• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

jcph90 said:
i will find it really depressing if I'm smart enough for infantry. even though i know i could be a weapons.( by the way I'm a locksmith and a quick learner and i know just about all i can about firearms with out actually ever firing one.)  

It's not about being "smart enough", it's about what you have an aptitude for (or not). The "A" stands for Aptitude. If you don't qualify, you can always re-write. Sometimes, test takers have an off day, so you have to account for that as well.

jcph90 said:
guys, im just as confused as you are, and yes me hearing is more than ok. if any of u can do anything ill give u my service number,and i will let u know how this turns out

Jcph90, the person who can do something for you is yourself. Why wait a couple of days to call them? Rest assured, you're not bothering them. Processing applications like yours is what they do at Recruiting Centers. Simply call or show up and ask whether or not you qualified for your trades. They will have your file on the computer with the results of your CFAT right there in front of them, so it's not that much to ask. ;)

ok, guys it's me again he forgot to tell me that i qualified for my trades(thank god ;D). i called this morning and now i have to wait for my criminal record check. thank you every one for you support on the matter. specially BC Old Guy, Celticgirl and  kincanuck.

jcph90 said:
ok, guys it's me again he forgot to tell me that i qualified for my trades(thank god ;D). i called this morning and now i have to wait for my criminal record check. thank you every one for you support on the matter. specially BC Old Guy, Celticgirl and  kincanuck.

That beats sitting around wondering, doesn't it? ;)  Congrats to you on qualifying for your trades!

I'm applying for the position of MP (PRes). I was wondering if this trade was one that required a generally high score, like something that required at least 80%+ in all categories of the test? I'm currently in my senior year, I'm focusing on problem solving mostly because spatial is not really something you can study for and as for the verbal part, the only way I could ace that category was if I went through the entire English dictionary a few times.

And the General competency exam on the jobs.ca website was brutal, i scored 30 out of 45 some of the number sequences were incredibly confusing. But that exam permitted a calculator so I assume the CFAT is easier since only paper and pen are permitted (if anyone knows which exam im talking about).

Thanks,

Practice the CFAT on this:

http://www.cfsuo.forces.gc.ca/adm/pdp-pps/doc/cfat-tafc-eng.pdf

A paper one can be picked up at the CFRC if need be.

Show up well rested, and avoid coffee/caffeine the day of. Try and keep your brain straight and ready to work hard for a good long period of time.

Don't worry about your score. Just work hard, and get the best one possible.

Good luck,

Nites

Oh dear me.  Do yourself a favour and stop over-thinking everything.  You have no idea how many people get fired for this-or-that reason.  It is really not a big deal.  Whatever you do though, be completely honest in the interview and take any responsibility you might have had for the "incident".  Don't make excuses or try to deny any screw-up on your part because they will see right through that. The interviewer is not looking for someone who is perfect, because then they'd never find anyone.  They want someone who can take responsibility for their actions, learn from their mistakes, and improve on their shortcomings.  If they even bother to ask about specifics about the termination, which they may or may not, tell them exactly how you screwed up, what you learned from it, and how you will work on not making similar mistakes in the future.  Don't place the blame elsewhere or try to downplay it.  That's lame.

Anyways, good luck on the test/interview, keep a clear head (don't overthink) and just do your best! 

Most of the math questions are problem solving. There's no specified equation to solve as you need to interpret it yourself.

Example: Alice has 10 apples, Bob has apples as well. Bob then gave 5 apples to Carl. Together Alice and Bob now have 30 apples. How many apples did Bob have originally?

As you can imagine, not all questions are simple addition/subtraction and not all values given will be in whole numbers. This is why you should review fractions, decimals, etc. Almost all the questions are from hypothetical situations, so focus on "real life" application problems. Ask your math teacher to point you to some textbook questions if you still don't know how to prepare for it.

eta: hopefully this doesn't count as revealing too much

I provided a link to the example CFAT the DND provides for practice.  USE IT. Practice THOSE SKILLS.

There is a preparatory questionnaire the DND provides for the interview. USE IT. Mine was handed to me at the CFRC, but prior to the interview. Some surfing of their website would likely produce a PDF.

Again. Stop over thinking everything. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. Most of these questions have already been asked.

Nites

It probably wouldn't have hurt to ask whether you passed the cutoff for your trade.  After I completed my CFAT, I simply asked the recruiter how I did, and she showed me my score for each section. 

Keep in mind that if you have yet to complete everything else (ie. medical/interview/pt test), then you wouldn't be offered whatever choice you wanted, you would have simply been informed whether or not you passed the CFAT cutoff for the trade you were hoping for.

scouthern said:
, will I have to continuously keep finding references after every stage?

To put it simply, just do what they tell you to do at every stage. If thats not clear let me know, i will put it differently for you.

scouthern said:
The lack of clarification is throwing me off, since it was sort of  a calm and wait game before my CFAT and more of  a book your other tests and the get the hell out kind of mood at the end.

So what did you want ? A party in your honour ?

There are many more applicants to process after you so the quicker you get your bookings made, the quicker the staff can get to them, hence the "get the hell out" mood.

scouthern said:
No. I just wanted to know how it worked, if they only call you in if you don't get your first choice, or none of your choices. Right now I'm thinking my CFAT score qualified me for the Military Police trade.

When you have your interview, i'm sure they will tell you. If they don't you can always ask.

Why didnt you ask after you wrote the test in the first place ?

scouthern said:
But this usually means I qualified for my first trade correct? They wouldn't hold me in anticipation till the interview then drop the bomb on me.

We have recruiting types that post here and hopefully they will come Along and set you straight. What i will say though is a piece of advice you should remember : Do not make assumptions.

scouthern said:

So knowing what score was required for what trade would be of no use to you. Quit worrying about shit you cant control. Go for a run instead...or some pushups or something.

:brickwall:

Heres another bit of advice : Stop spending your time worrying about what other people are doing. Start worrying about what YOU are doing.

scouthern said:
stuff like, not being happy with your work ethic or not following policy?

You should be fine. We love shitty work ethics and not following policy. You will fit right in.

hi I took the CFAT and I failed Math badly. I want to take it again but I never got that sheet of paper with Practice Tests and I dont really need Vocabulary or Spatial because I did good on those. Other than the Kent Numeric Practice test what is a good link for Math? I know Math.com but thats all assorted math I am looking more for CFAT related stuff.

Also I lost the number they gave me for the recruiting center. If I call to setup a new day to write the test would my valid photo ID be good enough?

Back