• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH-148 Cyclone Progress

I remember during my OJT at the PMO MHP, talking with some of guys running the various projects and there was a bit of a grassroots movement to try to get a .50 on the Cyclone instead of the C6. It didn't seem very likely to me in my uniformed naivety but maybe it will be one of those last minute addendums *crosses fingers*

from a personal perspective, don't think there is a real need to have a 50cal in the door.

A C6 for the door gunner will do quite nicely thank you very much..... if you want more, I would suggest you inquire about pods with a 20 or 25mm to warm things up.  A side order of rockets for good measure?

niceasdrhuxtable said:
I remember during my OJT at the PMO MHP, talking with some of guys running the various projects and there was a bit of a grassroots movement to try to get a .50 on the Cyclone instead of the C6. It didn't seem very likely to me in my uniformed naivety but maybe it will be one of those last minute addendums *crosses fingers*

Ever fire a .50 ?

The .50 on a single point mount is enoug of a b**** to fire, let alone at 90-100 kts and the cyclic rate is slower than the C6 (IIRC, sure felt that way). The added weight of the gun and ammunition , IMHO, invalidates any perceived bennefit.

and there was a bit of a grassroots movement to try to get a .50 on the Cyclone instead of the C6

If someone thinks that they need a .50 cal, vice a C6 as a door gun, on the Cyclone, I suggest that they go the SOCD (statement of capability deficiency) route and staff it up the chain, with proper justification.

There are .50s that are optimised for door gun work...

I personally think that this might be fun:

http://dillonaero.com/SM134.html  >:D (but I can't justify it...)

+3 on that...and tacco, sure you can justify it. I'd love to see those on yours and our birds, just a tad more fun than the C6 I would think. I know I find the C6 ho hum.....time for something with more "pizazz".

The fly by wire test aircraft, 592, has done ground runs without the blades.  It should do ground runs with blades on in late August, and first flight in late September.

Our first airframe, 148801, was delivered to West Palm Beach from Keystone Helicopter last Fir, 10 Aug, for final assembly.  It should be flying by the end of the year, for test purposes.  It will be used spring and summer '08 for at sea flight deck testing on HMCS Montreal, which is currently being modified, but will not have been delivered to Canada at that time.

Scheduled delivery of the first aircraft is still January 2009, when Operational Testing will commence.  The first aircrew conversion course, leading to the first Cyclone detachment, is scheduled for 2010.

Baz,
Any idea on what kind of mods are required for the ships ?

The hangars and hangar deck would probably be the major ones.  Didn't someone also mention the 'Bear Traps' in a previous post?

I had posted this info before (in a thread about whether it fits in the hangar, it does), but here it is again with a couple of edits:
- replace the trap with a new low profile trap, and add a nose wheel tray, including a new console for the LSO
- add a flight deck motion display
- move the tail guide winches forward and remove the tail probe fish tail
- redo the line up lines
- change the lighting for NVG compatibility
- offset the aircraft about 18"left when trapped and aligned, by moving the lock position in the trap to the left, because of the tail fold to the right extends past the sponson
- redo a bunch of cranes, servicing platforms, etc, in the hangar; the new storage is mostly modular in the hangar
- a bunch of new cabinets, computers, displays, etc in the air spaces, the largest piece is for the Integrated Technical Information Service and the Mission Planning and Analysis Service (MPAS).  MPAS gets information from certain ship system.  Both services uses comms links back to shore for other types of info.

I need to get over to the ship to have a look  :)

somehow, I get this uneasy feeling that this is going to be an expensive refit....

Any new on what their plans are for pipeliners? Are they shutting down the OTU for Sea Kings, and what are they going to do for new pipeliners.  I can't imagine that they won't be taking anyone into the MH community for the next 1-2 years.

I am looking at BHS in April- hoping to get into the community. Any news or gossip?

I'm not going to pass on gossip, I spend enough time working on how to ensure that the right information is getting out  :)

According to the current schedule, the last Sea King Ab Initio (pipeliner) course will tentatively finish some time late in 2010, with the first Cyclone Ab Initio course sometime mid 2011.  Conversion courses (for already qualified Sea King aircrew) will start after OT&E is finished, scheduled for early 2010, and running until all aircrew are converted.  The schedules are different for maintainers, and this is just the current snapshot of a very complicated schedule.

However, the big point is this: we can't afford to gap Maritime Helicopter aircrew training (between Cyclone and Sea King Ab Initio), which includes having dets at sea.  Flying helicopters at sea is a demanding role and we need to ensure that we keep core skills during the transition.

geo said:
somehow, I get this uneasy feeling that this is going to be an expensive refit....

It's not going to cost us any more than it already has. IIRC, mods to the ships was included in the MHP contract.

frist one said:
    I have a question about the weapons that ch-148 will use. Will they used  mk46v. In will the able to handle anti- shipping missiles.        :cdn:

According to the link provided by G2G, the CH-148 will have two hardpoints that can take up to 1,000 lbs each. So, in theory they should be able to carry ASM's, however, I would think that they would have to have targeting/guidance equipment fitted to the aircraft before they could be used. 

Here is a link to the CH-148 Cyclone at the Sikorsky webpage:

http://www.sikorsky.com/details/0,,cli1_div69_eti2282,00+en-uss_0fsbc.html

According to this webpage the first Cyclone will be delivered "November 2008."  However, you go to the CF CH-148 webpage it states the first airframe will be delivered in January 2009. The link is here:

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/site/equip/ch148/default_e.asp

Not much of a difference in the delivery dates.... Nov 08  - Jan 09
For once, I think they agree

According to the link provided by G2G, the CH-148 will have two hardpoints that can take up to 1,000 lbs each. So, in theory they should be able to carry ASM's, however, I would think that they would have to have targeting/guidance equipment fitted to the aircraft before they could be used.

The Cyclone will be delivered fitted for, but not with, an ASM capability.  I'm sure we will get to it in due course...

Back