• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cold Weather Policy - DND Ceremonial

NFLD Sapper said:
Think over your post again.

I know, I know. But Pipers are really the only ones who can say that they froze their bag off and really mean it.

OldSolduer said:
Is this official DND Policy from on high?

I have my doubts.  The newpaper article states DND set a "threshold of [outdoor] participation" (quotes theirs).  Preventive Medicine has no definitive rules regarding cold weather, it is an administrative/leadership thing.  Much like the work/rest cycle for heat, everything is only a recommendation.  My office received a couple of phone calls regarding this situation and the only references we used were the safety manuals and other material regarding wind chill.  IIRC, the members on parade were to be only in DEU, no overcoat, no toques and no gloves.

Well, having seen this post reminds me of a story. :warstory:

Helmets on!!

We used to fall in every morning in Winnipeg on the parade square, not matter what the conditions. Our headdress was berets. ON of our WO's decided his troops should wear toques.
That earned him a scathing reprimand from the CSM, who stated that the dress was berets, and the RSM was the one that set dress policy, not a Platoon 2I/C.

The WO argued his point, tactfully. By the end of the day common sense had come back and the troops were allowed to wear toques in the winter.

What is needed is a common sense policy and leaders with common sense.
The old fur hat and greatcoat are a start, IF troops are to parade in DEU in the winter.

:warstory:

Going along with OldSolduer, just recently (early 2007) in Borden, a Capt marched his troops from CFMSS to the shacks.  It was very cold (below -20) with a wind chill as well.  Since one of the troops had forgotten their toque, (which I doubt as she used to claim she was allergic to wool and wouldn't wear it), he marched everyone in berets.  Some of the troops got frostbite on their ears and the Capt was charged.  Which goes back to it being leadership and common sense.

Edit to add:  This wasn't one of my courses.  It was a Med Tech QL3 course when I was on my 6A.

PMedMoe said:
:warstory:

Going along with OldSolduer, just recently (early 2007) in Borden, a Capt marched his troops from CFMSS to the shacks.  It was very cold (below -20) with a wind chill as well.  Since one of the troops had forgotten their toque, (which I doubt as she used to claim she was allergic to wool and wouldn't wear it), he marched everyone in berets.  Some of the troops got frostbite on their ears and the Capt was charged.  Which goes back to it being leadership and common sense.

Edit to add:  This wasn't one of my courses.  It was a Med Tech QL3 course when I was on my 6A.

thanks Moe.
Question:

1. Why was a Captain marching troops? That is a job for a MCpl/Sgt or a Cpl, not a Captain.

2. Did the said troop have a med chit allowing her to wear an alternative headdress? ie civilian fleece toque.

OldSolduer said:
thanks Moe.
Question:

1. Why was a Captain marching troops? That is a job for a MCpl/Sgt or a Cpl, not a Captain.

2. Did the said troop have a med chit allowing her to wear an alternative headdress? ie civilian fleece toque.

1.  I have no idea, maybe he was already in trouble?

2.  Not that I know of.  I always wanted to tell her that her beret was wool, as was her DEUs.  ;)

There's lots of people out there these days with medical chits for "wool allergy" - we get to buy them special stuff to wear.

I especially liked the number of females who would mysteriously show up with medical chits all of a sudden reading "polyester allergy" ... when they became pregnant, thus avoiding having to wear that montrousity of maternity uniform made by Omar the Tent Maker.

ArmyVern said:
I especially liked the number of females who would mysteriously show up with medical chits all of a sudden reading "polyester allergy" ... when they became pregnant, thus avoiding having to wear that montrousity of maternity uniform made by Omar the Tent Maker.

So thankful the clerk at Clothing told me I wasn't entitled to it as I was a reservist.  I got to wear civvies!

Ha!

I am suprised that as part time CF Mbr, there is no maternity clothing entitlement for pregnant Mbrs.

Seems foolish?

Wes

Overwatch Downunder said:
Ha!

I am suprised that as part time CF Mbr, there is no maternity clothing entitlement for pregnant Mbrs.

Seems foolish?

Wes

Doesn't seem foolish if they're not on contract; let's not forget that they don't parade anyway. Res on C/B Class are entitled.

