• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cold Weather Policy - DND Ceremonial

bannerman

Inactive
Reaction score
The Department of National Defence set a "threshold of [outdoor] participation" last week, effectively doing away with ceremony when it's below -10C. - Globe and Mail, January 27, 2009

"The primary reason for setting this threshold is we are simply not equipped with ceremonial dress for extreme cold weather," one official said.

This strikes me as a lie, plain and simple. Ceremonial Guards outside in cold weather have worn greatcoats (and capes) since the Crimean War.

How was the new flag raised, with much pomp and ceremony, in February 1965, in the presence of an elderly Governor General Vanier, if not with a Guard of Honour (like everybody else on Parliament Hill) in greatcoats?

Unless someone has evidence to the contrary, this is simply a case of the DND anti-tradition brigade up to its usual mendacious (i.e. dishonest) work.

If you're going to make comments, a link would have been nice.

Article Link

Veteran Liberal strategist Jerry Yanover believes there may have been a few times when Parliament was called back so suddenly that the pomp and circumstance was dispensed with, citing the fall of 1939 as a possible case.

"We weren't exactly mobilized in '39," he said.

Mr. Yanover doesn't think it is "a big thing" that there was no honour guard yesterday.

"I think it was humane," he says.

It was a sentiment echoed at the legion. "The poor little guy that's pulling the lanyard on the gun will probably be there 40-45 minutes before, and he's bloody cold, okay?" Mr. Butt said. "So, the bottom line is let tradition be tradition, but let common sense rule."

More on link

Must have been a slow news day.   ::)

Well,

I was in Ottawa, and it was freaking cold!

Yes, I am a City boy, but it was the coldest I have ever experienced.  I walked to the CMC from my hotel in Downtown Ottawa (Steps fromt he War Monument) and My eyelashes had icicles!

dileas

tess

bannerman said:
Unless someone has evidence to the contrary, this is simply a case of the DND anti-tradition brigade up to its usual mendacious (i.e. dishonest) work.

Ah ... the DND anti-tradition brigade ... those bastards.  Yup, nothing should ever change because if we've ever done anything more than twice, it's a tradition and should be set in permafrost.

Michael O`Leary said:
should be set in permafrost.

As would some personnel be had they paraded (in DEU, no topcoat, no toque and no gloves) on Monday morning.  ;)

Are we allowed to provide a list of names we'd like to see stuck outside when it's -35 in the wind?

(Present company excluded, of course...)

the 48th regulator said:
I was in Ottawa, and it was freaking cold!

Yesterday morning I walked from PT at the YMCA gym on Argyle to my office on Queen and my wet towel and T shirt froze in my gym bag.  Cold?  YES!!

Michael O`Leary said:
Ah ... the DND anti-tradition brigade ... those bastards.  Yup, nothing should ever change because if we've ever done anything more than twice, it's a tradition and should be set in permafrost.

However, we've opened Parliament quite a few more times than twice.  Surely that's a tradition by any definition?

N. McKay said:
However, we've opened Parliament quite a few more times than twice.  Surely that's a tradition by any definition?

So, after doing something how many times are we then never allowed to change it?

N. McKay said:

I've scratched my hemorrhoids more than a few times....................please don't tell me its now a tradition and I am thus forever bound.

picard-facepalm.jpg

bannerman said:
The Department of National Defence set a "threshold of [outdoor] participation" last week, effectively doing away with ceremony when it's below -10C. - Globe and Mail, January 27, 2009

"The primary reason for setting this threshold is we are simply not equipped with ceremonial dress for extreme cold weather," one official said.

This strikes me as a lie, plain and simple. Ceremonial Guards outside in cold weather have worn greatcoats (and capes) since the Crimean War.

How was the new flag raised, with much pomp and ceremony, in February 1965, in the presence of an elderly Governor General Vanier, if not with a Guard of Honour (like everybody else on Parliament Hill) in greatcoats?

One quick comment;

I'm assuming the original poster has never done any ceremonial duty outside during the winter. Because it sucks, big time, and there is no ceremonial wear that even remotely protects from the cold (not to mention issues like how cold affects musical instruments).

Name:  bannerman
Position:  Guest
Date Registered:  March 18, 2008, 11:13:31
Last Active:  Today at 09:20:00

It was a post and run.  Could I suggest changing the "r" in this person's user name to a "d" ?  ;)

Not to mention, this is NOT official DND policy.

Piper said:
One quick comment;

I'm assuming the original poster has never done any ceremonial duty outside during the winter. Because it sucks, big time, and there is no ceremonial wear that even remotely protects from the cold (not to mention issues like how cold affects musical instruments).
Bring back the greatcoat and fur hat we had with our CFs. :blotto:

Nah.  Let's see the ceremonial guard in bib overalls and parkas.

To the OP, I fail to see the need to force some guys to freeze their balls off just so a few dignitaries can have a ceremony they probably dont pay any attention to or give two shits about.

It's prudence and common sense.  I attended the repatriation ceremony for WO Wilson, Cpl McLaren, and Pte Diplaros at Trenton and it was unbelievably cold.  The pipes couldn't play because it was too cold, and people were getting frostbite already.  The CDS ordered the ceremony shortened, by having everyone march off once the families left the apron, rather than waiting for the cortege to leave.  I don't see an issue with that really.  The Honour Guard were having a pretty tough go of it.

Meanwhile, last week -20 (without windchill) in Edmonton, and a 10 km run.  ???

stealthylizard said:
Meanwhile, last week -20 (without windchill) in Edmonton, and a 10 km run.   ???

Down to the end of the old runway and back ........in a wicked cross-wind ?

Those were the days......... :mad:

Back