• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Members and time alloted for PT

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Good afternoon folks,

I have searched for this but I find little that helps. Is there is a CFAO, QR&O, DAOD or somthing official that states how many hours per week a CF memeber can go to the gym. I was under the understanding that we were entitled to one hour a day equalling 5 hours a week.

Is this just somthing I conjured up during a drunken stooper in Rota, Spain ? Or did something like this actually get placed in stone cold policy ?

Thanks in advance.

I've never heard of a rule that says you have to be given PT time, just that you have to keep yourself in shape. If that means going to the gym on your own time, so be it. I'd be interested to see if there's something out there as well.

[quote author=DAOD 5032-2 Physical Fitness]
Participation

CF members of the Regular Force and Primary Reserve shall participate in regular physical fitness training. COs are responsible to ensure that CF members are provided opportunities to conduct physical fitness activities during normal working hours when circumstances permit. When this is not feasible, CF members should conduct physical fitness activities outside normal working hours. As general guidance, physical fitness activities should be conducted in 60-minute sessions, a minimum of five times per week.
[/quote]

Just as I thought, not a free 1 hour a day. Only a guideline.

I beleive it is a recommended timing, and really up to the Leadership to decided based on operational needs;

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pub/hpfs-sscp/hpfs-sscp-eng.asp

Line of Operation 3 Regular Physical Activity
Regular physical activity is a term used to identify fitness as a lifestyle, vice a task. Experts in the field of physical fitness are consistent in their assessment that 60 minutes a day of accumulated light to moderate13 physical activity, or 20-30 minutes of vigorous physical activity every other day, is required to attain health benefits for the general population14. These general fitness guidelines are applicable for CF family members, civilian personnel of the defence team and retired CF members.

The CF, however, is a special population whose requirement to be operationally fit demands higher levels of physical fitness than its civilian counterpart. In general, and where possible, the CF definition of “regular physical fitness activity” encompasses the requirement to engage in physical fitness activity a minimum of one hour per day. However, all CF personnel need to engage in individual and/or unit fitness training and sports programs, in which the proper application of FITT (frequency, intensity, time, type) is evident, such that the unit is physically fit to deploy.

CANFORGEN 156/08 CDS 022/08 151834Z AUG 08
CF HEALTH AND PHYSICAL FITNESS STRATEGY
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. CANFORGEN 198/05
B. CANFORGEN 002/07
C. CANFORGEN 042/08
D. CF HEALTH AND PHYSICAL FITNESS STRATEGY

FURTHER TO REFS A, B, AND C, I AM PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THE OFFICIAL LAUNCH OF THE CANADIAN FORCES HEALTH AND PHYSICAL FITNESS STRATEGY (REF D). THIS STRATEGY PROVIDES THE MOTIVATION, AWARENESS, SUPPORT AND ACCOUNTABILITY TO ENHANCE AND SUSTAIN A FIT AND HEALTHY FIGHTING FORCE. IT IS MY INTENT TO STRENGTHEN THE CULTURE OF HEALTH AND PHYSICAL FITNESS ACROSS THE CF

MILITARY PERSONNEL MUST MAINTAIN THE HIGHEST STANDARDS OF HEALTH AND PHYSICAL CONDITIONING THROUGHOUT THEIR CAREER TO PROVIDE THEM WITH THE STAMINA AND ENDURANCE TO SUCCESSFULLY PERFORM AMID PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY DEMANDING OPERATIONAL CONDITIONS. HEALTHY AND PHYSICALLY FIT SAILORS, SOLDIERS, AIRMEN AND AIRWOMEN ARE LESS PRONE TO FATIGUE AND INJURY AND ARE THEREFORE MORE EFFECTIVE IN CARRYING OUT THEIR CRITICAL MISSION TASKS

IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CF TO DEVELOP AND SUSTAIN A STRONG, HEALTHY AND FIT CF. THIS BEGINS WITH LEADERS WHO ARE FULLY COMMITTED TO A QUOTE CULTURE OF HEALTH AND PHYSICAL FITNESS UNQUOTE, SETTING THE EXAMPLE FOR EVERYONE TO TAKE THEIR HEALTH SERIOUSLY AND CHOOSE A LIFESTYLE DEDICATED TO EATING WELL, ENGAGING IN REGULAR PHYSICAL FITNESS ACTIVITIES, MAINTAINING A HEALTHY WEIGHT AND LIVING ADDICTION FREE

EFFECTIVE 01 APRIL 2008, SOME OF THE IMPACTS OF REF D INCLUDE:

THE CHAIN OF COMMAND WILL PROVIDE THE TIME, RESOURCES AND PROGRAMS TO SUPPORT CF PERSONNEL TO ADOPT AND MAINTAIN A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE AND PHYSICAL FITNESS

REGULAR, PRIMARY RESERVE, OUTCAN AND REMOTELY POSTED PERSONNEL WILL ALL COMPLETE ANNUAL FITNESS EVALUATIONS

IAW REF C, POINTS WILL BE AWARDED FOR EXPRES TEST RESULTS AT MERIT BOARDS

PSP FITNESS AND SPORTS STAFF WILL PROVIDE RESOURCES FOR SPECIALIZED AND REMEDIAL TRAINING

CF PERSONNEL WILL BE PROVIDED THE NECESSARY TOOLS (STRESS MANAGEMENT, COPING SKILLS, AND BEHAVIOURAL COUNSELLING, ETC) TO MAINTAIN A HEALTHY AND ADDICTION-FREE LIFESTYLE

INDIVIDUAL TRAINING AND EDUCATION RELATED TO HEALTH AND FITNESS WILL BE BETTER INTEGRATED INTO CF PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

COMMITMENT TO A LIFELONG HEALTHY LIFESTYLE WILL IMPROVE MORALE AND PERSONAL WELL-BEING, AND CONTRIBUTE TOWARD SUCCESS IN OPERATIONAL MISSIONS AND TASKS. THE CF WILL PROVIDE PROGRAMS AND SUPPORT TO ALL CF PERSONNEL AND THEIR FAMILIES TO FOSTER THEIR INTEREST AND MOTIVATION FOR MAINTAINING AND SUSTAINING A LONG-TERM COMMITMENT TO A PHYSICALLY FIT AND HEALTHY, ACTIVE LIFESTYLE

MILITARY PERSONNEL MUST POSSESS THE HEALTH AND PHYSICAL FITNESS NEEDED TO FUNCTION IN COMPLEX AND DEMANDING ENVIRONMENTS AND THIS STRATEGY PAVES THE WAY TOWARDS GENERATING A FORCE THAT IS HEALTHY AND FIT TO FIGHT. I EXPECT YOUR SUPPORT AND COMMITMENT IN IMPLEMENTING THIS STRATEGY

REF D IS AVAILABLE ONLINE AT HTTP://HR.OTTAWA-HULL.MIL.CA/DOCS/HRMIL-DOCS/PDF/CF(UNDERSCORE)HEALT H(UNDERSCORE)FITNESS(UNDERSCORE)E.PDF. HARD COPIES WILL SOON BE DISTRIBUTED ACROSS THE CF. ENQUIRIES REGARDING REF D MAY BE DIRECTED TO TRACEY WAIT, DMPSC 2-2, 613-995-5549, WAIT.HT(AT SIGN)FORCES.GC.CA

SIGNED BY GEN WJ NATYNCZYK, CDS

So, five hours a week = 1/2 class A day per Reservist per week for fitness.  Or do we expect class A Reservists to do it on their own time, unpaid?

PuckChaser said:
Just as I thought, not a free 1 hour a day. Only a guideline.

