• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFAT on Wednesday

hyland84 said:
Sorry, I didn't know that the recruiters would give me that information.

I doubt that they will give you the actual score, however, they may be able to give you a general idea of where you went wrong last time and what areas you need to study.  IIRC, the math portion is not to see how well you do math but to see how good you are at problem solving.  Normally, there's a pattern to the questions/answers.  When I did the CFAT in Borden, the BPSO at least told me I had scored in very high in the vocabulary and spatial portions and high in the math, without giving me actual scores.

PMedMoe said:
I doubt that they will give you the actual score, however, they may be able to give you a general idea of where you went wrong last time and what areas you need to study.  IIRC, the math portion is not to see how well you do math but to see how good you are at problem solving.  Normally, there's a pattern to the questions/answers.  When I did the CFAT in Borden, the BPSO at least told me I had scored in very high in the vocabulary and spatial portions and high in the math, without giving me actual scores.

There is always a counselling session done with the applicant and the career counsellor after an applicant does not meet the CFAT standard and perhaps hyland84 should have paid attention during that session.

kincanucks said:
There is always a counselling session done with the applicant and the career counsellor after an applicant does not meet the CFAT standard and perhaps hyland84 should have paid attention during that session.

Agreed.

Just so everyon understands. The only thing I was told in the conselling session was to brush up on my problem solving. The spacial and vocabulary segments I don't have to worry about too much. That's why I was inquiring about the math mark. I knwo that it obviously didn't help much that I didn't finish all of the problem solving part becasuse I ran out of time and that the questions were very different from the reall test.

But on the other hand I knwo now what to expect the second tiem around and have been studying very hard these past few weeks knowing I get a second chance.

Thanks for the advice anyhoo

Color me stupid, but maybe you can educate me on this.  Did hyland84 fail the practice test or the real CFAT?
I only ask as I have never written a practice aptitude test, only the real thing.

PMedMoe said:
Color me stupid, but maybe you can educate me on this.  Did hyland84 fail the practice test or the real CFAT?
I only ask as I have never written a practice aptitude test, only the real thing.

There is no practice test only practice questions which are nothing like the real test questions but are designed to give the applicant a sense of what the real test questions may be like.  Some people look at the practice questions as very easy and when they do the rel test they fall into shock mode.  He failed the CFAT.  I am always surprised at people that do because it is not that hard if you use your time properly. Not saying that people who do fail are less intelligent but perhaps they are a little slower than others.

That's so typically military, here's the practice test which is nothing like the real thing!!
I think part of the test is to see how well you use your time, so if people are slower, they will get a lower mark.  It's one thing to be smart, but it's another to be smart AND fast.

Who realy cares what the passing score is anyways, its not like each question on the test has a little note that says "this question is worth 4 points" that you can add up in your head. If you cant pass the CFAT, theres bigger issues.

::)

I do believe the time constraints are by design. Probably an added element to assess your time management skills and your ability to cope with pressure.

kincanucks said:
There is no practice test only practice questions which are nothing like the real test questions but are designed to give the applicant a sense of what the real test questions may be like.  Some people look at the practice questions as very easy and when they do the rel test they fall into shock mode.  He failed the CFAT.  I am always surprised at people that do because it is not that hard if you use your time properly. Not saying that people who do fail are less intelligent but perhaps they are a little slower than others.

I understand what you're getting at kincanucks - but some folks just FREEZE when they're in a "test" situation.  My wife is one such - I've assisted her in her military endeavours, my sons and I have assisted her in her civilian educational pursuits, and even when she KNOWS the stuff COLD - she still absolutely freezes when given a "test".

Personally - tests don't bother me and never did, I feel no more stress over them than when doing the course work (for instance), and I've always been able to achieve respectable academic standings - both military and civilian.  I don't understand the phenomenon experienced by my wife and others I've met - but I know it's real.

The CFAT is, I suppose, partially an indication of how an individual will respond to stress - so the results remain valid.

Back