• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian (Junior) Rangers: Not JUST in remote First Nations anymore!

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Wondering if they'll be training with local Reserve units, not to mention what other cities might see such offices open up - shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

WINNIPEG teenagers are the first urban kids in Canada who are allowed to sign up as army Rangers, a unit typically run in the Arctic, the Canadian Forces announced Friday.

The First Urban Junior Canadian Ranger Patrol opened an office this week at the Indian and Métis Friendship Centre on Robinson Street in the North End. Nineteen had signed up by the first night, on Thursday.

"Previously, the Junior Canadian Ranger patrols were only in sparsely settled northern, coastal and isolated areas of Canada where there is already a Canadian Ranger patrol. The program is being expanded on a trial basis, so that youth in urban areas can also benefit," the announcement said.

Ranger patrols are a visible sign of sovereignty and have a long history in Arctic Inuit communities, using traditional skills and survival techniques to live off the land, learn how to speak in public and live a healthy lifestyle.

Critics concerned with Winnipeg's soaring rates of youth crime, gang violence and drugs recently renewed calls for more social programs to keep youth off the streets.
Winnipeg Free Press, 24 Sept 11

- edited to fix title -

JCRs are part of the larger Cadet movement, not part of the Reserves.

But why let the facts get in the way of the story?

dapaterson said:
JCRs are part of the larger Cadet movement, not part of the Reserves.

But why let the facts get in the way of the story?
Good catch.  Given this, still wonder who's going to deliver the training?

More here in the announcement:
The Junior Canadian Rangers opened their first urban patrol in Canada at the Indian and Métis Friendship Centre of Winnipeg on September 22, 2011.

Previously, Junior Canadian Ranger patrols were only in sparsely settled northern, coastal, and isolated areas of Canada, where there was already a Canadian Ranger patrol. The program is being expanded, on a trial basis, so that youth in urban areas can also benefit.

“I feel that the opening of the first JCR Patrol in Winnipeg was a great success,” said Lieutenant Colonel Tim Byers, Commanding Officer of the 4th Canadian Ranger Patrol Group. “We have wonderful community support, a large adult committee has signed up to help guide the patrol and we have 19 new Junior Canadian Rangers who are eager to train. I am confident that we have all the right pieces in place to be very successful as we move forward in Winnipeg.”

The Junior Canadian Rangers program is community sponsored in partnership with the Department of National Defence and other federal, provincial, and regional organizations. This means that youth can participate in the program for free.

JCRs are proud and skilled youth – ages 12 to 18 – who are involved in their communities. The JCR program is a structured and meaningful organization that helps preserve culture and traditions unique to each community while learning outdoor skills.

The Winnipeg JCR patrol parades once a week at the Ndinawe Youth Resource Centre. The JCRs also have the option of attending supervised field exercises throughout the year and attending a week-long summer camp. Some JCRs from the Winnipeg patrol have already attended summer camp and learned new skills ....

- edited to add:  Since this is more a Cadet-esque issue, that's where it's going -

The JCR Programs is not part of the cadet program at all. 2 entirely different creatures. Completely different mandates, administrators, and focus.

I just finished assisting with a JCR program which was housed AT a cadet camp, and it was a wonderful opportunity to find out more about the JCRs (and compare them to the Cadet program). I now hope that a jcr branch will open in my small rural area.

I was very impressed.

I got to work writing and researching content once for the JCRs. I spent most of the day going 'wow', 'cool', 'they did this', 'what a neat program'. I was much impressed!

Likely some of the staff will be from the local area - there are Ranger Group HQ's often near or on large Bases - there is one in Victoria for instance and another in Borden.  Myabe they're going to form a group HQ in the Peg?

MM

Mikhail said:
The JCR Programs is not part of the cadet program at all. 2 entirely different creatures. Completely different mandates, administrators, and focus.

I just finished assisting with a JCR program which was housed AT a cadet camp, and it was a wonderful opportunity to find out more about the JCRs (and compare them to the Cadet program). I now hope that a jcr branch will open in my small rural area.

I was very impressed.

It's a very good program. Although it is not suppose to exist in areas with a Cadet unit running; in the next few years were going to see many rural army navy army cadets shut down and move into this direction.

Free clothing, go to camp and ride ATV's shoot guns instead wearing a dress uniform parading etc. Same opportunity to go to summer camp... No boot's to polish, uniform to iron, hair to cut and all the perks of cadets.

Back