• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBC Documentry on Airsoft in Canada *link to video inside*

I have family in that area of BC.. does anyone know what field that was?

Cheers.

Originally posted by D-n-A:
[qb] Also, guess what, just cause you join the army doesn‘t mean your gonna go around shooting people.. [/qb]
Well I hope so. But we do train for it.

Originally posted by Da_man:
[qb] I agree with the law, these weapons shouldnt be legal. People are going to start threatening other people with M16s and M249s replicas :eek: [/qb]
So what?

You should change the firearms laws so that threatening someone with a replica firearm is as serious an offence as someone with a real firearm.

Why punish the innocent?

I write books and articles on historical uniforms and have a fairly sizeable collection. You can buy Airsoft replicas of the MP40 machine pistol for as little as 15 dollars US on ebay. Trouble is, I have no import license so I can‘t get one into the country. It would be a great prop for a mannequin, or photos to promote my ebay business of selling replica uniforms to re-enactors.

But because somebody "might" threaten someone, I can‘t have one.

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

If someone is stupid enough to use a BB Gun in a stickup, they should have the book thrown at them. Punishing the airsoft clubs and collectors (vehicle collectors like airsoft too, for props on military vehicle displays) is kind of ***-backwards, don‘t you think?

Hatchet Man, To purchase a airsoft gun, you must be 18+, to purchase a spring airsoft gun, you have to be 21(because their cheap, they don‘t want to sell to teens who could use it for somthing stupid, if your gonna threathen somone, why do it with a $500 rifle, when you can do it with a $50 pistol).

I can‘t speak for anyone else, but at the airsoft club I play with, we discourage people from buying airsoft guns just so thet can shoot somthin "cool" in their backyard, an do stupid stuff.
http://bcairsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1411
^ some kid wants to buy a AK47 airsoft gun cause it‘s super cool..

CI Phlipster, the airsoftfield/paintball field shown in the cbc segment is Panther Paintball, located in Surrey, BC.

Da_man, obviously the army trains for war...

Let‘s make more laws that prohibit people from doing anything at all!!! :rolleyes:

The media and Liberals have certainly gotten to a few heads here.

Obviously these guys are in the minority, but they are the reasons why there needs to be stricter control on these things.
Yeah one kid gets a BB in the brain and now these are dangerous weapons :rolleyes:

I guess knives and bats should have been banned a long time ago.

I agree with the law, these weapons shouldnt be legal. People are going to start threatening other people with M16s and M249s rep
There was a kid in school once threaten to run over me with a car, I guess we should ban cars while we are at it.

If some one commits a crime with a weapon or replica the punishment should be harsh, not a slap on the wrist and "don‘t do it again".

DNA is it actually written in Law that you must be 18 and up to buy airsoft guns, or is it store policies. There is a BIG difference.

Farmboy these items need stricter regulation than they have now. I have never heard of "replica" knives, bats (other than movie props, and those are not easy to find) and cars. They are "replica" firearms and they should be treated like the real deal. To those who think people won‘t go out and buy these and use them unlawfully, well people do. Not everyone has the connections or know who to go to for illegal firearms even in Toronto. Anyone remember the guy who was shot at St. Michael‘s Hospital in Toronto by the ETF, after holding a Doc at gun point with a "replica". The officers had no way of knowing if the gun was fake. Face it people use them for illegal purposes, and as always the majority have to pay for the minority.

CI Phlipster it was the QOR and the 48th who utilized the airsoft training. It was quite fun.

Farmboy these items need stricter regulation than they have now. I have never heard of "replica" knives, bats (other than movie props, and those are not easy to find) and cars. They are "replica" firearms and they should be treated like the real deal.
REAL bats, knives and cars :rolleyes:

Crimminals are crimminals because they break the law. They use everything illegaly, so should we restrict all things?

If some one is going to use a replica fire arm to hold up a bank or hospital then yes, he should be shot if it comes to it.

Units and leaders have to take a lot of care when using paintball and airsoft guns when training(even simmunition to an extent).

I think it‘s an excellent way to build confidence and teach people fire and movement. It‘s great training to actually have projectiles cmming back at a soldier instead of lasers or blanks. You have to make sure people don‘t start having too much fun and get into the mindset that rounds won‘t go through doors, walls or plastic blue rain barrels however.

I‘ve seen soldiers stand up out of trenches and run across open fields laughing firing from the hip, guys rolling around comming in a room waving their paintball rifle all over the place spraying a room with rounds, pick up a garbage can lid and use it as a shield. List goes on. I‘m a big fan of bringing fun and new types of training to the army (especially the reserves to get attendence up.) but you can‘t let it get too far from reality.

Just something that bugs me.

I think they should not ban or make it illeagle to own or use them (what ever the case may be).

