• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

• Thread starter Thread starter Se7eN
  • Start date Start date
Derek Eves,

Take this advice to heart: The key to learning math is practice and repetition.

So spend a lot of time doing a lot of problems before going to write your test. I don't mean the night before either, I mean start doing some problems each night for one hour two or three weeks before your test. I mean it. If you do that, then you should not have any problem doing very well on the math section of your test. And you will be better with basic math overall.

I don't know about a waiver. I have read on this board of cases where someone failed the CFAT a number of times, and had to go through a process to be able to write the test again. Don't get yourself in that position, study up, and pass it this next time.

Pieman

I guess after the first time I should have studied alot more. I did study some but not enough to pass I guess. I'm going to do just that. I have found a few good sites for math. I'm going to also get a tutor.

The first time I did the test I was going on vacation the same day and I also was parked on a meter that was only two hour limit. Bad idea, also got a nice ticket that day for that one. Second time I was pretty anxious. I have called the recruiting center here in Edmonton to get my file transfered from Calgary. They said it was going to take a week.

Do you think its a good idea to set up a date in the next 3 to 4 weeks and study my butt off or what?
Anyways thx again!

Time To Go Do Some MATH!!!!!! :salute:

Do you think its a good idea to set up a date in the next 3 to 4 weeks and study my butt off or what?
Sounds like a good idea to me :) Study hard, it will pay off. If the test date starts to approach and you don't feel confident then call and delay it. But really, it is not that hard and you should be able to get the hang of it by that time.

Gramps said:
You will find a lot of hostility here for almost any question you ask. Some people think that everyone should know as much as they do (or in many cases as little as they really know) about the CF. There seem to be a few people that will give you a straight answer though, you just have to wade through the bulls**it to get to it.now,

And "some people" seem to think that common sense is a gift that only the elite posses, and is beyond the reach of the mortal man.

"what happens if I do bad on the test" is not a question that requires in-depth knowledge of the CF.  I guess maybe I'm a genius since I never needed to ask things like "what colour socks should I wear" or "what brand of toothpaste sould I bring to basic".  I somehow made do on my own.  I'd assume that since a grade 10 education is required to join, any succesfull candidate would also be aware of what happens when you do poorly on a test, but I guess not.

48Highlander said:
And "some people" seem to think that common sense is a gift that only the elite posses, and is beyond the reach of the mortal man.

"what happens if I do bad on the test" is not a question that requires in-depth knowledge of the CF.  I guess maybe I'm a genius since I never needed to ask things like "what colour socks should I wear" or "what brand of toothpaste sould I bring to basic".  I somehow made do on my own.  I'd assume that since a grade 10 education is required to join, any succesfull candidate would also be aware of what happens when you do poorly on a test, but I guess not.

I'm not even going to bother. You totally interpretated everything wrong. I never asked " what happens if i fail a test?"  If YOU had any Common sense, you would understand that i'm trying to ask "Does doing poorly on the arithmetic section affect your chances of being in the Infantry.

After reading that...I fear for the future of society.

ThatsLife said:
I'm not even going to bother. You totally interpretated everything wrong. I never asked " what happens if i fail a test?"   If YOU had any Common sense, you would understand that i'm trying to ask "Does doing poorly on the arithmetic section affect your chances of being in the Infantry.

After reading that...I fear for the future of society.

Your poor phrasing is my fault eh?  Good one.  I'd love to be there when you try to explain to your Section Commander that it's his fault you didn't shave.  Maybe you should work on your english in addition to math?

Picking out little mistakes when you have nothing better to do. I really hope you're not a soldier.

Island Ryhno said:
Not true exactly, you may have you selection of trades limited, but a poor showing on the math side will not automatically eliminate you. Oh and don't worry, this is the hardest part of the math;

Formal Integral Definition:
f(x) dx = lim (d -> 0)   (k=1..n) f(X(k)) (x(k) - x(k-1)) when...

a = x0 < x1 < x2 < ... < xn = b
d = max (x1-x0, x2-x1, ... , xn - x(n-1))
x(k-1) <= X(k) <= x(k)      k = 1, 2, ... , n
F '(x) dx = F(b) - F(a) (Fundamental Theorem for integrals of derivatives)   ;D

True true, my response WAS vague.

