• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Hair Regulations - superthread [MERGED]

I read this through and someone asked the question I was wondering but I didn't see any response(sorry if there was one).

Are we allowed mohawks if we keep them short and whatnot?

I've had a mowhawk for over 5 years and I'd be sad to see it go now. I would shave it if need be but I'd rather not.

Here's a thought.... if we're allowed to dye our hair a natural colour, can it be multiple natural colours? I know people generally get away with highlights and such... what if I were to have a smiley face dyed into my hair using black and blonde dye? Hmmm... anyone care to help start a fund to pay somone to do this?

TerrellMott said:
I read this through and someone asked the question I was wondering but I didn't see any response(sorry if there was one).

Are we allowed mohawks if we keep them short and whatnot?

I've had a mowhawk for over 5 years and I'd be sad to see it go now. I would shave it if need be but I'd rather not.

Absolutely not. We're professionals and professionals don't have mohawks, period. Ever seen a cop with a mowhawk? Didn't think so.

That would probably have been the 101st Airborne. Some background below, taken from:

http://diary.gearboxsoftware.com/index.php?p=archive&e=4

Q7: Asked by jman71

Mohawks: Why did Airborne troops have them, about how many did it, was it based on squad, platoon, or company, or was it just a few guys doing it for fun. I think this is kind of funny, I can't imagine a G.I. with a Mohawk.

Answer

Mohawks! Super question!! The photo you may have seen of 101st Airborne paratroopers with Mohawk haircuts was a special group - and only a single 12 man squad of paratroopers from the 101st Airborne, who called themselves the Filthy 13 - and they answer why is attitude. This squad was notorious in the 101st Airborne for hard fighting and reckless courage. The spirit of the Filthy 13 was sparked by a paratrooper named Jake McNiece, a half Native American man from Oklahoma who was reportedly the toughest man in the squad. The squad were immortalized on D-Day by a Stars and Stripes photographer who filmed them placing war paint on their faces. The Filthy 13 fought all the way through until the end of the war, although with heavy casualties. A total of 30 soldiers passed through the squad to replace those killed or wounded in combat.

I would say it's become a Unit tradition. Perhaps Matt, Pappy, Old Guy or Sherwood could fill us in. Maybe it's not their Corps, but would probably know more than us.

Look at the British military... lots of longer hair there!

Really? When I visit the BritFor camp here in Kabul, the only long hair I see is on females or on officers. The NCOs and men usually have VERY short hair. I think you may be confusing the rather sloppy "stylish" practices of some British officers (esp Cavalry...) with what their soldiers in general do.

I agree that short hair alone does not make a soldier-the Cold War Soviet Army usually shaved its troops heads, and IMHO they were some of the worst troops that ever served anywhere, and the Russian army appears to be no better. The US, for example, frowns on moustaches whereas we are very proud of them and would never say they are "unmilitary". It is more about the attitude that goes with it. I tend to think, though, that a soldier in our Army today who intentionally keep his hair as long as he can likely has an attitude problem---("likely", I said).  I like my hair very short-I get a Number One cut at the barber-so I am a bit prejudiced.

Cheers

I was wondering if I should have my hair cut before I go to BMQ, or can I get it done there, I leave in 2 days so it would be good to know.

Yeah, you'll want to let them cut your hair because if it's not done right you'll hear about it... Not a good way to start basic.

If you're going to St Jean let them do it.

There's some kind of contract with the barber there and kicking up a fuss over the $40 you'll spend on hair cuts while you're there is NOT WORTH IT. Just be a sheep and pay the $8 every couple weeks regardless if you think you need it or own your own clippers or whatever, just play along.

haircuts are $8.50 now :)
and the longest u can get is a 2.
some staff let you grow the hair on top, some don't.
my course had to get all 1s

casus, when did they change it so the longest you could get was a 2? any idea? guys from my platoon used to go in and just get trimmed around the ears and off the collar, not touching the rest of the sides or top. as well, those butchers at the mega give terrible haircuts for what you pay. but thats life i suppose.

I think that many of the reasons given for the WHY we have short hair, don't really address the historical reasons for short hair in the military (not that I have a ready answer, but I thought I'd throw out the question).

