• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Para Smocks

Canashea

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to buy Canadian DPM Para Smocks?

They are sometimes called 'Pathfinder Smocks' in British Service, They can still be worn in Britain since Canada is a British Commonwealth Nation, They are very nearly identical but with more features such as back pocket, 'Lift The Dot' Press Studs, Made from windproof SAS Smock Material and dont have knitted cuffs

ebay, or you can try your local surplus store. they have been quite popular lately on ebay so you can try there. but believe me there tough to find in normal size! ;)

Sgt Bilko Surplus, now Army Outfitters on Avenue Road in Toronto, had a couple in July. I haven't checked to see if the new web site isfully-functional yet.

Loachman said:
Sgt Bilko Surplus, now Army Outfitters on Avenue Road in Toronto, had a couple in July. I haven't checked to see if the new web site is fully-functional yet.

You beat me to it

Bilko/army outfitters had a whack of them a few months ago if i recall.

New store is much smaller.. but everything is just in the basement now.

Beware of the dog... it's very friendly...

There is a surplus store in Montreal, corner of Ontario and St-Laurent, who has quite a few.  Largest chest is size 3(short large), tallest being size 4(regular small).  All nice a crispy new.

Since you appear to be in the UK, your best bet is eBay.

They are sometimes called 'Pathfinder Smocks' in British Service, They can still be worn in Britain since Canada is a British Commonwealth Nation, They are very nearly identical but with more features such as back pocket, 'Lift The Dot' Press Studs, Made from windproof SAS Smock Material and dont have knitted cuffs

If your talking the Canadian para smock, they not the same at all.  First of they of a canadian pattern so the pockets and look are not the same at all.  Do a web site and compare.  The DPM pattern and colours are not the same, so again do a search and see for yourself.  I higfhly doubt they can be used in British service, but seeing as I'm in the UK... if you have real proof of this then I will belive you.  If not then your post is just BS.

here are the two smocks.. and as you can see they not the same at all.

The above pics are from my personal web-site.  Radiohead is absolutely correct.  The layout of the Canadian "Smock, Parachutist's" is fundamentally different from its British counterpart.  Moreover, although the DPM pattern is the same, the application of colours within the pattern is very different.  Look at the left elbow of the British smock and the right elbow of the Canadian smock.  Cue off of the identical black shape and you will note that in the Canadian version of DPM the Tan and Green have been reversed to give the overall pattern a much higher percentage of earth tones (eg.  Tan and Brown).

I am highly skeptical regarding the claim that a serving British soldier would be permitted to wear the Canadian para smock....   ::)

FWIW,

Mark, sorry to use pictures from your website, but it was in fav list and easy to go too.

Mark C said:
The above pics are from my personal web-site.  Radiohead is absolutely correct.  The layout of the Canadian "Smock, Parachutist's" is fundamentally different from its British counterpart.  Moreover, although the DPM pattern is the same, the application of colours within the pattern is very different.  Look at the left elbow of the British smock and the right elbow of the Canadian smock.  Cue off of the identical black shape and you will note that in the Canadian version of DPM the Tan and Green have been reversed to give the overall pattern a much higher percentage of earth tones (eg.  Tan and Brown).

I am highly skeptical regarding the claim that a serving British soldier would be permitted to wear the Canadian para smock....   ::)

FWIW,

I can guarantee that a serving British Soldier would not be permitted to wear it.

Radiohead,

No worries about linking to my site.  It hasn't been updated for ages, and as a result public interest has dropped off.  Bandwidth use is not an issue these days. 

Hopefully I'll get around to updating the site later this fall, or during Xmas lve at the latest.  I have approximately 50 new camo patterns to add that I've acquired since the last update.

Cheers,

Mark, can you throw up the link to it again?? It might be a good resource for some of the younger troops in here that are interested in that stuff.

Just a question:
having watched a few documentaries showing athe airborne RGT, do they were wearing the smock in operational conditions

Black Watch said:
Just a question:
do they were wearing the smock in operational conditions

no, from what i read and have heard, the smock was strictly a garrison dress item. but only worn on ceremonial jumps and occasions.

I seem to remember seeing them all over the place on RV 81, but I may be mistaken.

radiohead said:
If your talking the Canadian para smock, they not the same at all.  First of they of a canadian pattern so the pockets and look are not the same at all.  Do a web site and compare.  The DPM pattern and colours are not the same, so again do a search and see for yourself.  I higfhly doubt they can be used in British service, but seeing as I'm in the UK... if you have real proof of this then I will belive you.  If not then your post is just BS.
One other thing, the material he noted that the Jump Smocks were made from was wrong. The 'SAS Smock' (UK Windproof Smock) are made from thick gaberdine faric, while the Jump Smocks were made from a Cordura like material.
Aside from that, why would a British Para wear a Canadian smock? The British smocks are so much better construction IMO.

There is a section of Rui Amaral's book "Eat your weakest Man" about the smock I think.  If not then there is a whole small book just on the smock.  The pattern and material are actually an over-run from the contract for the Tanzanian Army in the late 1960's. Hence the rather unique pattern.

Hey Guys!  I'm trying to locate the manufacturer of jump smock used by the CAR (and later SSF).
I have one of the last produced ones (1987), which identifies the manufacturer as "Ambridge & Thompson Inc.".
I'm interested in getting my hands on any leftover material/fabric.

And no, I'm not thinking of reclothing the CSOR...  ;-)

Cheers, P

Back