• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"COMBAT SCHOOL" Starts on Discovery Channel 10 Mar 09

Unfortunately I had to work tonight and was not able to catch the episode.  Anyone know of anywhere I can see the episode online? 

Seems to be only the web extras for now but if its going to be like Jetstream, the episodes are available online the following week.

http://watch.discoverychannel.ca/combat-school-/#clip146250

I enjoyed the show,  unfortunately it's on the same time as The Hour and Jason Segel was on.  So I missed a few minutes...

I liked it.  Pretty neat to really see what goes on during the pre-deployment training. 

It's on at other times too:
http://www.discoverychannel.ca/Showpage.aspx?sid=14403

(EST) Select time zone
AST
CST
MST
NST
PST
SHOWTIMES
Full show listings

Wednesday, March 11 2009
4:00 PM
Combat School: One Platoon
Forty men and women from 1 Platoon, Mike Company, 3rd Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment begin training for the most intense combat situation they've ever faced; the platoon travels to Fort Bliss, Texas, which mimics the Afghan terrain, to begin training.
Duration: 60 minutes
Click anywhere to close

Thursday, March 12 2009
11:00 AM
Combat School: One Platoon
Forty men and women from 1 Platoon, Mike Company, 3rd Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment begin training for the most intense combat situation they've ever faced; the platoon travels to Fort Bliss, Texas, which mimics the Afghan terrain, to begin training.
Click anywhere to close

Tuesday, March 17 2009
10:00 PM
Combat School: Ep. 2
With the reality that 1 Platoon is further behind in training than any other platoon at Fort Bliss, company commander Oberwarth does not mince words to get them motivated; the soldiers learn to clear a mock village of Taliban.
Click anywhere to close

Wednesday, March 18
1:00 AM
With the reality that 1 Platoon is further behind in training than any other platoon at Fort Bliss, company commander Oberwarth does not mince words to get them motivated; the soldiers learn to clear a mock village of Taliban.
Click anywhere to close

Wednesday, March 18 2009
4:00 PM
Click anywhere to close

Mark
Ottawa

Cool, I'm watching it right now!!  Turns out I do have Discovery Channel!
4.gif

Ah hahaha! Dan Martin on the first show.. getting nail for not taking a knee. Him and I did our PLQ together. Good guy...

Watched it last night.... the Mrs also watched it - she got a better idea of what the lead up training was all about.  I enjoyed the Italian fella from Montreal - doesn't tell his mum that he jumps out of planes (para coy) and tells her that he's just gone down to the US - to hang around with the Yanks ;) ... Unfortunately for me... the Mrs also heard that & now knows that I have had a tendency to minimize what I do when away

I thought it was quite realistic: like training for desert warfare at 20 below in the snow (yes, it has all been done before!).

Question: Do we really need to go to Texas to do this type of live fire training? I don't know enough about our own ranges anymore to comment.

Well done VRI! Get some...

Sadly Dafty yeah we do.

Many ranges here are just not adequate for what we need to do once we mover past Coy level.

I thought the show was very  educational for the viewer at home to see what  our fine soldiers do. Very entertaining to see  even the full timers make mistakes and get read the  riot act. I remember the riot act being read to me as a recruit often enough and on my  CLC . I hope the guys who on the show get to see the hard work they  do and the  problems they  come across with humour and light hearted feelings towards the  video crew for catching them at their worse and at their best.
Beats any  show I have seen on the Military  Channel about training them darn Yankees.
I cannot wait to see the next show

In a North American context, training in Texas in winter is a good thing.
You could probably do the same in Wainwright during the summer.

BUT, Ft Bliss does a good job of emulating where we will ultimately have to fight.... cheap (inexpensive) at any price

daftandbarmy said:
I thought it was quite realistic: like training for desert warfare at 20 below in the snow (yes, it has all been done before!).

Question: Do we really need to go to Texas to do this type of live fire training? I don't know enough about our own ranges anymore to comment.

I think you answered your own question. This training was done during winter. Snow and cold do not make for effective weapons training, esp when you are in prep for ops somewhere where there is neither in that extreme.

Mr Plow said:
Ah hahaha! Dan Martin on the first show.. getting nail for not taking a knee. Him and I did our PLQ together. Good guy...

I am guessing you weren't taught about those metal leg thingies that flip out from under the front grip of the C9. They would make the gun shoot straighter if they are placed on the ground and the shooter is laying behind it.

I liked it as well. I was quite pleased that it didn't seem overly "sanitized" which is what I was worried about mostly. Looking forward to next week.

The CSM talking to the Sgt's was classic  ;D

Wook

Seen a few Royals I recognized, and had to laugh at the f*ckups that people commit the first couple days of an ex. Some things never change but I'm sure they will get up to speed before deploying.

If they don't I feel sorry for the NCO's!

"contact, white out!!"

I am surprised that they never had anyone from the military listen to the radio chatter that they transcribed at the bottom of the screen.  Any soldier that has gotten past their DP1 could tell you that the voice procedure is "wait, out".

Little things like that burn me... just take an hour to have a REAL soldier or two watch the show before you send it up the pipes.  I suggested the same thing to the reporters that visited us in Afghanistan - let me proof read before you send it up to avoid the dreaded Cpt. bloggins and Pvt. mistakes.

/end rant.. off to lunch.

Bzz, I saw that too and kind of gave a chuckle.  What's White-Out going to do, is there a mistake?  ;)

However, I agree with you on having it vetted/edited by military personnel.

Back