• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian "Support Our Troops" Ribbons, Bracelets, Pins, etc

Love to find something like this.
Front licence plate for a car I chopped up.
Not a professional job, by any means. Someone more technically gifted could improve as I am not copyrighting it.  ;D

Mr. Don Cherry  once again told the world about the "support the troops" ballcaps. Even had the web site up on the screen for all to see. He said ten thousand were ordered since the last hockey game. Yaaaaaaa Hoooooo Mr. Cherry.

Frankie said:
Love to find something like this.
Front licence plate for a car I chopped up.

Nice but you need your actual licence plate at the front, at least in ON.

I actually bought mine at the canex because one of the ladies put the hats on hold for me.

They were sold out yesterday in Edmonton!!!!!

Kat Stevens said:
Errrr, why?  Friday is an ancient Saxon word....remember, the original English speakers?  Where our language came from... C'mon, you remember... England!  That's why it's called "English", not " American" (yet).

It's not Saxon.  It's Norse.  Friday is named for the Norse Goddess "Freya" who was Odin's wife and the Goddess of Fertility. 

That naming convention as well as the other days started with Latin names for Latin Gods and eventually were converted to local language and local God's.

Examples:
Venus's Day became Freya's Day became Friday.
Jupiter's Day became Thor's Day became Thursday.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Matthew.  :salute:

P.S.  Does anyone know where I can get the red hat Cherry had on the other night?

They ordered 500 more so who knows. They said hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I bought a T shirt t

Cdn Blackshirt said:
It's not Saxon.  It's Norse.  Friday is named for the Norse Goddess "Freya" who was Odin's wife and the Goddess of Fertility. 

That naming convention as well as the other days started with Latin names for Latin Gods and eventually were converted to local language and local God's.

Examples:
Venus's Day became Freya's Day became Friday.
Jupiter's Day became Thor's Day became Thursday.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Matthew.  :salute:

P.S.  Does anyone know where I can get the red hat Cherry had on the other night?

Wow, 8 months of research for that little nugget? That's tenacity my friend.  Incidentally, Saxons, Angles, Norse et al, were all Germanic tribal societies, having common linguistic and religious roots. Odin is to Norse as Woden is to Saxon, etc, but thanks for the lesson.

Anglo Saxon                         Old German                       Norse equivalent
Wóden also known as Grim Wuotan                         Óðinn
Þunor                                     Donar                             Þórr
Tíw                                       Zîu                                 Týr
Seaxnéat                           Saxnôte                           none
Géat                                       Gausus                             Gautr
*Fríge                                      Frîja                               Frigg
Éostre                                Ostara                             none
Ing                                       none                               Yngvi-Freyr
none                                     Balder                             Baldr

found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxon_paganism

If you want to wear something to show that you support our troops oversea's, my son gave me one of his "boot straps" to wear on my wrist. I have to wear it until he returns from Afghanistan.

In reply to Frankie's earlier post, here are two very similar versions of his proposed car plate design. In fact the design was not changed a bit - only one of them has a blurry CADPAT background which I thought created more of a contrast with the ribbon. As for me, I think I'll stick my home-made T-shirt which I have been proudly displaying the design everywhere in Ottawa/Gatineau for a few months now. Thanks to poor quality of the public transportation services in the Ottawa region for having me stand everyday for 30 mins waiting for my bus. That has likely doubled the number of persons that would otherwise have noticed my advertisement.  8)

Thanks mcchartman, now for the next step.
What provinces can have decorative front plates?
NS is good.

In Quebec it's not an issue either... that's why most auto dealers put their own logo on the front plate and make sure that they are bolted such that you won't be able to remove them using common tools - that's without even considering the sticker they usually put at the back of your car (sorry, I know this comment was totally unrelated but I had to make it). Anyways, the whole point is, in Quebec you are allowed to have whatever you want as a front plate.

If someone knows where to get the yellow or camo ribbon.  As an ex-serviceman living in the Greater Toronto Area I've seen the yellow and camo ribbons around Toronto quite a bit.  Just don't know where to get them.  The comment about not knowing what the ribbbon is for in the Toronto area isn't warranted.  True we have a diverse culture but you'd be amazed at how many people support the troops.  We need to publicize how to get the ribbons. 

This shouldn't be a bloody mystery on how to get it.

Cheers

sabot60 said:
If someone knows where to get the yellow or camo ribbon.  As an ex-serviceman living in the Greater Toronto Area I've seen the yellow and camo ribbons around Toronto quite a bit.  Just don't know where to get them.  The comment about not knowing what the ribbbon is for in the Toronto area isn't warranted.  True we have a diverse culture but you'd be amazed at how many people support the troops.  We need to publicize how to get the ribbons. 

This shouldn't be a bloody mystery on how to get it.

Cheers
sabot60, any Canex or MFRC should have them in stock.  Trenton, Kingston, and Borden are close to you.  So, if you're ever in the area, drop in.  The Canex also has loads of "Roots" shorts and t-shirts with supportive logos on them. Anyone, isn't there a Canex in TO? sabot60, If you're unable to get to a base, PM someone and hve them send you something.
Cheers, out.  GP

I found these shirts for the "home gaurd"

I think I am going to buy one for one of my co-workers whos husband is over there now. LOL
http://www.cafepress.com/lovethetroops/1283913

You can order the yellow car magnet off of the MFRC various websites. I purchased my Cadpat car ribbon at the Canex in Edmonton.

Link for Yellow Ribbon:

http://www.mfrcedmonton.com/Yellow%20Ribbon%20Campaign.htm

some one here able to tell me where i COULD PURCHASE ONE OF THOSE STICKERS? guy at work was asking me for the company truck , i have seen them on the cars and stuff but where do you buy them?

Are you speaking of the Magnets that are on the vehicles??

If so, have a read of the last couple of entries. I posted a link to PURCHASE the yellow magnet for the car.  ::)

Back