• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's Navy in the 1980s

Ex-Dragoon said:
I was told they were octuple but quad launchers make more sense, my point was you really can't compare ESSM with the original sea sparrow we bought for the Pre-Trump 280s.

Agreed.  I dug out some old photos that show the old quad launcher...these are probably from 1987.  The first three shots are of a RIM-7 launched from ATH, which was a successful telemetric kill on a drone.  The last photo was a slightly less successful missile shoot - there was a failure somewhere, and at the last moment the launcher appeared to lose power or hydraulics, drooped, and the Sea Sparrow never had a chance.  It left the rails aimed at the Atlantic Ocean, and I got one photo off before the missile hit the water a hundred yards or so from the ship and the splash soaked me and my 35mm camera.

And here's one for the OP - a Sovremenny-class destroyer (probably Bezuprechnyy) with an IRE (either HMCS Terra Nova or HMCS Gatineau) in the background.  They were shadowing us off the coast of Norway in 1988.

Cool thread guys.  Keep it coming.

Occam said:
And here's one for the OP - a Sovremenny-class destroyer (probably Bezuprechnyy) with an IRE (either HMCS Terra Nova or HMCS Gatineau) in the background.  They were shadowing us off the coast of Norway in 1988.

Wow, thanks! Very cool stuff and helpful. Pictures are great! And Neil I'm the proud owner of an autographed copy of The Admirals, and I agree that's it's a great booK!

Everyone had ugly glasses and cheesy moustaches.

Were skinny leather ties part of the uniform back then?  >:D

For the West Coast it was all about the Portland Rose Festival, bragging about Battle Group Charlie, and RIMPAC, in that order.

Russian ships, subs and planes aside, it was always interesting to be cruising along in the straights and watch a big US boomer heading out on patrol.  The US 688's were brand new, now they are being retired.

We used to go down to San Clemente for NGS drills, it was something to see both turrets let loose in a night time broadside [to be quickly followed by some antiquated piece in the 3"70 breaking and taking the gun off line.

We were still serving with Chiefs who were LS on the Bonaventure, and some of the Bonnie's spare parts were still in the kalamazoo for ordering.  We met officers who were Banshee pilots. The Tracker was still considered a platfrom.  I had a Chief who even served on a cruiser in the 50's.  They just couldnt let that old Navy go, and it seemed to really hold back the rest .... it seemed that the most visible policy initiative for the navy in the 1980 seemed to involve the DEU with the CPF just a minor sideshow.

IMO there was too much booze flowing in the Navy back then. I remember 2 pitchers for 5$ at the fleet club [which was also brand new].  Nelles Block was a cross between a slum and a ghetto. Fun times!!!

Edit to say: i agree the Gulf War changed things a lot. They became serious because they suddenly became front and centre in the news.

And oh yeah, the Sea King needed replacing .... 

Occam said:
The IRE would be GATINEAU as I have the same picture of the ship 'going the other way'! My wife is flying up to Ottawa for Easter and she had spent the winter scanning all my old Navy pics to disc. I will ask her to bring them with her and see if I can't get some on here. If I recall, my first trip was a FISHPAT and I have about 500 pics of nothing but iceburgs and dolphins-The novelty of seeing those two items in the North Atlantic soon wore thin!
Though I heard many stories about the Portland Rose Festival, I spent only one summer on the west coast ('83) sailing with YUKON. All I remember is being in Skagway Alaska and it never got dark! Hard to force yourself out of the tavern when it is still light...even if it was midnight!
As for the booze - Too true. Sometimes on the middle watch in the Engine Room, the only person awake was the lowly Ordinary Seaman doing Inside Rounds. Alongside, the rule was that POs were not permitted in the Engine Room/Boiler Room after lunch for obvious reasons!
I think not only the Gulf War but the advent of more sophisticated weapons systems as well as more complex operating systems all around changed the social climate. Also, you have to remember that in the 70s and 80s, let's face it, as disgusting as it sounds now, drinking and driving was a socially acceptable practise.

whiskey601 said:
They just couldnt let that old Navy go, and it seemed to really hold back the rest .... it seemed that the most visible policy initiative for the navy in the 1980 seemed to involve the DEU with the CPF just a minor sideshow.

Not quite: The introduction of women at sea (1981-1987)was also a biggie.

Pat in Halifax said:
Also, you have to remember that in the 70s and 80s, let's face it, as disgusting as it sounds now, drinking and driving was a socially acceptable practise.

Yep. Even driving ships. Knew an old captain who handled things better, even the ship, after you got a couple of scotch in him.

FiredForEffect said:
For those of you who served in the navy in 1980s, I'd be interested if you had any comments on a few things. I know there are a few of you around. I'm writing a research paper for the University of Victoria on the subject, and have been interviewing naval officers around the Victoria area as part of their military oral history program to this end. The information would be helpful to provide a wider perspective. Perspectives of Junior Officers in the 1980s would be particularly helpful.

A few guiding questions:

[list type=decimal]
[*]Firstly, how influenced by NATO was Canada's Navy? Would it be fair to tie Canada's Navy to NATO in order to present what the Canadian Navy was like in the 1980s, with a full focus on fighting the Warsaw Pact?
[*]Was there an over emphasis of ASW capability at the expense of ASUW or AA?
[*]What were some advantages/disadvantages of being involved in NATO Operations?

[*]What sort of operations did you participate in/ was there a main theme of these Ops?
[/list]

Basically I'm looking for comments that would help me paint a picture of what the navy was like in the 1980s, especially operationally. I'm not so interested in procurement and equipment, which is fairly well documented.

The idea is to evaluate how Canada's navy in the 1980s and in NATO, shaped her when she moved into the the Gulf in 1990. Any comments would be appreciated.
Have you looked at:
http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/canada/

Back