarians for all the Western Provinces and Territories.

Although Alberta started their own because, well, its Alberta. (They are starting to piss even me off)

There was also a large shortage of any Vet in most of the prairies with U of S not able to generate enough grads....it was/is an excellent program and still remains a leader in the profession. But if you couldn't get into the U of S program most folks I met ended up going to the USA for schooling and then maybe returning to Canada to practice.

Still a large number coming out of U of S but the newer facility at U of Calgary has really helped fill the void...half the vets I saw this year were U of C grads. And at least U of C also has the medical programs at the same site (unlike some of the Agriculture schools in Alberta) which melds well with diagnostic side of things.

It’s incredibly hard to get into farming unless you were raised on a farm and learned everything from birth. This at least is one way to get people into it.

Or, learn on the job. I remember guys who were so burnt out on Operations they got sent down to "The Farm" for a "rest cure". They were happy as pigs in sH## and didn't want to come back!

Among other critters, they took care of poultry, water fowl, goats, sheep, pigs, cows, donkeys, horses...

When my grandfather retired he bought a hobby farm. Dad and I used to visit.
But, Grandpa didn't really know how to farm.

Readers old enough to remember the TV show "Green Acres" will get the idea.

It’s fun and trendy to shit on the newest generation (always has been, always will be),

I came under the watchful eyes of the '46ers when I started my employment: "The Big War. Your WW2."

My father was born in 1926. He had been in it too. So had most of my friends dads. On both sides.

So, we knew how they talked, and smoked and drank.

Guess I sort of looked up to them.

There was also a large shortage of any Vet in most of the prairies with U of S not able to generate enough grads....it was/is an excellent program and still remains a leader in the profession. But if you couldn't get into the U of S program most folks I met ended up going to the USA for schooling and then maybe returning to Canada to practice.

Still a large number coming out of U of S but the newer facility at U of Calgary has really helped fill the void...half the vets I saw this year were U of C grads. And at least U of C also has the medical programs at the same site (unlike some of the Agriculture schools in Alberta) which melds well with diagnostic side of things.
Large animal vets are a huge problem everywhere.
I see your point though.

The agreement was to split the Atlantic Veterinarian College at UPEI in Charlottetown while the Agricultural College was established in Truro, NS. It's only the past 10 years (???) that Dalhousie University absorbed the Ag College.

Back