• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Claimable Items

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I was told when I was a young Pte(R) that dry cleaning, hair cuts and boot polish was claimable via Tax season. Has anyone heard of this or shall I pull out the BS Flag on this guy? Seems a little fishy to me.  :rofl:

I believe, at one time in the past, there was a $400 exemption for any one who was gainfully employed.  It was for unspecified work related expenses and there were no receipts required.  This may have been what he was talking about but it's gone by the wayside.

i believe that stuff used to be covered by that $17.05 we used get.

They always tried to say that but it really was a clothing upkeep allowance.  Hence clothes not boot polish (grey area I know) or haircuts or required PT gear etc, etc.

a couple of years back in manitoba i used to claim that $400, can we still do it in alberta?

Me too but I couldn't find it on last years T-1 so I didn't push the matter. 

My advice would be to take your taxes to an H&R Block, not only will they know the answer, they guarentee it. (They pay in advance, and if they made a mistake they pay for it)

After all, its in their best interests to get you the highest return. They get paid a small % of it. (I paid about 30-40 bucks I believe, got a cheque months in advance, and still got a hundred more then I would have had I done the forms myself.)

Let me see 25yrs X haircuts, boot black and dry cleaning, damn one more haircut and I can retire. ;D

Back