I bought a really great simple math book because I'm not the greatest at math and it helped me alot:

Everyday Math
by Pete Reinert
Published by Made E-Z Books

Got it at a Coles books store...It gives you short cuts and makes math alot easier....I would totally reccommend this for you....

That's something they never taught us on the over head in math class  ;D

Thanks for the replies guys, you've been a great help, even the guys that were acting like jerks (not mentioning any names *cough* 48Highlander *cough*)  are giving me a taste of my own medicine. Sorry about the problems before hand. I'll lighten up.

I'd like to apologize for whatever I did before to 48Highlander.

The only way you are going to get to write the CFAT again is if you significantly improve your educational level to demonstrate learning ability/potential such as obtain an university degree or college diploma that is applicable to the occupation you want to join.  For example: an applicable degree to an officer occupation or a college diploma that relates to a NCM occupation, an example of this would be an Electronics Technician diploma and apply for FCS Technician.

No other way, that is it and since you only want to go Infantry I would say that you are SOL.  Sorry.

gravyboat said:
I also have to work on my math. It's been 11 years since my apptitude testing and if I am going to have an OT denied to me I want my trade to do it not my math skills.

Would you be trying for AESOp by any chance ?  If so PM me, i'll give you the lowdown on the math required.

Gramps said:
You will find a lot of hostility here for almost any question you ask. Some people think that everyone should know as much as they do (or in many cases as little as they really know) about the CF. There seem to be a few people that will give you a straight answer though, you just have to wade through the bulls**it to get to it.

I disagree with you there. Questions that get asked over and over again will get less then a friendly response as will questions that expect others to do the research for them. There was an FAQ that one of our Mods went to great trouble to put together. Some of the questions asked is evident that these people have not taken the time to even read it. So yes people get testy. Deal with it.

ThatsLife said:
Picking out little mistakes when you have nothing better to do. I really hope you're not a soldier.

With your attitude i hope you never become one........and if you do i pary you never work for me!

Your YIM adress is funny.........you know the army isnt like counterstrike right  ::)

Why does having Counter_terrorist_dude007 as my screen automatically make me someone who thinks Counter-Strike is like the army? I would like to know where you gathered up your intel.

That screen name was made years ago when I did play counter-strike. You're doing the same thing as 48Highlander was. Except now, you're putting words in my mouth.

And that wraps up my point.

I've done nothing to you, nor did I do anything to 48Highlander from the beginning. Look for yourself. I really hope this isn't what they mean when they say the Canadian army is about 'team work' because you guys are doing a damn good job at 'teaming' up on me.

I suppose if my screenname was "Star_Wars_Dude007" you would say:

You know the army isn't like Star Wars, right?  ::)

I already apologized to 48Highlander in a message yesterday, whether he accepts it or not I know I acted like an idiot for saying "I really hope you're not a real soldier," but you have to see it from my point of view. You ask a question, and you have 238904 guys on you calling you stupid for asking a question.

Pieman said:
ThatsLife,

Practice a little with this test:
http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc/grt_test_e.htm

It is a good idea to do a search on this forum for 'practice tests' etc. CFAT math questions have been brought up numerous times, and lots of good advice was given. So take the time to locate it and read through.

Pieman

That's a great answer Pieman. My recruiter sent me a link to a practice test(maybe it was that one). Unfortunately I didn't receive it until the day after I took the test! I thought the link he sent me was from the CF recruiting site and I didn't save it. He's away somewhere now so when I get a chance to talk to him again I'll see if he still has it and post it on this board somewhere.

What I did do before my test was search the internet for 'aptitude test' and tried all kinds of them. I also got a few coworkers to take them too, just so I could compare my results. You might also try your local library, or ask at school to be given a few aptitude tests for practice.

Good luck ThatsLife.

Back