• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

com research, sig ops, or ceotp????

systemdog

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am hoping to get some informed advice.... I currently have a university diploma and 10+ years or experience as a Network/Systems admin/Network Security Analyst/Systems Analyst/Programmer.  I am 32 years old and have a family, I make a really good wage running my own small consultancy.

I am considering joining the military as either... Com Research Operator, Signals Operator, or the Continuing Education Office Training Program.
I would like to know what I might not be considering regarding this.  As well I am hoping anyone who had taken one of the above three routes can tell me how they found it.  I make the above choice based on the descriptions of the various trades and there civilian equivalents.

I look forward to any replies.

Cheers :cdn:

Continuing Education Office Training Program.

This program has been closed for quite a while now and there is no indication that it will reopen anytime soon so no university degree means no officer occupations.

By the way what is an university diploma   and where did you get it?

I have a Computer Systems Operations and Management diploma (2 years) from Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops BC.

It is directly transferable to 3rd year in a computer science degree.

CEOTP is closed? and not plan to reopen?? that is unfortunate..... ???

That being said.... is the primary difference between NCM and Officer a hands on in the trade as opposed to management??  This is what it sounds like in the recruiting literature.  other than pay in your own words what is the distinction.

I ask because I enjoy being hands on a little more than a purely management type... (If I was looking to work a desk I would continue what I am doing now.)

Perhaps I am going about this wrong... If any of you were looking to join the military in an Information Technology capacity what would you be looking into?

any advice is appreciated.

LCIS techs I hear are the real IT deal. Yes officers are managers and NCM's are the worker bees. If you want a more hands on approach then it should be non commisioned. Some officer trades do get their hands dirty, but most of it is administration. At least that's what the dark side say.  >:D

systemdog said:
That being said.... is the primary difference between NCM and Officer a hands on in the trade as opposed to management??   This is what it sounds like in the recruiting literature.   other than pay in your own words what is the distinction.

I ask because I enjoy being hands on a little more than a purely management type... (If I was looking to work a desk I would continue what I am doing now.)

Perhaps I am going about this wrong... If any of you were looking to join the military in an Information Technology capacity what would you be looking into?

any advice is appreciated.

LCIS TECH, ATIS TECH, NAV COMM, and SIG OP are all good IT based, albeit later in career, occupations.

EW said:
Systemdog,

I watch the various officer courses arrive for tours of the operations environment, and see them get deflated when they learn that the vast majority of the hands on work is done by the NCM's, and they will almost strictly work in the admin environment.  I've always thought it kind of daft, especially when most of these young officers have degrees in engineering and computer science.

I don't want to slam the Sig Op trade, but if you are looking for a long term to work those skills you describe, I wouldn't be looking at Sig Op.  I am a Comm Researcher who works very closely with ATIS and LCIS techs, and I think that is the way you want to go.  I have also worked with Sig Ops for many years in the Signals Regiment, and from what you've described as your ambitions I don't think it is that relevant.  You would certainly be over qualified for the level of IT work required.

I would be remiss if I didn't continue to push you toward the Comm Rsch trade, I think you'll find it very interesting from an IT perspective, albeit from a different perspective.  Of course, as stated I am biased toward that trade, but my opinion is based on what you have stated.

Cheers ....

Thanks that shakes out some of the uncertainty for me ... so typically what do com researchers fill there days with? 

If I read your post right you suggest that Comm Research is the trade best fitting my qualifications (not SigOps, LCIS, ATIS, or NavyCom)  I do want to stick with something that gives me additional education and experience in what I am already strong at.

Network Security is my focus.  Also what can you tell me about the intake volume as I have been gently warned off of Com Research by the recruiting office.  They say 2 few positions.... long slow road to advancement...

I am hoping that I can get in as a skilled or semi-skilled NCM not sure what they base this on.

Cheers and thanks :cdn:

WOW thanks EW!  That pretty much clinches it for me.  Until starting this thread I was just not finding any concrete answers about anything.  Your post and the links to additional information have helped me to make up my mind.  I will be applying for COMM RSCH.  :salute:

Cheers  :cdn:

calling all comm rsch last thing I would like to know ( 4 now  ;D ) is how long did it take for you to get accepted from application to first posting? 

Thanks for all the anwsers all!!  great forum and site

Cheers

Interesting EW, I live about five minutes away from Leitrim and have always wondered what they do there.

I also find interesting to hear your information on an IT related trade with the CF. I was pointed in the same direction as System Dog when I visited the recruiting centre. I decided on SigOp as a reservist with the 763 Regiment on Walkley Dr. this summer but my employer changed their mind about releasing me for BMQ. I then learned that the cozy little contract I have been working on for five years is not going to be renewed this Fall by the client - go figure.

I have been thinking of joining the CF as I am tired of the insecurity of the IT industry and quite honestly am interested in a more challenging career but haven't been able to find a trade that matches my education or previous work experience. Most positions in the Civie world are 3-6 month contracts; that kind of uncertainty is just not for me.

Thanks for the post guys, I had a look at the description on the DND site and it sounds like a good fit for me too.

" Also what can you tell me about the intake volume as I have been gently warned off of Com Research by the recruiting office.  They say 2 few positions.... long slow road to advancement... " quote from Systemdog

I am very interested in this thread. I am near the end of the application process and have applied to Communications Research. Can anyone tell me about the above quoted statement? I was under the impression that there were too many positions and not enough people who wanted to go into Comms Research.

EW or any other Comm Researchers, what can you tell me about the job? I know that there isn't much about the duties themselves, but what about the other qualities that make a job satisfying?

Thank you!

Thank you for your reply. Very disappointing news, but thanks.

Can anyone tell me what normally happens in this situation? Do I go on a holding pattern until a position opens? Does my recruiting process stop here?

REJ said:
Thank you for your reply. Very disappointing news, but thanks.

Can anyone tell me what normally happens in this situation? Do I go on a holding pattern until a position opens? Does my recruiting process stop here?

WHAT?  There are 75 positions available now.

So, this is good, then. I was taken aback by the 291 wanting a position.

Thank you.

REJ said:
So, this is good, then. I was taken aback by the 291 wanting a position.

Thank you.

291 is the Military Occupation Code for Comm Rsch.

KinCanucks..... this is a tough question i know but seeing as you are always a wealth of knowledge here goes anyways.....

Do you know what qualifications are required to enter as a semi-skilled 291? or is it even possible for 291? 

Cheers  :salute:

systemdog said:
KinCanucks..... this is a tough question i know but seeing as you are always a wealth of knowledge here goes anyways.....

Do you know what qualifications are required to enter as a semi-skilled 291? or is it even possible for 291?  

Cheers   :salute:

There are three ways to enter as a Comm Rsch:  unskilled, recruit school bypass and skilled.  It is one of those trades like clerk that can not be entered under semi-skilled.

Back