After watching Cold Mountain and The Last Samurai on TV not too long ago (gotta love the HD PVR!!!! Record it and watch it whenever you want! But that's another issue......) I was thinking about why, in that era, soldiers had long hair, and during the later conflicts, short hair became the norm. I suspect (and could be wrong) that short hair came to being as a result of the lessons learned from that century, in regards to cleanliness and infection (ie they learned that soldiers with wounds left outside of barns, basically to die, outlived soldiers that were in better shape that were in the barns to recover, due to the unsanitary conditions.......).

Anyway, I have witnessed some different militaries of late with regard to their attitudes towards hair. I remember everybody saying how the Dutch army was full of long haired hippies, and then I worked with them in Bosnia in '00. The majority of them had shorter hair than me, and I used to be a #1 on sides and back type of guy. I asked a few guys about it, and they said it was personal preference, and that they sign something like an agreement not to embarras the Royal Dutch Army while deployed overseas with ridiculous hair (again, I could be wrong, but that was my take on how it was explained.....).

The military always has, and always will have, people who like to look "different", be it with highlights in their hair, long sideburns, handle-bar mustaches, obsolete or foreign kit (even if it is technically inferior to issue kit), tattoos, etc. I myself have recently grown a mustache (being on parental leave, I am able to avoid the jabs of my peers commenting on the cheesiness of it as it grows in.... I'm fair skinned and blonde, so it is admittedly pretty lame, but what the hell.....) and I shaved my head bald, right down to the wood, as I was in need of a haircut, and my hairline was starting the slowl march north....., and I have had tattoos since I joined. I guess nobody wants to look like everybody else, but I think it has as of late gotten a little ridiculous, particularly with some of the haircolours that people are starting to show up to work with, and some of the piercings.

A lot of the reasons can be societal or cultural as well, which I'm sure have been discussed (BTW, I didn't slog through 14 pages of posts, so I'm probably treading ground already covered, so stop reading if it's repetitive.....) already. My wife is in the military, and we have had "discussions" on why is it we want an "equal" military with regards to rights, pay, etc, but how is it that women don't have to get their heads shaved when they join, as men do??? Her reasoning (which is lame, IMHO) is that it is the norm in society for women to have long hair, and if women had to shave their heads (even once, as the great equalizer that it is meant to be in recruit training) they wouldn't join. Fair enough, but I know a lot of guys that had long (and I mean LONG) hair when they joined, and went through with it. Or how about all the potential super-soldiers out there with long hair (but NO mullets, please!!!!!) that won't join due to the current regs. Does anybody remember how hot Demi Moore looked in GI Jane???!?!?! Yes she had very little hair, if you looked north of her chest....... And I've seen more that a few women, in and out of the military, with short hair, and there was little chance of mistaking them for men.

Obviously, I am inclined to think that short hair is what should be the norm in the military for any number of reasons (hygiene, safety, appearance) but I suspect the policy makers will continue to change the regs for their reasons (increase recruiting, placate activists, etc) rather than the traditional ones.

Anyway. that's my thought on this matter.

Al

What is the deal with those crazy handlebar moustaches anyway? I mean, I can see it on an RSM, but when you see a Corporal running around with a waxed up 'stash... 

the hair above the beret line is yours to do whatever you want with, but some course staff will make everyone have the same haircut.
you can't bic your head unless you have a medical reason to do so.

I shaved my head in Kandahar for awhile.  I had to stop.  I wasn't very good at it, and whenever I tried it, my washbasin looked like Alfred Hitchcock had filmed the shower scene from "Psycho" in it.

Tom

As far as bicing: If we showed up with no hair we were allowed to continue that way.

casus belli said:
the hair above the beret line is yours to do whatever you want with.....

Within reason. It must somewhat reasonable and whatever you do.....

Don't die it BLUE!!!    ::)

Don't ask....believe me.

Regards

Franko said:
Within reason. It must somewhat reasonable and whatever you do.....

Don't die it BLUE!!!     ::)

Don't ask....believe me.

Regards

why franko got some bad experiences?

Back