• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CMMA - replacing the CP140 Aurora

Is there space at CFB Comox for 7-8 737s and associated hangar?

or re-invest in Summerside

The entire base infrastructure has been sold off and in use. not to mention the runways and their condition. ZX houses all 3 of the FG, FE and FD Sqns and associated simulator spaces, weapons storage areas etc.

407 won’t have that many tails. The majority of the fleet is and will be based out of ZX.

If historical trends follow, the Demons will be the last Sqn to convert.
I would suspect you are correct- the Demons will fly the remaining hours off the CP-140 fleet and convert last. I don’t think their WW2 era wooden hangar is tall enough for a P8 tail. Mind you, it has spectacular Old growth Doug Fir beams in it. Some contractor will pay DND to dismantle the hangar, just to get the wood.

I’d love to see 407 have a “building with windows”. Imagine - windows in offices. Fresh air…craziness.

They also were the hold-overs for Block 3 and 4; maybe the CAG / Comd will go crazy and put them thru P-8 CT first? (Not holding my breathe on that one…)

I’ll add one more thing to my personal wishlist for the fleet; assign aircraft to Sqns. Loads of people would probably be like…

John Krasinski Crying GIF by SAG Awards

I’ll add one more thing to my personal wishlist for the fleet; assign aircraft to Sqns. Loads of people would probably be like…

Is the MPA world still playing with centralized maintenance and pooled aircraft? How many decades will have to pass before they are certain that does not work?

I love how the MX-20HD is on the FMS notice. Isn't that still made in Canada at the L3 Harris (Wescam) facility in Hamilton?
So it would be better to split them out and purchase as DCS with higher unit price and no support package, so acquisition and repairs would be more expensive? 🤔

Hitting Is the MPA world still playing with centralized maintenance and pooled aircraft? How many decades will have to pass before they are certain that does not work?

Yes; how many hours Wing and Sqn Ops and planners spend tail-chasing is mind-boggling.

It certainly doesn’t have a significant effect on OT&E / FD when your Sqn by default is Pri 3 on a good day and serviceability is “what you’d expect from 40 year old airframes”. 👌🏻

flinch game show GIF by Stellify Media

I would suspect you are correct- the Demons will fly the remaining hours off the CP-140 fleet and convert last. I don’t think their WW2 era wooden hangar is tall enough for a P8 tail. Mind you, it has spectacular Old growth Doug Fir beams in it. Some contractor will pay DND to dismantle the hangar, just to get the wood.

I’d love to see 407 have a “building with windows”. Imagine - windows in offices. Fresh air…craziness.

They also were the hold-overs for Block 3 and 4; maybe the CAG / Comd will go crazy and put them thru P-8 CT first? (Not holding my breathe on that one…)

Now see, a clever project engineer might figure out how to build a building with old growth beams AND windows.

Wait, so a given airframe doesn’t belong to a specific squadron? How the hell does that work?

Back