• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians no longer remember

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
National Post article

http://server09.densan.ca/archivenews/051111/npt/051111cv.htm

Canadians no longer remember

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'If ye break faith with us who die, we will not sleep, though poppies grow in Flander's fields."

- - -

Ninety years after John McCrae penned the haunting words of In Flanders Field as the carnage and horror of the Battle of Ypres raged around him, a new survey released today by the Dominion Institute suggests Canadians are "breaking faith" with our country's war dead.

Our nation-wide poll indicates that the number of Canadians planning to attend a Remembrance Day ceremony has declined for the third year in a row. Barely 50% of Canadians will take part in events honouring our 117,000 war dead despite this being the Year of the Veteran and the nation having just marked, with much fanfare, the 60th anniversaries of D-Day and VE-Day.

For those who would argue that these numbers indicate the glass is half full, consider the poll's finding that almost a third of our citizens indicated they would not attend a Remembrance Day event because it wasn't "personally important to them" or because they were not interested in the past or feel that Nov. 11 "just glorifies war."

Canada is succumbing to a culture of forgetfulness: a pernicious narcissism where our individual wants and desires to trump any sense of responsibility for who we are as a country and what we've accomplished together.

Who is to blame for the erosion of our sense of duty -- and, more importantly, what can we do to keep faith with John McCrae and our war dead? The lion's share of the responsibility rests with provincial ministries of education and the now decades-long decline of the teaching of Canadian history in high schools.

Incredible though it may seem, in five provinces -- Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island -- students can graduate from high school without taking a single course with a 20th Century Canadian history component. And in provinces where some Canadian history is required for graduation, most curriculums give short shrift to Canada's military heritage in favour of a social studies smorgasbord of civics, geography and "world studies."

Meanwhile, studies show that upwards of half of history teachers do not have a university degree in the Arts, let alone history. The perception among school administrators is that anyone can teach Canadian history.

The impact of fewer and fewer dedicated Canadian history courses, and lower and lower professional standards, is seen in surveys of high school graduates revealing that only one in three can associate "D-Day" with the invasion of Normandy or knows that Vimy Ridge was a great First World War victory.

Parallel to the devaluing of our military heritage in schools has been the shedding of civic observances of Remembrance in our communities.

In the aftermath of the Great War, with one in 10 Canadians who fought in the mud and trenches of Flanders Fields never having returned, ours was a nation traumatized by its staggering losses. Nov. 11 was both a day of national mourning and a powerful reminder of a collective responsibility to build a better society to give meaning to Canada's immense sacrifice. After the 50 million dead in the Second World War, this dual significance of Remembrance took on added urgency.

To ensure that our war dead rest in the peaceful slumber that they so rightly deserve, we urgently need to renew our commitment to the values of Remembrance in our schools and society at large.

Let's make the study of 20th century Canadian history mandatory for graduation in all provinces -- something 80% of respondents to our poll supported. And let's restore Remembrance Day to its proper place as a national statutory holiday, easily achievable through a simple Act of Parliament that would be a fitting tribute to the service of the final five living veterans of the Great War.

To fail in these tasks is to lose the true meaning of Remembrance Day: the opportunity it gives us each year to keep promise with our country's past and ponder the awesome responsibilities of citizenship.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but in my part of the country (Edmonton, Alberta) it seems each Remembrance Day ceremony is attended by more and more spectator's.

Let's make the study of 20th century Canadian history mandatory for graduation in all provinces -- something 80% of respondents to our poll supported. And let's restore Remembrance Day to its proper place as a national statutory holiday, easily achievable through a simple Act of Parliament that would be a fitting tribute to the service of the final five living veterans of the Great War.

I'm not against teaching modern Canadian history but will it's focus be on Canada's accomplishments or our error's (internment, etc)?   I'm not sure if I want Remembrance Day as a statutory holiday.   I don't view it as a holiday and I cringe when news media refer to it as the Remembrance Day long weekend.   Those who wish to remember and take part will do so whether it is a mandatory holiday or not.   The remainder will sleep in.

I think it is wrong people do not know what REMEMBRANCE DAY is for. I think for once we should be more like the Americans and make a big deal out of the day, after all those we are suppose to remember made the biggest deal, for little pay, little chance of coming home, but a huge adventure. I remember relatives who I never met who were left behind in Europe, I remember friends who came home to be buried in recent  years. I remember the men and women who I did not know of who do not grow old any longer. I also remember those who did come home to be heros.

Canadian schools do need to teach the Canadian facts,  less then 10 WW 1 vets left,  getting to be less and less WW 2 vet everyday. I think it is high time we teach our history and honour our history.

