• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian soldiers to go even higher-tech

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Canadian soldiers to go even higher-tech
System connects GPS, goggles to commanders
Apr 12, 2008 04:30 AM Murray Brewster the Canadian Press
Article Link

OTTAWA–Canadian troops fighting in Afghanistan's hinterland could soon resemble the cyber-soldiers of the wildly successful Halo video game and novel series.

National Defence has set aside as much as $310 million for an integrated soldier system. Companies hoping to cash in had their wares on display this week at a defence industry trade show.

High-tech systems now coming on the market connect existing pieces of equipment, such as radios, digital maps, night-vision goggles and range-finding binoculars, into one system.

Controlled by a palm-sized computer and linked to a global positioning system (GPS), the network ties individual soldiers to one another and to field commanders kilometres away, who can monitor the whereabouts – even the health – of their people.

"This is a totally integrated system," said Luc Bentolila, a vice-president of Europe-based EADS defence and security. "It helps a soldier accomplish a mission."

EADS's Warrior 21 system is used by German soldiers in Kosovo and the Congo. Spain and Switzerland have orders pending with EADS.
More on link

GAP said:
Canadian troops fighting in Afghanistan's hinterland could soon ...
Use of the word "soon" is misleading here.

The computers themselves probably shouldn't weight much at all. New computer components rarely weigh more than older ones (infact, they weigh less because of computers working better when they are smaller than bigger).

They mention something about monitoring the soldiers weight, and those goggles. That's probably where the added weight comes from.

I'm pretty certain the Army knows the more weight their soldiers have to carry the less effective they will be (neglecting the point that carrying better equipment contradicts this, but I digress) therefore, have faith that they won't be increasing the weight unless it's more useful with than without.

We are the Borg....Resistance is Futile.....joking.

Just remember that all that stuff is delicate electronic equipement that needs hardening etc prior to it going to the soldier. It has to be simple to operate, easy to maintian, rugged and durable.

Aro2220 said:
The computers themselves probably shouldn't weight much at all. New computer components rarely weigh more than older ones (infact, they weigh less because of computers working better when they are smaller than bigger).

They mention something about monitoring the soldiers weight, and those goggles. That's probably where the added weight comes from.

I'm pretty certain the Army knows the more weight their soldiers have to carry the less effective they will be (neglecting the point that carrying better equipment contradicts this, but I digress) therefore, have faith that they won't be increasing the weight unless it's more useful with than without.

???

I don't think you understand the situation being put forward at all.

I recently dug up an old Popular Mechanics magazine that had an article about a hypothetical future soldier concept. You may have seen it before - it was the article with the black, skin-tight get up with a motorcycle helmet and a wrist 'weapons pod'. It was supposed to have a chameleon (sp?) membrane that could change the colour of the fabric to match the environment, amongst other bells and whistles.

ho_soldier_21st2_010621_ss.jpg

Anyway, the soldier's electronics were supposed to be powered by a small, FMP-sized 'fuel cell' that was apparently supposed to last for 6 days and was easily replaced in the field. How are systems like LandWarrior / FELIN powered? i know that batteries make up a significant portion of the weight of the average soldier, especially when we bring all the accessories.

edited to add image

0441783589.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Our suits give us better eyes, better ears, stronger backs (to carry heavier weapons and more ammo), better legs, more intelligence (in the military meaning...), more firepower, greater endurance, less vulnerability.
A suit isn't a space suit - although it can serve as one. it is not primarily armor - although the Knights of the Round Table were not armored as well as we are. It isn't a tank - but a single M.I. [Mobile Infantry] private could take on a squadron of those things and knock them off unassisted...

...Suited up, you look like a big steel gorilla, armed with gorilla-sized weapons.

The real genius in the design is that you don't have to control the suit; you just wear it, like your clothes, like skin.

The secret lies in negative feedback and amplification...

Its the very first Mushroom Cloud Laying Motherf...er, Motherf...er!!  >:D

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion [that violence never settles anything] is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms."

Jean V. Debois
Starship Troopers

Aro2220 said:
The computers themselves probably shouldn't weight much at all.

Adding 5 to 10 lbs to a 100+ lb load then shouldn't be a concern then?

The system weight has to be integrated to the point of being not being noticed at all.

Wishful thinking methinks.

Regards

Aro2220 said:
The computers themselves probably shouldn't weight much at all ...

Quite right, but as Old Solduer mentioned the very light computer has to be mounted in a fairly sturdy case in order to make it survivable and it has to be powered and batteries are damned heavy. The computers themselves shouldn't weigh much at all - its all the other stuff that burdens the soldier.

In response to the weight concerns, check out this month's Popular Science where they talk about strength enhancing Powered Armour, or Powered Exoskeletons. Interesting stuff.

http://www.popsci.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_armour 

You know what the best part of GPS and other computer related items are...... it is when people get used to them then you pass them a map and compass and say go.......

Computers are great but they have there place and in my humble opinion there place isn't on the person of a field troop at his point. Don't just think of the added wight but think of the logistics of carring more parts, ordering those parts , carring replacements.

There is one thing that combat soldiers are great at and that is braken kit like no one else, and I speak from experience both as a combat troop and as a Tech.

sigtech said:
You know what the best part of GPS and other computer related items are...... it is when people get used to them then you pass them a map and compass and say go.......
That's called entertainement!  ;D Provided it is in garrison of course and not on operation.

Back