• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/04/report-china-may-be-testing-nuclear-weapons-us-state-dept-says/?utm_campaign=alt&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=militarymemes

Well this could be a potentially worrying development, the evidence is very flimsy, but one doesnt dig at a nuclear test site for no reason.

Meanwhile the repression of Tibetans just continues--start of a post:

Dragon Working on Muting Tibetans

The post below deals with the PRC’s going after Muslims,

Considerate Chicoms Provide Uyghurs with Free Vocational Training

but the CCP is not forgetting the Tibetans–at the LA Times, note the author at end:

Op-Ed: In Tibet, it’s a crime to even talk about the value of mother-tongue education

A year ago February, authorities in the highly restrictive Tibet Autonomous Region of China picked up Tsering Dorje, who lived in a village near Mt. Everest. They held him for a month in what they told him was a “reeducation facility,” where he says he was interrogated and beaten.

Dorje’s “crime”? A phone call with his brother, who lives outside China, in which they discussed the importance of Tibetan language instruction for their children. The local police who had intercepted the call told his family that such a conversation was a “political crime.”..
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/04/16/dragon-working-on-muting-tibetans/

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa said:
Meanwhile the repression of Tibetans just continues--start of a post:

but the CCP is not forgetting the Tibetans–at the LA Times, note the author at end:
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/04/16/dragon-working-on-muting-tibetans/

Mark
Ottawa

I know I've said it before, but I think I undersold my point.  China gives me this "Germany in 1937" vibe when it comes Jews being forced to wear armbands, and small territorial grabs, etc etc.  China seems so much worse though...Germany didn't have the technological ability to cripple communications all over the world, or disable healthcare systems & electrical grids.

30% market share to Hauwei, as an acceptable security risk in return for China's business?  Hell no.  Any computer expert can tell us that 30% access to a system might as well be 100% access to the system, as that 30% can be exploited pretty darn quickly when wanted.  (And they have the tech ability to do so easily.)

I think most people would be fine paying an extra dollar for a T-shirt, or a few extra bucks for other goods, if North American manufacturers could produce them without the unions driving the wages sky-high.  They make Saudi Arabia look like friendlier alternative...and anybody who can make Saudi Arabia look favourable compared to them, is someone we really outta' be examining our relationship with.    :2c:

CBH99 said:
30% market share to Hauwei, as an acceptable security risk in return for China's business?  Hell no.  Any computer expert can tell us that 30% access to a system might as well be 100% access to the system, as that 30% can be exploited pretty darn quickly when wanted.  (And they have the tech ability to do so easily.)

Huawei on the agitprop offensive in EU:

Cybersecurity at top of Huawei’s agenda as Europe decides on 5G infrastructure
*In the third of our eight-part series on Huawei, Zen Soo and Jane Zhang report on the company’s effort to gain support from major European economies, like Germany and the UK
*Huawei had 91 total 5G network projects as of February, 47 of which are located in Europe

Entering Huawei Technologies’ cybersecurity transparency centre
in Brussels, visitors could be forgiven for thinking it is a large exhibition facility.

The ground floor of this two-storey centre is replete with wood laminate flooring and clean white walls rigged with multiple screens, flashing slogans from PowerPoint slides such as “5G is a shared responsibility” and “A strong ecosystem is our best protection”.

“The centre is how we demonstrate openness, where we show our security approach strategy, research, Huawei’s software and hardware product development, and our supply chain,” said Marco Men, a senior security solution architect who regularly guides visitors through the exhibition. Visitors are also able to view flowcharts of Huawei’s product development and security testing processes...
https://www.scmp.com/tech/big-tech/article/3079455/cybersecurity-top-huaweis-agenda-europe-decides-5g-infrastructure

0838c7e0-7b0a-11ea-9b24-e7152d1bf921_972x_160543.JPG

A Huawei Technologies employee welcomes visitors at the company’s Cyber Security Transparency Centre in Brussels, Belgium. Photo: Handout

Mark
Ottawa

Meanwhile in China: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/china-begins-forced-evictions-africans-greyson-arnold/?trackingId=LjYAFwqw3rODxoYWBLVIpA%3D%3D

