• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Pay Raise 2009/2010

IF we get a pay raise, we would get them around October with retro pay as all previous years.

ArmyVern said:
I'm posted ... get ready Ontario (anything more specific than that hasn't been confirmed yet).

Hopefully you can come here and straighten out the Stores on the sea boot issues.  Big complaint for the navy here is that the stores will not exchange our sea boots as we are not on ships.  Someone seems to have missed the fact that sea boots are now our walking out work dress and not just for ship board anymore.  That is if the command chief doesn't have them straightened out before then.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for anyone walking into the building wearing chaps this APS.

pay raise 3% effective 1 Apr 09!!!

you did pick up on the posting date right?  ;D

In other news I found out today that LTA rates took a pretty major cut for the new fiscal year, I suppose most likely due to the fact that gas is cheaper than it was last year.

boot12 said:
In other news I found out today that LTA rates took a pretty major cut for the new fiscal year, I suppose most likely due to the fact that gas is cheaper than it was last year.

Wait for it...the prices here in Halifax are starting to climb again...must be nearly summer again...

CountDC said:
pay raise 3% effective 1 Apr 09!!!

you did pick up on the posting date right?  ;D

It was April fools!! Can't find this number anywhere on the DIN (TB site included!!) I'm still curious about the raise retro to 2007 - the wage parity raise based on what the civ sector got, not the cost of living raise (2%) we get ALMOST every year!!

We're already at or about the PS raises - the "2%" is what they get for inflation, more or less, each year.

Indeed, looking at overall compensation the CF does quite well - for example, 5 weeks annual leave after five years (plus the 2 Xmas specials, plus short).  In the PS, that can take closer to 20 years...

No argument here, but see

http://vcds.mil.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2007/102-07_e.asp

Para 4.

dapaterson said:
We're already at or about the PS raises - the "2%" is what they get for inflation, more or less, each year.

Indeed, looking at overall compensation the CF does quite well - for example, 5 weeks annual leave after five years (plus the 2 Xmas specials, plus short).  In the PS, that can take closer to 20 years...

But wait there are two things here: the 2% (some like here get 3,5%) per year is skill improvement, and is within the bracket. And then every few years when the agreements are renegociated, all those brackets are raised by a few % per year: that is to cope with inflation. Now I guess that this is the raise most people are waiting for. I just wasn't sure which you meant?

dapaterson said:

and if things go the way they are talking now the package will get better - they are looking at changing the requirement for 30 days leave, currently set at 28 years, down as far a 20 years.  Of course like everything else this will take time to make it through the system and be approved so don't look for it this year.

TimBit said:
And then every few years when the agreements are renegociated, all those brackets are raised by a few % per year: that is to cope with inflation.

I think some groups in the PS have received such treatment; most likely those with niche jobs requiring a degree of specialization over and above your average civil servant.  However, I have not received such treatment.  Nor have most civil servant's.

Here's what everyone can, at most, expect when the new pay rates are announced.  The following is from the Expenditure Restraint Act (I have cut and paste what I think are the relevant sections):

Deemed Employees

(3) This Act applies to the following persons, who are deemed to be employees for the purposes of this Act:

(a) the staff of members of the Senate and the House of Commons;

(b) directors of the Crown corporations and public bodies named in Schedule 1;

(c) officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Forces; and

(d) the Chief Electoral Officer.

Restraint Measures - Increases to Rates of Pay

Despite any collective agreement, arbitral award or terms and conditions of employment to the contrary, but subject to the other provisions of this Act, the rates of pay for employees are to be increased, or are deemed to have been increased, as the case may be, by the following percentages for any 12-month period that begins during any of the following fiscal years:

(a) the 2006–2007 fiscal year, 2.5%;

(b) the 2007–2008 fiscal year, 2.3%;

(c) the 2008–2009 fiscal year, 1.5%;

(d) the 2009–2010 fiscal year, 1.5%; and

(e) the 2010–2011 fiscal year, 1.5%.

As an aside, if you wonder why it took so long for the Budget Implemenation Bill (Bill C-10) to get passed, go take a look at it.  It was a massive omnibus bill.  Changes were made to dozens of other Acts, new one's were created, along with all the budget provisions.

corresponds to what I expected to get so no surprises there.  Just can't figure out why it always takes so long for us to actually get the increase when everyone knows already it is going to happen. 

begbie said:
I think some groups in the PS have received such treatment; most likely those with niche jobs requiring a degree of specialization over and above your average civil servant.  However, I have not received such treatment.  Nor have most civil servant's.

