• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Hair Regulations - superthread [MERGED]

Hamish Seggie said:
In case you aren't clear.....NO.

Mohawk-style hair regulation seems to be a popular Q and A in this thread:  :)
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&q=site:army.ca+mohawk+hair+regulations&ei=ZFVGVbLeO8b3yQT09IHYBg#rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&q=site:army.ca+mohawk+%22CF+Hair+Regulations%22+

Sorry for reviving this old thread. I am planning to join the reserve force out of love for this country and a conviction to do more with my life. I have been trying to gather information on whether or not I will be allowed to maintain my hair (on religious/cultural grounds). I have seen in this thread mention of beards being allowed on that basis, in accommodation of Muslim and Sikh members, and long / braided hair accommodation for men where native. I am not from any of those groups... But have dreadlocks which are a significant part of my cultural heritage and beliefs.

Will I still be forced to cut my hair in BMQ or otherwise?

I am curious.  What religion exposes that its followers wear dreadlocks?

You don't necessarily have to have dreadlocks to be a Rastafarian.

George Wallace said:
I am curious.  What religion exposes that its followers wear dreadlocks?

You don't necessarily have to have dreadlocks to be a Rastafarian.
Yes, that is correct for the most part. However, dreadlocks, respected and symbolic of one's crown is pivotal to most of the pillars/mansions of Rastafari. Additionally, culturally our locks form part of our identity that both aligns and differentiates our heritage in the context of Jamaican culture....

My question though is how this fits in with our Canadian culture agnostic way of life, within the strict and structured environment of the army. I've outlined the bits above that I can garner from this thread and others, as it applies to some other groups. I have not found anything that applies to my situation.

To cut to the chase you will have to cut your hair, the only authorized departures from "standard military haircuts" are for those service personnel that are Aboriginal members or adherents of the Sikh Religion.

dangerboy said:
To cut to the chase you will have to cut your hair, the only authorized departures from "standard military haircuts" are for those service personnel that are Aboriginal members or adherents of the Sikh Religion.
This is what I wanted to know. Thanks.

How are Sikh members accommodated? I assume turbans are a no no (obvious safety/gear issues)... Do they have to cut their hair to a length that fits safely in their head gear?

M16LR.50 said:
This is what I wanted to know. Thanks.

How are Sikh members accommodated? I assume turbans are a no no (obvious safety/gear issues)... Do they have to cut their hair to a length that fits safely in their head gear?

From the CF Dress Manual:
SIKHS SIKHS
14. A CF member who is an adherent of the
Sikh religion (Keshadharis) shall wear CF pattern
uniforms and adhere to standard CF dress policy
and instructions, with the following exceptions:

a. Hair and beard shall remain uncut, provided
that the operational mission and safety is
not jeopardized when it is required that the
member wear occupational and operational
equipment such as gas masks, oxygen
masks, combat/vehicle/flying helmets, hard
hats, scuba masks, etc. When a hazard
clearly exists, the hair and/or beard shall be
modified to the degree necessary for
wearing the required equipment.

b. In addition to uncut hair, four other symbolic
requirements of the Sikh religion are
authorized for wear by both male and
female members (see paragraph 16.), with
all orders of dress. Should a conflict arise
between the requirement to wear safety or
operational items of clothing and equipment
and these religious symbols, the manner
and location of wearing these symbols be adjusted. Unit commanders retain the
right to order the manner of this adjustment
as necessary to meet valid safety and
operational requirements.

c. A turban shall be worn by male members
with ceremonial, mess, service dress.
Turbans shall also be worn with
occupational and operational dress, subject
to the safety and operational considerations
noted in sub-paragraph a., above. When
engaged in combat operations, operational
training or when serving with peacekeeping
or multinational contingents, adherents of
the Sikh religion shall, when deemed
essential, cover their head with a patka or
other customary clothing item (see
paragraph 21.), over which they shall wear
the headdress (including combat helmets)
and other items of military equipment as
ordered by the commanding officer.

dangerboy said:
From the CF Dress Manual:
SIKHS SIKHS
14. A CF member who is an adherent of the
Sikh religion (Keshadharis) shall wear CF pattern
uniforms and adhere to standard CF dress policy
and instructions, with the following exceptions:

a. Hair and beard shall remain uncut, provided
that the operational mission and safety is
not jeopardized when it is required that the
member wear occupational and operational
equipment such as gas masks, oxygen
masks, combat/vehicle/flying helmets, hard
hats, scuba masks, etc. When a hazard
clearly exists, the hair and/or beard shall be
modified to the degree necessary for
wearing the required equipment.

b. In addition to uncut hair, four other symbolic
requirements of the Sikh religion are
authorized for wear by both male and
female members (see paragraph 16.), with
all orders of dress. Should a conflict arise
between the requirement to wear safety or
operational items of clothing and equipment
and these religious symbols, the manner
and location of wearing these symbols be adjusted. Unit commanders retain the
right to order the manner of this adjustment
as necessary to meet valid safety and
operational requirements.

c. A turban shall be worn by male members
with ceremonial, mess, service dress.
Turbans shall also be worn with
occupational and operational dress, subject
to the safety and operational considerations
noted in sub-paragraph a., above. When
engaged in combat operations, operational
training or when serving with peacekeeping
or multinational contingents, adherents of
the Sikh religion shall, when deemed
essential, cover their head with a patka or
other customary clothing item (see
paragraph 21.), over which they shall wear
the headdress (including combat helmets)
and other items of military equipment as
ordered by the commanding officer.
I see. Well thank you for the quick and to-the-point replies.

