• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civilian Instructors used in Combat arms

Lager and Ale

Inactive
Reaction score
Here's one for you...For the past couple of years I've been hearing rumors that combat schools will be moving to a partial or total civilian teaching cadre.  As I understand the jest of this, it is to free up Sn NCO for tours and such, also to maintain teaching methods.
Now, I know for a fact that the support trades have been using civilians for years, without many problems.  In Gagetown, the armor school has a civilian company doing the training for the Lavs., but is this possible to use non-military in combat schools? ???

PS Again this is just TQ5 rumor control, but I have heard that the reserve squadron in CFSME are using civilian instructors.

Lager and Ale said:
PS Again this is just TQ5 rumor control, but I have heard that the reserve squadron in CFSME are using civilian instructors.

(you should of posted this last week before I went on leave) Will check when I get back to lovely Gagetown :'(

As for civilian instructors, from what I have gathered, most are ex military.

CFSME has always had civilian teaching staff.  They are not on the FETS side but on the CETS side of the house.  The only lecture i ever got from a civilian at CFSME was a cement construction lecture during my QL6A.

There are at least two civillian entities providing combat arms training to the CF. ( Officially that is )

Since representatives of both of them are lurking here, I'm not sayi.........mmmmmfffffff :-X

Lager and Ale said:
In Gagetown, the armor school has a civilian company doing the training for the Lavs., but is this possible to use non-military in combat schools? ???

The school isn't using civilians to teach LAV, it's still black hatters doing the teaching. Right now the civie company is teaching the B vehicles (LSVW,MLVW) and right now they are only teaching reservists.

Now, I know for a fact that the support trades have been using civilians for years, without many problems.

You might find these civilian in Kingston (Sigs) and CFSEME (Borden) where they have ex-military pers in some positions. But for the most part i don't know where else they have had civilians instructors for the sp trades and i have spent a posting at a CFSAL.

Not too sure how I feel about that... mixed emotions for sure.  Being an instructor, I feel as though the standard will be extremly hard to balance.  If they have a half and half mil/civ instructor cadre accross canada then whos to say whats right and whats wrong..... there will obviously be different views on how things should be run IE a military person has been through basic training and understands the reasoning behind the so called "corrective actions." Now if a person comes in to teach combat courses where will the respect from the candidates come from.  for example if some guy who has little or no military training tells me to ruck up im gonna have no motivation to ruck my *** 13KM for him or her.  Then again maybe I got this whole thing all wrong..... Hearing the word Civilian and combat arms in the same sentence just gives me shivers in a bad way.  too narrow minded maybe.

artygirl

I think you are missing something.  The Civilian Instructors, of which the military has been hiring for years now in various capacities, wouldn't be telling anyone to "ruck up...".  They would be concentrating on the TPs, instructing the POs and EOs.  They would have to base their lectures, like you, on what Standards has set for them in the CTP. 

Civilian Instructors have been teaching MS Word, MS Excell, MS Access, etc. for years and I have yet to see any of them have any disciplinary problems in their classes.  Nor have I seen any cause for them to have required the use of the term "ruck up..."  When it comes to PT, I am sure that you have also seen Civilian Instructors there too....From PSP. 

I think you just went a little overboard and a little too far in what you figured the Civilian Instructors would be doing.  They will teach D&M just like a military instructor would.  They will teach Wpns classes just like a military instructor would.  They will be using ICE PAC and EDI and all the other teaching techniques required to instruct.  They just won't be wearing a uniform.  Many of them will be ex-military, and know what kind of discipline to expect of their students, so the students would be foolish to try and pull any stunts on them.  Ex-NCOs may have forgotten more than their students will ever learn, but they are still ex-NCOs, and still know what discipline is.  Do you figure an instructor, who may have put the Crse WO through Basic, may have the Crse WO's ear if anything should happen in a class?  The 'Family' network still works.  ;D

The American Army has been using civilian instructors for years to teach D&M classes.  With respect to the reasons behind using civilians, there are many - but it isn't necessarily to free NCO's up for tours.  The tempo of training at the Schools is high so by freeing up some of the instructors from teaching garrison lectures this increases the pool of instructors available to teach the tactics portions out in the field.  PT, discipline etc is still the purview of the course military staff.

uuuuh seen I was way off on that one!  Thanks for bringing that to light, I was a little worried

Back