Wes,
On the green side of the house, pers wear Combats most of the times... they just get bigger ones for the duration of the pregnancy.  Also possible to use elastic gussets to keep the combats snug without it being too tight.

geo said:
Wes,
On the green side of the house, pers wear Combats most of the times... they just get bigger ones for the duration of the pregnancy.  Also possible to use elastic gussets to keep the combats snug without it being too tight.

Some use bigger sizes, some don't.

The ones you see wearing the elastic gussets on the back of their cadpat shirts are actually wearing maternity cadpat (yes - it does exist). Those pants have a nice little polyester tummy inset into them too.

I think Moe is reffering to the gorgeous maternity wear that we used to wear as DEUs/work dress way back when.

I don't understand why they cannot be employed.

So if one is Cl A, and is pregnant, they are not allowed to work after X weeks?

Example:  a clerk who cannt enter pay on the computer on a Tuesday night because she is pregnant? And if she was allowed, a military force which will not give her the correct uniform to keep her comfortable.

If I was a pregnant reservist, I think I would feel as was getting the wrong end of the stick, and almost victimised for being pregant.

Cheers,

Wes

EDITed to note of my silly spelling mistakes

Wes... not saying that they can't come in.... the do... quite often almost till term.
Like I said - they just wear combats -  we don,t wear DEUs all that often anyway

ArmyVern said:
I think Moe is referring to the gorgeous maternity wear that we used to wear as DEUs/work dress way back when.

Yeppers.  As far as I know, I was entitled to it but the clerk didn't like reservists.  Didn't bother me.

I don't understand why they cannot be employed.

To clear things up, I was an Air reservist (ARAF).  I was working class A, 10 days a month at CFB Gander (at the time).  No parading on weeknights and weekends for me, thanks.

The only thing I found stupid was that I was not allowed to work into the month I was due.  ???  I was due Jun 25th (I think) and was not allowed to work in June at all.  Since I didn't give birth until the 17th, I could have worked my 10 days that month.

For what it's worth, I stopped work at the end of May, gave birth in June and went back to work after the long weekend in Aug and fit into my work dress, which is a lot less forgiving than combats!  ;D

I don't understand why they cannto be employed.

So if one is Cl A, and is pregant, they are not allowed to work after X weeks?

Example:  a clerk who cannt enter pay on the computer on a Tuesday night because she is pregant? And if she was allowed, a military force which will not give her the correct uniform to keep her comfortable.

If I was a pregant reservist, I think I would feel as was getting the wrong end of the stick, and almost victimised for being pregant.

Cheers,

Wes

Wes,

They can be employed. I meant "parade" in the truest "parade" (with marching/forming up et al) sense of the word. On A Class, they may show up on night - they may not. Why pay out the expense to kit them out in maternity uniforms (they get more than one) when they may/may not show up to 'work'? After finding out they're pregnant - perhaps around 8 weeks - that leaves approx 32 nights of wearing it for 2-3 hours (if they show every single night).

Is it worth the expense when most women are much more comfortable wearing honest-to-goodness maternity clothing anyway? They aren't supposed to be working any weekends etc as their chits read "regular work, meals, sleeping hours".

Believe you me --- most of them were very thankful of that rule.

Piper said:
being tasked to an honour guard is a task sought after as much as a swift kick in the nuts.

I am a proud member our Departmental HG. I've been with the company a long time, but had to "audition" just like anyone else. 
We form up at the Coroner's Office.
No matter how cold and dark it is, the soldiers always come out and shake our hands. 
We attended a reception at the CF college in Armour Heights last summer.

OldSolduer said:
Well, having seen this post reminds me of a story. :warstory:

Helmets on!!

We used to fall in every morning in Winnipeg on the parade square, not matter what the conditions. Our headdress was berets. ON of our WO's decided his troops should wear toques.
That earned him a scathing reprimand from the CSM, who stated that the dress was berets, and the RSM was the one that set dress policy, not a Platoon 2I/C.

The WO argued his point, tactfully. By the end of the day common sense had come back and the troops were allowed to wear toques in the winter.

What is needed is a common sense policy and leaders with common sense.
The old fur hat and greatcoat are a start, IF troops are to parade in DEU in the winter.

Sounds like Max "the axe"

Back