So I just joined my reserve unit and was told I need to get a haircut. I got one 4 weeks ago and I'm wondering if I can hold off 2 weeks as I have a wedding I want to get it cut for and instead get the sides and back cleaned up for cheaper then get a haircut fully in two weeks. I know my length on top is way below 6 inches but they said it's too long? As well how long can my sides be? They're probably at a #3 right now.

I'm not trying to cheat the system just would like to not have to get 2 haircuts in 3 weeks.

If you've been told you need a haircut, then you need a haircut.  Waiting two weeks is likely not an option unless you don't plan on attending any unit training or other activities in the interim.  If you get it cut really short now, it may not need another one for the wedding.

#3 is seldom short enough under any circumstances.

Years ago there was an (eccentric) admiral who went to the Dockyard Barber every day so no one could ever criticize his haircut.  Then there was a Commander of the Army who seemingly seldom saw a barber and his haircut was always criticized.

I'm sure you will find that your Coxswain/SWO?Sgt Major will be sympathetic with your plight, so you could always plead your case with them.  [:D

6 weeks is isanse, I'll get a 0 or 1 and find  I'm hard pressed to get 3 maybe 4 weeks out of a haircut.

Like Pusser said, if someone said get a hair cut, get a hair cut. Don't be a problem child, especially over $15.

runormal said:
6 weeks is isanse, I'll get a 0 or 1 and find  I'm hard pressed to get 3 maybe 4 weeks out of a haircut.

Like Pusser said, if someone said get a hair cut, get a hair cut. Don't be a problem child, especially over $15.

Insane to say the least! I have never gone more than 2 weeks - on tour, on course, on leave, on exercise - ever! Just the statement "I only got one 4 weeks ago..." makes me quiver.

Dab - please just get a haicut. Pusser said it best - if you have been told to do something, do it. Not doing something you have been told to do will cost you a heck of a lot more than a haircut in the end!

BinRat55 said:
Insane to say the least! I have never gone more than 2 weeks - on tour, on course, on leave, on exercise - ever! Just the statement "I only got one 4 weeks ago..." makes me quiver.

Dab - please just get a haicut. Pusser said it best - if you have been told to do something, do it. Not doing something you have been told to do will cost you a heck of a lot more than a haircut in the end!

I should clarify I don't work every day/weekend  8). The 4 week would only ever be hit, if I wasn't working and if the weekend before that I was going into the field. Usually every 2 maybe 2.5 weeks but if I'm working consistently anything over that is pushing it.

What's wrong with a #3?  I've gotten #3 before.  In the winter when is colder, I usually go with #3, and get it cut every pay day. 

The dress regs lay out the acceptable standard; whatever it says in there is what you need to go by.

BinRat55 said:

You should see the mops on peoples heads lately. There was even an entry in one of the most recent RCN Dress Comittee Minutes that spoke of the concern over hair cuts in the Navy: "whereas some are shaving the side of their head, yet letting the top portion to the maximum length allowed by regulation in the Dress Instruction manual."

runormal said:
I should clarify I don't work every day/weekend 
No problem then;  if your hair doesn't grow outside of duty hours, you should be fine.    :nod:

:facepalm:

Lumber said:
You should see the mops on peoples heads lately. There was even an entry in one of the most recent RCN Dress Comittee Minutes that spoke of the concern over hair cuts in the Navy: "whereas some are shaving the side of their head, yet letting the top portion to the maximum length allowed by regulation in the Dress Instruction manual."

The dress regs adresses that issue.  Specifically this part:  gradually decreasing to blend with the taper-trimmed sides and back

Those hitler youth haircuts are not regulation cuts and need to be corrected.  This has also come up in the army and it was noted that the rules cover this. 

Remius said:
The dress regs adresses that issue.  Specifically this part:  gradually decreasing to blend with the taper-trimmed sides and back

Those hitler youth haircuts are not regulation cuts and need to be corrected.  This has also come up in the army and it was noted that the rules cover this.

I'm pretty sure this can be blamed on Brad Pitt's hair in Fury - the undercut is "cool" again. 

I guy I worked with was told to get a haircut.  He did, but told the barber "I'd like a haircut that makes it look like I didn't have a haircut."

Back