• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian War Toilet

Sig_Des said:
Yup. You know you're trainin for a desert war when you have to break the ice off the toilet seat. ;D

I've Said it before.... There's no Irony like Army Irony....  ;D

I liked it when they told us to think of the snow as really cold white Sand.....

oh the fun we had....  ::)

Tommy said:
at least in the -40c there was no smell.... or feeling in your butt after siting there for a few minutes!

At -50, Styrofoam is your friend. During a mining job we used gas fired burner toliets, they were pretty good plus the pilot light kept the seat somewhat warm!!  :)

Colin P said:
At -50, Styrofoam is your friend. During a mining job we used gas fired burner toliets, they were pretty good plus the pilot light kept the seat somewhat warm!!  :)

If there was any styrefoam to be had, those in the know kept it to themselves! lol

"gas fired burner toliets"... i hate to ask... infact its an odd question... but do you have a pic? lol. I have never heard of this let alone seen one.

Ahhhh.... those days long ago when the forest was your friend and away you went with your entrenching tool & a roll of TP.  The Grunt pole..... and the "fould ground" signs left behind to mark our passage..... Oh the memories :P

Traveller said:
"gas fired burner toliets"... i hate to ask... infact its an odd question... but do you have a pic? lol. I have never heard of this let alone seen one.

It looks like a toilet mated with a stove, haven't used one since the 80's. They weren't allowed to dig an outhouse and to cold for anything else. The pilot light kept the seat warm which was a good thing, the cook had to flash them up every day as the holding tank was small, needless to say you could always tell when you were downwind of the camp and the cook was burning the poop!!!

so you are telling me that the cook had two jobs.... There seems to be a hygene conflict here..lol. I dont mean any disrespect but... i think that would qualify for irony yet again.

Mining camps back then were run in a very economical way. In fact one of the cooks in that camp fended off a bear that came into the cookshack with a can of Raid!!!!

Traveller said:
so you are telling me that the cook had two jobs.... There seems to be a hygene conflict here..lol. I dont mean any disrespect but... i think that would qualify for irony yet again.

Depeding on your outlook, that could all fall under the one job.

DirtyDog said:
I'll take a blue rocket in -40C over +40C any day.

After having to use a "Thunder Box" next to the biggest rock I could find as a wind break on the north end of Baffin Island in December..................So would I.  ;D

Oh George.... I soooo know where you are coming from.
Having a dump in the middle of an arctic winter is an experience NOT for the weak of heart ... or butt ... or bladder.

I am sure in arctic conditions terms like 'Speed <insert verb here>ing' are more common to use. lol. I only once have had to do my business in -45 (before windchill) and i certainly can appreciate the need for speed.

I'll take extended periods at the boiling point of urine over -10° temperatures any time.

Can say the quickest dump I ever had was a SOVOP In Churchill Manitoba '98 at -40 on the ol' 'coll aspable' seat. Down windpants-dump-wipe-up windpants...1 2..3...1!

Back