• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CMMA - replacing the CP140 Aurora

"...the government has determined that the P-8A Poseidon is the only currently available aircraft that meets all of the CMMA operational requirements, namely anti-submarine warfare and C4ISR."

"Canada has recently submitted a Letter of Request (LOR) through the United States government’s Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program outlining Canada’s requirements and requesting an offer. These requirements include up to 16 P-8A Poseidon aircraft..."

"...the government has determined that the P-8A Poseidon is the only currently available aircraft that meets all of the CMMA operational requirements, namely anti-submarine warfare and C4ISR."

"Canada has recently submitted a Letter of Request (LOR) through the United States government’s Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program outlining Canada’s requirements and requesting an offer. These requirements include up to 16 P-8A Poseidon aircraft..."
For your resident crayon eater - is this good?

A larger fleet might require press gangs for WestJet pilots...
Just a thought. That sounds like a great career path if you can. Join the RCAF become a pilot. Go for a P-8 seat. Would you not be fully type rated? And could you go straight to flying for Westjet etc?

Also would your flying in the P-8 be like things other 737 pilots would never do?

The airliner-only types aren’t going to be flying like military P-8 ones.

I only know 140 pilots that have went to the commercial carriers; they didn’t just jump in a seat and fly day 1. The details I’ll leave to pilots as it’s outside my lane, but I’d guess there is also some union/seniority stuff that factors in with the airlines as well.

I only know 140 pilots that have went to the commercial carriers; they didn’t just jump in a seat and fly day 1. The details I’ll leave to pilots as it’s outside my lane, but I’d guess there is also some union/seniority stuff that factors in with the airlines as well.
Airline seniority would definitely be a hurdle to overcome... but a pension would be a nice cushion while making FO pay for the first 5 years at the airline.

On the corporate side, RCAF Challenger pilots could easily slide directly into the left seat (assuming they have the appropriate TC licenses and have completed the type rating).

Perhaps you've already touched on this (you probably have) but how does the P8 flying profile compare to the 140? Low-level cranking and banking still required?

Perhaps you've already touched on this (you probably have) but how does the P8 flying profile compare to the 140? Low-level cranking and banking still required?

The USN is going with some advanced kit for ASW that we don’t use now in the RCAF; this allows them, in theory, to have higher altitudes for things like ASW Ops; HAAWC being (part of) the core of the way they’ve moved to doing business. CP140 Low level cranking and banking is usually happening for a RTT (return to target) manoeuvre, if MAD is involved in prosecuting a submerged contact, or for putting a search or kill store in the water when precision is important.

“Fifty-three Golfs” are also something that can help with higher altitude ASW. With standard, non-GPS buoys it’s better to drop them at lower altitudes. There’s reasons that might be obvious but I won’t get into that as it’s touching on things that are in documents that are Controlled Goods or higher.

These would be, of course, more expensive than standard, non-GPS sonos and traditional air-dropped torpedoes.

Having said that, I’ve seen USN P-8s working as low as 200’ doing ID on surface vessels when the weather and tasking conditions required it.

How much bigger? 18 ,21? How much rebuilding of Comox and Greenwood will be needed?

Personally, if I were controlling the LRP world, I’d go back to the fleet size we had with the Argus; 30ish.

Anything “infrastructure requirements” I will leave to the official press releases. Suffice to say, it would likely have been looked at and could be part of future announcements.

Comox is tiny, how will the wing manage 8-10 P8s and infrastructure?

Better not touch that golf course….

I think the fleet will be spread similar to how it is now; the East coast has the OTU, one operational and the Force Development Sqn. That should see Comox having a smaller % of the fleet there for 1 operational Sqn which has been the reality for decades.

Statement on the Canadian Multi-Mission Aircraft (CMMA) for the Royal Canadian Air Force - In the news - Newsroom - PSPC
soooo we would like to know the price but want more details as well. This way next year we can have another PAYCUTFORGEN to help us afford it 😆😆

More on this:

You'll note that the article says we're looking to buy "up to" 16 aircraft. Depending on the price (and the pressure applied by the US) we could still end up with the originally mentioned 8-12 aircraft. I truly hope that's not the case but this is Canada after all...

Back