That(the video) was probably the first time I have seen an Airsoft gun. Now witnessing how it can be used to bonding in relationships (Father son), for example,
I don‘t have a very good relationship if (really) any at all with my family. Over time, it just began slipping, and I remember my father used to hunt when he was young, owned a jeep and liked doing out-side stuff.
Now seeing that video on Airsoft, and how that father and son bonded, I am very temped to begin something like, if not the same thing, with my dad or brothers. It gives best of both worlds, go outside, get excersise, use the airsoft guns have fun and rebuild that bond I once had. We are not the typical traditional family when it comes to having fun as a family. At least with the males, we have to go out and shoot each other in order to enjoy it ...

Hatchet Man, every airsoft retailer I know of(canadian, US, Hong Kong, etc) do not sell to Minors. If its store policy or law, I don‘t know. To buy BB guns in Canadian tire, you have to be 18+, is that law or store policy? I‘d assume it would be law? And it would apply to airsoft guns aswell?

When I wanted to buy a pellet gun several years ago (I would‘ve been about 15, or 16 at the time, so I suppose about 8 years ago), Canadian tire didn‘t sell to minors because of store policy. I ended up going to a different store to purchase the thing, with absolutely no problems. It might‘ve changed in the last 8 years, but thats how it used to be.

I agree with farmboy. One can get charged with armed robbery by passing a note that he has a gun, or having his finger pointed in his jacket pocket too.

An air rifle is an air rifle, and because it resembles a AUG or an AKM is irrevellant.

Instead of more restrictions on us law abiding citizens, why not have mantatory sentancing (increase the mininum time served) for crimes involving robbery using a weapon. Say 10 yrs mininum.

Its too late for Australia, as these airsolfts are entirely banned along with all replicas. One also requires a permit to buy handcuffs, and its against the law to even possess a 2" bladed mini Swiss Army knife without lawful reason.

You dont want to see Canada with these tight laws. They are too restricted.

Australia has mandatory sentancing for many charges,and here if you get a life sentance, thats exactly what it is. The rest of your life is behind bars, and thats by far better than a maximum of 25 years in the Canadian justice system.

Cheers,

Wes

Had an interesting conversation with a guy at the gun shop in Waterloo today.

Got into the discussion about airsoft with him. He told me that as of now, they can only sell the clear airsoft guns, and none that look even remotely real from a distance. He is very anti-airsoft/paintball, but he agrees with me on the piont that it is only a few jacka____ that do stupid s___ with the guns, and that most of the time, it is kids that have no intention of playing the game in an organized group, but just buy them cause they want to scare their friends.

I told him about this discussion board, and more specificaly, the arguement put forward by Michael Dorosh.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:
[qb]
You should change the firearms laws so that threatening someone with a replica firearm is as serious an offence as someone with a real firearm.

Why punish the innocent?

I write books and articles on historical uniforms and have a fairly sizeable collection. You can buy Airsoft replicas of the MP40 machine pistol for as little as 15 dollars US on ebay. Trouble is, I have no import license so I can‘t get one into the country. It would be a great prop for a mannequin, or photos to promote my ebay business of selling replica uniforms to re-enactors.

But because somebody "might" threaten someone, I can‘t have one.

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

If someone is stupid enough to use a BB Gun in a stickup, they should have the book thrown at them. Punishing the airsoft clubs and collectors (vehicle collectors like airsoft too, for props on military vehicle displays) is kind of ***-backwards, don‘t you think? [/qb]
He agrees with me, and with MD‘s observations on the need for more severe punishment of crimes committed with ‘replicas‘, but remains anti-airsoft/paintball, if merely for the fact that the game represents (to him) the evil of what these punks are responsible for doing to the firearms industry.

The age restriction is a good idea, and mabye there should even be a special permit that can be issued for life, kind of a non-lethal type PAL, for Pellet/Airsoft and Paintball.

I have my PAL paperwork ready to go, and the testing etc. to get it is no big deal So with a recreational license, or whatever, there would be a little extra hassle, but not too much, when you think that your rights are being protected, and safety requirements are being met, which makes the game all the better anyway.

I thinking making people who want to play airsoft take a PAL course or something is a bit extreme.

Just don't sell to Minors, an if you sell a airsoft gun, don't sell it to someone who think is immature an might do stupid stuff with it, kinda hard to do I know, but, I dunno what else to suggest"

Good in theory, but how are you going to enforce a policy like that? some kid making minimum wage isn't going to think twice about selling one to another kid, they are getting paid to sell things, and that is what they are doing.

The other option is to just have the parents or an older sibling buy it for you.  I'm 16 right now and I have had 2 paintball guns.  My parents bought both and now they are mine.  I could probably ask them for an airsoft as well but I want to play the game before I make any purchase.  The other thing is under what circumstances do you sell the guns.  At Canadian Tire anyone can walk off the street and buy one so they regulate it.  But I was at a major paintball scenario game on SUnday (Pheonix Project) and my friend won a paintball gun in a draw and they just handed it to him no questions.  He's 16 as well.  But I think that it is a little different in this case because you know the person you are giving it to plays paintball.  There is no guarantee that they won't do something stupid, but there is less of a chance.  That's just my 2 cents.

Back