• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN 97/08 LDA FAQs

BigDaddyFatback

Inactive
Reaction score
Is anyone in the know about certain units being designated "Field Units", and receiving $200 some odd bucks a month on their pay? Is this happening? If so...when?

Although it was announced as part of Budget 2007. Nothing has been officially/released published yet - It will appear here: http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dppd/allowance/engraph/allow_pol_e.asp?sidesection=3&sidecat=30  It is discussed in other topic thread on the site as "Field Environmental Allowance".

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/58972.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/66054.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/63520.0.html

Frostnipped Elf beat me to it,

Except that the latest brief by DCBA said that it was being "renamed to Field Duty Allowance (FDA) as the CDS did not like the initial designation".

From an O-Group last week, it MAY be announced as early as mid-March.

This thread should be moved and merged to the proper forum. Just my 2 1/2 cents.

This has now been officially passed on to us in an O gp on 2 Apr 08. Here is what were were told:

1. $238 per month for all mbrs posted to "Field Units". I am pretty sure that if you have the word "Regiment" at the back-end of your Unit's name, then you probably qualify.
2. This will be a taxable benefit. No surprises there.
3. Field Pay will be retro-active to 1 Apr 07.
4. Back-pay and initial payments to commence Nov 08. (That means about 22 months worth of back-pay, i.e. $2600 @ 50% tax)
5. If you were in the field and recieved Field Pay during the period of  1 Apr 07 and Nov 08, you will have that amount deducted from your back-pay amount.

A nice little chunk of change, just before Christmas!!

LCIS-Tech said:
This has now been officially passed on to us in an O gp on 2 Apr 08. Here is what were were told:

1. $238 per month for all mbrs posted to "Field Units". I am pretty sure that if you have the word "Regiment" at the back-end of your Unit's name, then you probably qualify.
2. This will be a taxable benefit. No surprises there.
3. Field Pay will be retro-active to 1 Apr 07.
4. Back-pay and initial payments to commence Nov 08. (That means about 22 months worth of back-pay, i.e. $2600 @ 50% tax)
5. If you were in the field and recieved Field Pay during the period of  1 Apr 07 and Nov 08, you will have that amount deducted from your back-pay amount.

A nice little chunk of change, just before Christmas!!

Whoever passed it on to you must have missed the part of:

This has not been approved as of this date.

and it's still pending.

Regards

No, actually, it IS approved, which is why it was passed on to us at an O Gp from our OC, who in turn got it from the Commander at his O Gp on Monday.

LCIS,

You got the same general info that I recd from the CO and passed on to my pers yesterday. We had earlier had the DCBA email brief with those figures as well.

Our O Gp point: "has now been approved, it is expected to take a minimum of 10 months to see implementation onto pay." <-- That goes with your "Nov" timeframe for receiving backpay.

They noted that the message was expected to be cut shortly.

So anyone have any ideas, how this well be implemented for Reserve Field units?

Members of Reserve units will receive Casual Field Duty Allowance (or Casual "Whatever Bureaucratic Name This Thing Gets" Allowance).  Just like Naval Reservists and Air Reservists draw casual allowances when entitled.  There will not be a monthly amount added to pay.  In other words, no change - if you got FOA before, you'll get Casual WBNTTGA now.

LCIS-Tech said:

1. $238 per month for all mbrs posted to "Field Units".
One point to add.  From what I received from my chain of command, that is the starting rate.  The more time you have in a "Field Unit", the more you will receive.  I forget the amounts, but it gets quite substantial.

is there a official memo on this ? as a fmr mmeber of the PPCLI id like more info

axeman said:
is there a official memo on this ? as a fmr mmeber of the PPCLI id like more info

The message has not been cut yet.

Until that time -- nothing is "actually" official and is still subject to whatever change.

I'm quite sure though, that as soon as the message is cut -- you'll see it here.

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
One point to add.  From what I received from my chain of command, that is the starting rate.  The more time you have in a "Field Unit", the more you will receive.  I forget the amounts, but it gets quite substantial.

I wonder why we didn't just piggy back on the sea duty allowance.

Taken from the sea duty Table to CBI 205.35

Less than 5 years $291
5 years or more but less than 9 years $414
9 years or more but less than 12 years $537
12 years or more but less than 15 years $649
15 years or more but less than 18 years $691
18 years or more $733

I think the army/CF does a poor job overall in explaining the rationale behind the decisions that are made especially when it comes to things soldiers hold close to their hearts (like money).  I can think of many shocked individuals wondering why the original PLD rate for Edmonton was so low at $232.  No one explain to the soldiers that it was due to being based on 2005 levels for the calculations.  2005 was right when things were heating up in the economy and hadn't reached the levels we see now.  The newer more in line with the economy rates just came out and soldiers are much happier with the adjustment. 

$232 is less than the starting rate for sea duty.  But are there unseen factors (to the average soldier) that would make it reasonable that sailors get that extra little bit?  Or are all environmental allowances being adjusted to one common rate(s)?  I wish when they make changes like this they would send unit COs a cheatsheet so they could explain the why to their soldiers.  Things usually make sense once they are properly explained.  But it the fact that everyone seems to be floundering to find the answers for their soldiers when a simple FAQ of sorts could be made.

With all the O Groups out on this would that infer that it has passed the Treasury board or is there still the chance that the gov't pull this back in?

Here's a question, with CFSME being designated a field unit (says the grape vine) how would this work out for those of us who go there to support courses but are also on TD?

(points to dapaterson for the answer  ;D)

Funny thing now we have cpl's making much more than some Sgt's!
Anyone got they pay incentives?I did but only focused on mine.

Back