Conclusion by me athttps://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/04/23/huawei-5g-canada-and-covid-19-and-our-comprador-class/ a post based on a piece by the estimable Prof. Charles Burton on rejecting Huawei/5G:

Huawei, 5G, Canada and…COVID-19 and our Comprador Class
That “integrity” is the nub of it all. Canada’s political, economic and academic classes need to look deeply within themselves and consider if they wish to continue to be witting and willing compradors (SEE HERE) for the detestable rulers of the PRC. And to reflect most seriously about that in which they truly believe as they regurgitate their usual liberal platitudes–in the end is it all just about their bank accounts?
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/04/23/huawei-5g-canada-and-covid-19-and-our-comprador-class/

Mark
Ottawa

The PRC's grasp for Weltmacht--start of a post:

Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster on How to Appreciate, and Deal With, the Dragon

Brief excerpts from, and the conclusion of, an article originally in The Atlantic by President Trump’s first (of many) national security advisers; Canadians, especially Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government, should pay realistic heed...
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/04/27/lt-gen-h-r-mcmaster-on-how-to-appreciate-and-deal-with-the-dragon/

Mark
Ottawa

A post based on recent Report to Congress by Congressional Research Service:

What Does the Fast-Growing PLA Navy Mean for the US Navy (and others)?
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/04/28/what-does-the-fast-growing-pla-navy-mean-for-the-us-navy-and-others/

Mark Collins

MarkOttawa said:
A post based on recent Report to Congress by Congressional Research Service:

Mark Collins

China plays a long game well, while the US gets distracted by squirrels.

:cheers:

FJAG said:

E.g. the almost two-decades almost hysterical focus on the essentially minor threat from Islamic terrorism--compare with the patient and measured UK reaction to IRA terrorism. Conclusion of an earlier post of mine:

Iraq War II, Intelligence… and Doug Feith
Mr Feith is reviled by many for his role in the Bush adminstration’s defence department. In fact a bright fellow for all the flaws, see his memoir: War and Decision: Inside the Pentagon at the Dawn of the War on Terrorism. My read from it was that after 9/11 the Bush administration was so terrified of another attack (however unlikely via Iraq) that they would do about anything. Acting from a sense of perceived weakness and vulnerability, not real confidence or strength.
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/mark-collins-iraq-war-ii-intelligence-and-doug-feith/

Mark
Ottawa

I will disagree on the downplaying of the Islamic threat, they to play the long game, along with the short term.

Colin P said:
I will disagree on the downplaying of the Islamic threat, they to play the long game, along with the short term.

But not in a unified and organized way like the Chinese.

FJAG said:

But, perhaps not coincidentally, the US, with all its checks and balances and the competition between departments and agencies and so on, plays the "short game" very, very well, indeed.

Despite the small size of the Chinese innermost circle, less than ten (all men, right now, I think), they seem, to me, to need a lot of time to deliberate to make a short-term, tactical decision.

The Americans, on the other hand, seem able to bring thirty people, representing 10 different often competing factions, into a room and, half a morning later, arrive at an agreed tactical solution to whatever problem they face. Some may argue that there is too much whiz-bang DARPA stiff and not enough Sun Tzu in Washington, but that's a quibble.

The Americans are not bad at strategic decision-making ~ quite the opposite, in fact. I think American strategy in 1941/42 (Roosevelt, Stimson, Knox, Morgentau and Marshall) was peerless and should be an example to every nation on how to do it right, the first time. But I also agree that the Chinese have often, over the past 3,000 years done it very well, too and many Chinese senior officials are philosophically conditioned to think in the long term.

Start of a post and a bit near the end (image is at the head of the post):

_112011984_whatsubject.jpg

COVID-19: The Chicoms and Canada, Australia and Sweden

A selection of recent news pieces that well illustrate the current Canadian government’s almost craven approach to relations with an increasing assertive and aggressive PRC (and almost unhinged, fearful of its own people and going hyper-nationalist to placate them?)...