I'd say that it's more than a guideline.  This from the CDS Guidance to Commanding Officers:

2203.5 These fundamental concepts are supported by the following selection of fitness guidelines to establishing a culture of fitness:

a. It is imperative that the requirement for fitness training at least five times a week is respected and applied.  As Commanding Officers you will be in a position to facilitate this requirement for all your personnel.

b. Seek out every opportunity for CF members to include exercise in their work routines. The mantras of “fitness on your own time” or “we don’t have time for fitness” are to be eliminated.  Given what we know of the power of daily fitness to increase morale, reduce stress, and improve work performance, it is incumbent upon us to be innovative in our approach when a formal fitness routine is impractical.

Haggis said:
I'd say that it's more than a guideline.

Its a guideline. If it was anything more, my unit would have to cease most operations to meet it.

dapaterson said:
Or do we expect class A Reservists to do it on their own time, unpaid?

Yes.

Why? Because as nice as it would be to get 26 days of pay to maintain the level of fitness I already do, it would crush the budget, and most likely bring forward all sorts of control measures to ensure people actually are training as prescribed.

What I thought was fantastic was the local partnership with gyms that gave us a free gym membership, just had to show ID. This is no longuer the case for class A reservists...

Hey guys thanks for the info! I will be able to use this!

Always a wealth of information this site!

Dissident said:
Yes.

Why? Because as nice as it would be to get 26 days of pay to maintain the level of fitness I already do, it would crush the budget, and most likely bring forward all sorts of control measures to ensure people actually are training as prescribed.

If the CF is serious about something, the CF should pay for it.  We find the money to pay for the Ceremonial Guard and other frills, but won't pay for fitness?  Screwed up priorities.  Either fitness is a priority, and people are to be given working time to pursue it (per CDS direction) or it's not.

Of course, I would be very supportive of restructuring the CF compensation system to get around this.  So, for example, introduce training bounties for the class A Reserves - maintain the standards and get $XXXX per year (for the Army, that would be IBTS complete + fitness).  And for the full-timers (Reg F and class B/C Reserves), a failure on your anual fitness test would cut your pay by $200/month (arbitrary figure) until you achieve the standard.  Failure to maintain readiness levels = other penalites on your pay.

Of course, many of our malingerers would object to such measures...

Bearing mind that the CF shouldn't have the same obligation to provide daily fitness to people in the Reserves (who work a day a week approx.) as people that work there daily (hence daily fitness measures)....Not to belittle the Reserves, more to bear in mind that the CF can't tell a Reservists civilian employer to give them an hour of gym time a day!

In Kingston the Cl A reservists get use of the KMCSC for free, and only need to buy an intersection sports card to play sports. I think a free gym membership is plenty compensation for these members.

As it would be if all reservists had access to a CF gym...

Would be rather nice if they were willing to reimburse a certain value of gym member fees for members not within "x" kilometers of a CF run gym.

I think that's an acceptable compromise as well, there are a lot of PRes units not close to a major base.

PuckChaser said:
I think that's an acceptable compromise as well, there are a lot of PRes units not close to a major base.

How would that work with liability issues. If a class a member is at a gym, paid for by the CF, would he "on the clock" as far as coverage ?

CDN Aviator:
How would that work with liability issues. If a class a member is at a gym, paid for by the CF, would he "on the clock" as far as coverage ?
The reserves have been assured that they are already "covered" during off-duty PT. How far that coverage extends, I don't know.

Yes.

As he is already on the clock when participating in any other PT during Class A time.

In fact, as of late, we've been told that if we're injured in PT, on "company time" or not, we're to fill out CF 98s, as long as it's in a CF recognized fitness activity.

CDN Aviator said:

CBI 210.72 covers that possibility:

210.72(4) (Deemed Class “A” Service) Subject to paragraphs (7), (8), (9) and (10), an officer or non-commissioned member of the Reserve Force who suffers an injury, disease or illness while participating in a Commanding Officer approved CF Exercise Prescription (Expres), or Land Forces Command Physical Fitness Standard (LFCPFS) prescribed activity, as part of an authorized fitness program, is deemed to be on Class “A” Reserve Service for the sole purpose of compensation under this instruction.

Back