• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cardio vs Fatburn

AirCanuck

Inactive
Reaction score
so.

My school (UWO) just opened a state of the art gym, and I've been taking full advantage.  However, when on cardio machines I frequently wonder about the heart rate target 'zones' ie. fat burn zone, cardio zone.  Cardio is a higher rate than fat burn, so a question has been nagging at me:  If I go at the cardio rate, does that mean I'm now not burning fat as efficiently, despite being at a higher heart rate than the 'fat burn zone'? ie lets say fat burn is 60% of max heart rate, cardio is 80% of max heart rate (theoretical numbers).

Hope someone knows the answer to this one!

A few other things WRT to 'fat loss' that you might consider are;

1.  What you eat, when you eat it and how you eat it (5 smaller meals are better than 3 larger ones)

2.  Exercises that keep your RMR (resting metabolic rate) up longer after you stop doing the exercise (weight lifting keeps your RMR up higher for longer than riding a stationary bike will, as an example).

Ignore that Cardio/Fat burn stuff.  Workout with intensity and frequently (as well as eating more of the good stuff less of the bad), and you will lose fat, and improve your cardio.

Back