Canada is back? The world needs more of this Canada? The minimal, not middle, power?..
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/04/30/covid-19-the-chicoms-and-canada-australia-and-sweden/

Mark
Ottawa

E.R. Campbell said:
The Americans are not bad at strategic decision-making ~ quite the opposite, in fact. I think American strategy in 1941/42 (Roosevelt, Stimson, Knox, Morgentau and Marshall) was peerless and should be an example to every nation on how to do it right, the first time. But I also agree that the Chinese have often, over the past 3,000 years done it very well, too and many Chinese senior officials are philosophically conditioned to think in the long term.

It strikes me the primary international strategy that the US has been following arose out of the post WW2 Domino Effect theory which was based on curtailing Communist expansion. While that had an original success vis a vis the Soviet Union, it has had a very limited effect vis a vis Chinese economic expansion.

It strikes me that these days (and by this I include more than the Trump administration but also a few of his predecessors) American strategic decision making has been more impulsive or reactive rather than deliberate or forward-looking. America, these days, seems to get easily distracted by peripheral issues; hence my "squirrel" comment.

:pop:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6858818/coronavirus-china-united-front-canada-protective-equipment-shortage/

Colin flagged this on Facebook. 

Very long but justifiably so.  Mandatory read.

No indication that China created the virus.  But it is not unreasonable to suggest that China went from managing a crisis to creating an exploitable opportunity.  From progressing through "We have a problem" to "We have to take everyone else down with us" to "We can damage them more than we will be hurt."

And they certainly seem to have been prepared to exploit an opportunity when it presented itself.  They seem to have had assets in place.

There comes a time when the enemy decides to unmask their guns.  At that point they have to win because you now know their strength, location and intention. 

Is this an intentional unmasking or is this a forced premature unmasking? 

Either way I don't think the CCP is ever going to be perceived as a reliable partner again.  And for what its worth I think they have jumped the gun on this crisis.  I think they are likely  to lose more than they intended to gain.  Both overseas and at home.

Chris Pook said:
Either way I don't think the CCP is ever going to be perceived as a reliable partner again.  And for what its worth I think they have jumped the gun on this crisis.  I think they are likely  to lose more than they intended to gain.  Both overseas and at home.

The veneer on the Ming vases is starting to crack.

Meanwhile in Hong Kong--start of a post:

Hong Kong and the PRC: What One Country, Two Systems? Plus COVID-19

Further to this post,

Hong Kong widens schism with China over coronavirus

the PRC is making it clear that the “Special Administrative Region’s” days of serious autonomy are coming to an end. Here are the start and conclusion of a piece at Just Security by Alvin Y.H. Cheung (tweets here)...
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/05/01/hong-kong-and-the-prc-what-one-country-two-systems-plus-covid-19/

Mark
Ottawa

Meanwhile China's ambassador pats us on the head and says what good little boys and girls we are, unlike those nasty Americans--and by the way two Michaels are just fine, not to worry. When will this government get serious about the Chicoms? Don't bother to answer; they and their comprador friends have effectively been bought and paid or silenced by the Dragon's threatening behaviour:

China likes Canada’s ‘cool head’ amid U.S. ‘smears’ over COVID-19, says envoy

China's envoy in Ottawa says that while the United States is "smearing" his country over COVID-19, the People's Republic appreciates Canada's "cool-headed" co-operation on battling the pandemic.

Ambassador Cong Peiwu also says he wants Canadians to know that Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor are healthy and getting good treatment in Chinese custody.

The two Canadians have been detained for more than 500 days and China cut off their visits from Canadian diplomats earlier in the year as part of its efforts to limit access to prisons during the pandemic.

In an exclusive interview with The Canadian Press, Cong said he has heard nothing new about a proposal by Foreign Affairs Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne to allow diplomats to conduct a "virtual" visit using the internet to check on Kovrig and Spavor.

They were imprisoned in December 2018 after Canada arrested Chinese high-tech executive Meng Wanzhou on a U.S. extradition warrant, plunging Sino-Canadian relations to a new low.

Cong says Canada and China are working closely to fight the pandemic, and that he is awaiting a report from his government on how a million face masks that Canada imported from China were found to be inadequate for health-care workers.

"China attaches high importance to export quality control. The competent departments have recently written out more rigorous regulatory measures," said Cong.

"We still are waiting for the response from the government because there was a report suggesting that some masks didn't meet the quality standards. We would like to see clarification, but still we haven't got an answer yet."