Gunner said:
Maybe I'm an optimist, but in my part of the country (Edmonton, Alberta) it seems each Remembrance Day ceremony is attended by more and more spectator's.
I spent the day yesterday at an elemntary school here in Edmonton. I was truly impressed by the knowlegde those children had of our soldier's sacrifices, and the interest they had my service. What impressed me the most was the fact that not all of their questions were "Have you ever shot anybody?" As well, the buses here have their destination interspersed with "Lest We Forget" flashing on the front. The number of businesses who have removed their advertising from their rent-a-signs, to put "Lest We Forget" on them, has impressed me as well.
Edmonton Remembers.

I agree that I think people are paying more attention, I joined this site on November 11, 2002 just to refute someone who was trying to say that "Canadians don't care, nobody attends anymore, etc" and I logged in just to make one post and then leave [ so much for that] stating that the attendence in Guelph was going up every year.
Todays ceremony here was breath-taking for me personally between the attendence and the "suprise" I got during it. I will post that tomorrow.

There was literally standing room only at our small Remembrance Day ceremony in my hometown today.  It was great to see so many out.  This ceremony has also been increasing in the last few years. 

I think people have too much freedom, they just don't care about those who fought for it.  If people forget about the sacrifices our brave men and women made, I don't think they deserve freedom.  Ignorance is bliss, but it shouldn't be.

Gunner said:

I'm not against teaching modern Canadian history but will it's focus be on Canada's accomplishments or our error's (internment, etc)?  I'm not sure if I want Remembrance Day as a statutory holiday.  I don't view it as a holiday and I cringe when news media refer to it as the Remembrance Day long weekend.  Those who wish to remember and take part will do so whether it is a mandatory holiday or not.  The remainder will sleep in.

Calgary had a great turnout too.  I cringe when people say we are "celebrating" RD.  We're not, we're observing, or commemorating.

i dont know maybe its a regional thing out here in the Esquimalt area [Langford ] to be precise  the Rememberance Day parade is growing allso. They have lately gotten a new monument  that was quarried frim the same F.Y.R. quarry that supplied Vimy Ridge theirs. ON the HMCS Ottawa we held our ceremony here in Esenada Mexico and while im not in the army anymore im still in the CF . It was a small ceremony but the Mexican army/ navy local protection asked about it .  All i can do is bring up the old quote "those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it."  :cdn:

Strange. Today when I looked outside I saw a group of teenagers stomping on their poppies, I hope they get hit by transport trucks.

In the light of things said:
Strange. Today when I looked outside I saw a group of teenagers stomping on their poppies, I hope they get hit by transport trucks.

In the light of things...you are trolling.

It's just an observation.  Take it as you will, just proves to me the disinterest of Canada's youth.

Doesn't prove anything.  There were lots of young people at today's service in my home town.  I've also had the opportunity to speak to large groups of young Canadians and each year they ask interesting and pointed questions about Canada and our foreign policy.   

For the third year in a row, my daughter's school sent a delegation to base for our Remembrance Day ceremony. This year they sent students from three different classes, and there were also students form several other schools in attendence.

As long as we work together to encourage participation by the greater community, then I think we will be able to fight the trend and keep connected with the rest of Canada. This dosn't stop with Remembrance Day; get people ouit to your Regimental Museums, if you hold local parades ensure you get the word out, do community work in uniform...in other words, get off your duffs, get out of the bases and armouries and take the initiative.

Doesn't prove anything.  There were lots of young people at today's service in my home town.  I've also had the opportunity to speak to large groups of young Canadians and each year they ask interesting and pointed questions about Canada and our foreign policy.

Not one thing, but I've seen too many things like this.  Including one I'd rather not talk about.

I have to agree with those who have noted the increasing interest of Canadians. This year Armour Heights Public School formed part of our service here at the College, with young students doing readings. My experiences as a guest speaker at schools in Ontario, Alberta and Manitoba in the past few years suggests to me that our kids DO learn about Remembrance Day and take it seriouslty. In my opinion we are much more respectful and involved as a nation today than we were twenty or thirty years ago.

Cheers.

I noticed Armour heights mentioned here and would like to add that the collegiate (PCI) also let classes out for the parade, all teenagers, who stood quiet with the Veterans and at the end there were school; kids giving each Vet a card. The parade ground was packed, so I think this is another survey that lacks credibility. To many teens are being tarnished by" the few."

I think your on the money with that assesment,but I hope that our teenagers actually do realize the importance of Nov 11th and don't just use it as a day to "get out of class".
As far as the youth of today goes, just want to say hats off to all of our Cadets out there, as they are the ones, who stand happily as a symbol of hope for the future, with out being paid and out of pride alone!

Back