Here's what everyone can, at most, expect when the new pay rates are announced.  The following is from the Expenditure Restraint Act (I have cut and paste what I think are the relevant sections):

Deemed Employees

(3) This Act applies to the following persons, who are deemed to be employees for the purposes of this Act:

(a) the staff of members of the Senate and the House of Commons;

(b) directors of the Crown corporations and public bodies named in Schedule 1;

(c) officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Forces; and

(d) the Chief Electoral Officer.

Restraint Measures - Increases to Rates of Pay

Despite any collective agreement, arbitral award or terms and conditions of employment to the contrary, but subject to the other provisions of this Act, the rates of pay for employees are to be increased, or are deemed to have been increased, as the case may be, by the following percentages for any 12-month period that begins during any of the following fiscal years:

(a) the 2006–2007 fiscal year, 2.5%;

(b) the 2007–2008 fiscal year, 2.3%;

(c) the 2008–2009 fiscal year, 1.5%;

(d) the 2009–2010 fiscal year, 1.5%; and

(e) the 2010–2011 fiscal year, 1.5%.

As an aside, if you wonder why it took so long for the Budget Implemenation Bill (Bill C-10) to get passed, go take a look at it.  It was a massive omnibus bill.  Changes were made to dozens of other Acts, new one's were created, along with all the budget provisions.

Well... that is also what I received. And it is to cope with inflation. And it is sufficient, I think, in the current economic context. Since I joined the PS, I have been under PSAC and PIPSC, and both have had renegotiated C.A.'s which led to increased brackets. Haven't you?

CountDC said:
corresponds to what I expected to get so no surprises there.  Just can't figure out why it always takes so long for us to actually get the increase when everyone knows already it is going to happen.

Ah but these are the delights of bureaucracy...the spice of life.  :blotto:

On another note, I do agree it would be a darn good thing to increase leave at 20 years service. I really think it is the only bizarre thing right now in the CF, that it takes 25 years to go from 5 weeks to 6 weeks . My  :2c:

In the CF, a 22 year old with high school graduation and only CF-obtained job skills (and, given the rates of throughput in the training system, possibly not yet employable autonomously) gets five weeks of paid vacation.

In the PS, someone with a Masters in Economics would not see 25 days of annual leave until they reached 18 years of experience.

The CF leave policy is already rich.  And any proposals to amend leave are only that - staff discussion papers and examinations of options.  There have been no decisions to amend leave entitlements.

TimBit said:
Ah but these are the delights of bureaucracy...the spice of life.  :blotto:

On another note, I do agree it would be a darn good thing to increase leave at 20 years service. I really think it is the only bizarre thing right now in the CF, that it takes 25 years to go from 5 weeks to 6 weeks . My  :2c:

You have that all wrong.  Young members of the CF have 20 days Annual Lve per year, and after five years, they get 25 days Annual Lve per year.  Where you came up with five weeks being extended to six weeks after 25 years is outside of my comprehension.  Did something happen while I slept last night?

TimBit said:
Well... that is also what I received. And it is to cope with inflation. And it is sufficient, I think, in the current economic context. Since I joined the PS, I have been under PSAC and PIPSC, and both have had renegotiated C.A.'s which led to increased brackets. Haven't you?

That is one of the problems with the PS.  There are more than one Union, and each has to negotiate their contract separately from the others.  Of course these negotiations are not held concurrently. 

This has an effect on the CF, in that the CF, and the RCMP as well, have to wait until all the PS Unions have negotiated their contracts successfully, before any Pay increase can be announced.

George Wallace said:
You have that all wrong.  Young members of the CF have 20 days Annual Lve per year, and after five years, they get 25 days Annual Lve per year.  Where you came up with five weeks being extended to six weeks after 25 years is outside of my comprehension.  Did something happen while I slept last night?

George... re-read my post. I said, it takes 25 years to go from 5 weeks to 6 weeks. Well actually it takes 23, i.e. 5 weeks after 5 years and 6 weeks after 28. 28-5=23 right?

No need to go stomping around without reading the post right... George.

dapaterson said:
In the CF, a 22 year old with high school graduation and only CF-obtained job skills (and, given the rates of throughput in the training system, possibly not yet employable autonomously) gets five weeks of paid vacation.

In the PS, someone with a Masters in Economics would not see 25 days of annual leave until they reached 18 years of experience.

The CF leave policy is already rich.  And any proposals to amend leave are only that - staff discussion papers and examinations of options.  There have been no decisions to amend leave entitlements.

I do think however that such a generous leave policy is consistent with the task, i.e. long days, field time, postings and so on, versus 37,5 (often much less...) in an air-conditionned office without moves. Which is my reality... for better and for worse.

I agree with you that the CF policy is very rich, with 5 wks at 5 years. It just would make sense to me to keep that "advantage" past 18 years of service, at which point people in the PS have the same leave, which can be accumulated as well, than people in the CF where it can't.

Back