• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian soldiers in downtown Calgary?

paraplegic_paratrooper

Inactive
Reaction score
I've seen several soldiers in Calgary's downtown +15s today, in each instance, I didn't see any displayed rank.

What's going on today?

I thought rank had to be displayed, except for particular field situations...  What's up?

On the new CADPAT uniforms the rank is in the centre of the chest; at a distance it can be difficult to make out.

dapaterson said:
On the new CADPAT uniforms the rank is in the centre of the chest; at a distance it can be difficult to make out.

That's for sure..  One woman and I passed each other, and I stared at the flash in the center of her chest, and couldn't see rank marking.

It was likely there.... I'm sure I was looking for the wrong thing.

Anyone know what's with all of the soldiers walking around?

Could very well be for the funeral/preparations for one of the latest to die in Afghanistan.

paraplegic_paratrooper said:
and I stared at the flash in the center of her chest, and couldn't see rank marking.

She could have been a no-hook Private

Which end of downtown ? Recruiting is in the Harry Hayes bldg (east), the Mewata  Armouries is next to the Science Centre (west). Pte Chad Horns Funeral will be taking place in the near future, they could be PPPCLI in town for that.

WrenchBender

my friend from the lorne scotts is there, doing something im not sure. he texted me yesterday saying that he talked to jerome iginla. he was on his flight and didnt notice until he was picking up his baggage. like there flight just got in last night so that would be my guess

paraplegic_paratrooper said:
Anyone know what's with all of the soldiers walking around?

I am sure its no reason to be alarmed.

Excuse me, but a new mbr who appears suddenly asking questions about uniformed troops in a group, now has me wanting to ask whats the interest?

OWDU

whitey said:
my friend from the lorne scotts is there, doing something im not sure. he texted me yesterday saying that he talked to jerome iginla. he was on his flight and didnt notice until he was picking up his baggage. like there flight just got in last night so that would be my guess
I am not parinoid but common sense prevails. Naming Units etc I don't think is the right thing to do right now.

In regards to troop movements period, I do not think they should be discussed on an open forum like this. If it was public knowledge on why large amounts of troops are present, their would be a media release.

My two cents.

As CJ intimated it is most likely a course that is used in the military but also in civilian life.  Seeing troops in Calgary after so many years would peak my curiosity as well but there is no harm or foul here.  Moving on.....

I almost had a job working there.  Could I been able to afford it I would probably be there now.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
As CJ intimated it is most likely a course that is used in the military but also in civilian life.  Seeing troops in Calgary after so many years would peak my curiosity as well but there is no harm or foul here.  Moving on.....
There are a few of us here. It's not that strange to see uniforms in the city.

WrenchBender

WrenchBender said:
There are a few of us here. It's not that strange to see uniforms in the city.

WrenchBender

Especially when we are doing our morning Ruck Marches in the areas of Mount Royal College, the Weaslehead, and the pathways downtown. 

Back