The legal issues in the Kovrig-Spavor-Meng dispute remain unchanged: China says Canada's arrest of Meng, who faces bank-fraud charges in the United States, is unjust; Canada says Kovrig, a former diplomat, and Spavor, an entrepreneur, were picked up arbitrarily.

But Cong positioned Canada as an important partner for China in the continuing battle against COVID-19 and he used the interview to unleash a counterattack against the U.S., which has temporarily suspended all funding to the World Health Organization.

Cong didn't not mention President Donald Trump by name, but he referred to his administration's accusations that the WHO covered up early aspects of the outbreak and that China initially withheld information about it from the organization.

More recently, Trump and his supporters have also been putting forth a conspiracy theory that an infectious disease laboratory in Wuhan, China was the source of the pandemic. A U.S. intelligence statement released Thursday says the virus that causes COVID-19 was not deliberately engineered, but work is continuing to determine whether it might have escaped the Wuhan lab while being studied.

"China is sharing experience while the U.S. is smearing China," said Cong. "China has actively shared epidemic information and anti-epidemic experience with the WHO and many other countries including Canada." That co-operation has extended to 150 countries and international organizations, including on recent video conferences, he added.

"To shift the blame, some U.S. politicians try to launch a stigmatization campaign against China. Attacking and discrediting other countries will not save the time and lives lost."

Cong was also asked about Conservative politicians in Canada, who are demanding answers directly from the WHO and are questioning whether China has undue influence on the organization.

"It's a time to focus on the fight against the pandemic. Unfortunately, some politicians have greatly politicized the COVID-19 issue. Actually, we don't think it's the time for accusations and political manipulation," he replied.

Champagne and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau have said that now is not the time for finger-pointing with the pandemic still a threat, but have suggested a reckoning could come later.

"I believe that Canada has adopted a cool-headed approach," Cong said.

"We appreciate that. The most important task, currently, is to focus our energy on fighting the pandemic."

He said China is committed to helping Canada receive all the medical equipment and supplies it needs during the pandemic. He also said China is grateful for Canada's shipping medical supplies to China early on.

China is preparing to ship 32 tons of diagnostic kits, N95 masks, isolation gowns and other equipment soon, Cong said.

China is also trying to smooth the passage of Canadian goods through Shanghai's crowded airports, he said, and added it currently has no restrictions on how long the ground crews of chartered cargo planes can wait on the ground to be loaded up.

China and Canada disagreed recently on whether that was a factor in two Canadian planes' returning from China without the medical supplies they were sent to pick up.

"Our two countries have a tradition of supporting each other in trying times," said Cong.

"As you could recall, during the most difficult period in our fight against the pandemic, the Canadian side provided us with assistance and support, and we value that very much. As the pandemic is spreading in Canada right now, we relate to the hardship the Canadian people are going through."

The status quo remains for Kovrig and Spavor, who are in Chinese prisons facing accusations of espionage. The Canadian government calls their arrests arbitrary. China continues to call for Meng's release, and Canada says her extradition case will have to be heard by the B.C. courts. The pandemic has all but halted those legal proceedings for the time being.

Cong said Kovrig was allowed a phone call to his father in March who was "seriously ill at the time," but he offered no other details. Kovrig and Spavor, along with other prisoners are all being given better food, and they are both being allowed a "higher frequency" of parcels and letters.

"They're in good and sound health," said Cong. "That's a message I would like to share with you."

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 1, 2020.

Mike Blanchfield, The Canadian Press
https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2020/05/01/china-likes-canadas-cool-head-amid-u-s-smears-over-covid-19-says-envoy/#.XqxF9Z5KiUk

Mark
Ottawa

Start of a post:

The Dragon vs the Kangaroo, or, Who’s the Sovereign?

Further to this post (note final paragraph),

Huawei, 5G, Canada and…COVID-19 and our Comprador Class

Peter Hartcher, political and international editor for The Sydney Morning Herald, takes on his country’s own compradors and raises the fundamental matter related to dealing with the PRC’s drive to re-establish the Middle Kingdom’s past power…and more. In other words Weltmacht, as the Germans describe world power...
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/05/03/the-dragon-vs-the-kangaroo-or-whos-the-sovereign/

Mark
Ottawa   

Back