• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANEX toques

Kingston base says it
s ok but my unit will not allow any of it.

Plus, those wool ones are so damned  ITCHY!!!!

I wonder if the chain of command trump cards ever work in FAVOUR of the troops....

Funny enough, the issued touques stick out like sore thumbs here.  Everyone wears fleece (in various hues, some especially colourful PT ones out there).  No CADPAT though.

I swear my issued one was somehow shrunken prior to being issued to me. I wear a new york yankees toque instead now....ahh to be in the reserves.  ;D

I bought a tan and white canex fleece toque.  Very thin, sleek and nice - I'm wearing the tan one right now. About the cadpat toques I have no problem in my unit wearing it - so far.

What is the big deal people, the RSM passed the word here in LFWA, no Canex toques allowed, personally, I hate buying that stuff, if I was meant to wear it I would have been issued it, having said that I have on occasion worn items in the field that perhaps were not regulation but have kept me either warm or dry, but that is the field. When you are talking Airforce types the simple fact remains that we are not allowed to wear items of clothing that cause static electricity, fleece does, there was actually a directive that came out stating that very thing though it was infact referencing the wearing of by personnel employed in EOD operations or working with explosives.

Don't get me wrong I think that there is always better kit out there and sometimes I have to wonder where they get the input to provide that what they do, I was involved in a trial back in 92 with ICE gear we had before, made lots of recommendations then, some we see now, not implying that my suggestions resulted in this. Just that it sometimes takes this outfit years to come around or up to speed on equipment and clothing, especially adaptation of civilian equipment to military that's all.

:salute:  :cdn:

once a gunner said:
I guess we'll have to wait till someone head huncho in 1 CAD or NDHQ starts wearing the fleece toque before it's allowed....I'II just suck it up and solider on! :salute:
Seeing as the AF CWO said no and that he would not recommend it for approval, you are not likely to see anyone authorized to wear it for quite some time.
Chief Warrant Officer of the Air Force 22 Feb 2008 said:
Bonjour à tous,

What Canex call the AF tuques has not been approved by ACCDC nor NDCDC and is not authorized for wear with the AF DEU or LWCC uniform. I currently have a sample of the tuque and will bring it to next ACCDC for discussion to close the loop but be aware that I will not support nor recommend approval based on 2 criteria: design and color. Your comments are welcome so that I can present a complete picture to the next ACCDC to be held sometime in March.

So at the risk of repeating myself, the blue Canex AF tuques is not authorized for wear with any of the AF uniform.

After i posted the original post I gave up on the idea of actually getting to wear it.  Thanks Blue Grunt I never thought about the static electricity thing......not being on a Airbase with actual aircraft I forgot about that concern.  Also  PO2finclk  thanks for quote from the AF chief...where did you get that??  At least they are looking at a replacement....any thing would be better than the one we have!

BLUE GRUNT said:
When you are talking Airforce types the simple fact remains that we are not allowed to wear items of clothing that cause static electricity, fleece does, there was actually a directive that came out stating that very thing though it was infact referencing the wearing of by personnel employed in EOD operations or working with explosives.

I have worn my fleece toque and issued fleece (as an outer) on many demolition ranges, and have never been jacked up for it  ;D

I have not seen anything on this, not saying there isn't, just that I haven't seen anything.

NL_engineer said:
I have worn my fleece toque and issued fleece (as an outer) on many demolition ranges, and have never been jacked up for it  ;D

The order that came out prohibited the wear of the fleece WITH the IECS gortex. It came out while i was still at CFSME.

once a gunner said:
where did you get that?? 
It was an email sent by himself intended to be circulated CF wide through CoC's and CWO's/CPO1's so that all pers were aware of the acceptability of the Canex toques for AF pers.

BLUE GRUNT said:
What is the big deal people, the RSM passed the word here in LFWA, no Canex toques allowed, personally, I hate buying that stuff, if I was meant to wear it I would have been issued it, having said that I have on occasion worn items in the field that perhaps were not regulation but have kept me either warm or dry, but that is the field.

So you managed to contradict yourself within one run on sentence?  Nice. This sounds like as good an idea as "No CP Gear name tags".  Truly hardcore.  ::)

How much static is your head generating while you do your job?  I'm not an airframe tech, but do you rub your head against the weapon systems at some point? 
Guys should be comfortable doing their jobs.  If one is content to rely on the CF to give them their gear, then that is fine for them.  But maybe if The Green Machine were a bit quicker on the uptake to pursue items to make their personnel's lives a bit better guys wouldn't be so quick to buy their own stuff. 
On the Army side, pretty much everyone wears the fleece toques if they are so inclined.  They are all over Pet.

popnfresh said:
I swear my issued one was somehow shrunken prior to being issued to me. I wear a new york yankees toque instead now....ahh to be in the reserves.  ;D

I really hope you're not serious...

zipperhead_cop said:
How much static is your head generating while you do your job? 

Not one single email i have seen thus far indicates that this is static related. The canex Tuque has not been aproved for all uniforms in the AF and we rarely do anything on aircrafts wearing DEUs now do we ?

almost everyone in Ottawa wears the fleece OD or CADPAT even at NDHQ. If you are lucky you can even get the new fleece toques issued from the CFSU(O) clothing stores. i don't see how they can be unauthorized if they are issuing them out. personally i bout my OD one at CANEX in Pet for 7.99 they had 4 or 5 types and the CADPAT ones are ugly but they were along of reg forces guys wearing them around Pet when I was there.

Cfn. Amlin said:
almost everyone in Ottawa wears the fleece OD or CADPAT even at NDHQ. If you are lucky you can even get the new fleece toques issued from the CFSU(O) clothing stores. i don't see how they can be unauthorized if they are issuing them out. personally i bout my OD one at CANEX in Pet for 7.99 they had 4 or 5 types and the CADPAT ones are ugly but they were along of reg forces guys wearing them around Pet when I was there.

I am not surprised by what they wear at NDHQ, it has never been a well-disciplined mob. However, I am impressed that you have observed enough people actually wearing headdress outdoors to leave an impression. ::)

I have been serving in Pet for more than 5 years I can honestly say in that period of time I have only seen 1 or 2 silly souls wearing those silly CADPAT toques.   ;D (I call B.S., this is not along/alot by any stretch of the imagination).

Cfn. Amlin said:
i don't see how they can be unauthorized if they are issuing them out.

You are more than welcome to go and point this out to the AFCWO, i'm sure he will enjoy your feedback.

CDN Aviator said:
You are more than welcome to go and point this out to the AFCWO, i'm sure he will enjoy your feedback.

I will march my self over to his office after work.....
;D

Back