• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's First Nations - CF help, protests, solutions, etc. (merged)

Urmimu said:
Please do not neglect the paragraph that follows from that same reference:

"Some hold the view that the stand-alone definition is overboard and that the reference to motive of political, religious or ideological purpose may invite “profiling” on the basis of politics, religion or ideology. This issue of the motive requirement is currently before the courts in R. v. Khawaja. [2] There are also some concerns that the elements which relate to seriously interfering with or disrupting an essential service might extend anti-terrorism measures to unlawful but peaceful labour strikes or other protests. These concerns were also raised in 2001 and, in response, Parliament included in the section an exception for advocacy, protest, dissent and stoppage of work, provided these activities are not intended to cause any of the other serious forms of harm referred to in the definition."

Actually the court has issued a ruling.....in favor of the legislation:
The Court ruled that the terrorism offences set out in sections 83.03, 83.18, 83.19 and 83.21 of the Criminal Code are constitutional

http://scc.lexum.org/decisia-scc-csc/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/12768/1/document.do

Larry

Urmimu said:
This issue of the motive requirement is currently before the courts in R. v. Khawaja.
Nice attempt at clouding the issue Urmimu, but to elaborate on the previous response, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously, upholding the motive clause and concluding that threats of violence are not constitutionally protected.

There is further detail in the Ottawa Citizen, here, which outlines not only additional aspects of the constitutionality, but also upholds the expansion of Khawaja's initial 10-year sentence to life, no chance of parole for 10 years plus 24 consecutive years, which was  imposed by the Ontario Court of Appeal.

For an interesting, if somewhat dated, perspective on the Anti-Terrorism Act, the Justice Department has a copy of The Views of Canadian Scholars on the Impact of the Anti-Terrorism Act (2004) here

I find it interesting, in that Canadian academics are often pre-supposed to be tree-hugging leftists, yet their views are echoed in this Supreme Court ruling that even in the "rush to legislate in the face of a great catastrophe, the government did not go too far in drafting the Anti-terrorism Act amendments to the Criminal Code."

Urmimu said:
Please do not neglect the paragraph that follows from that same reference:

"Some hold the view that the stand-alone definition is overboard and that the reference to motive of political, religious or ideological purpose may invite “profiling” on the basis of politics, religion or ideology. This issue of the motive requirement is currently before the courts in R. v. Khawaja. [2] There are also some concerns that the elements which relate to seriously interfering with or disrupting an essential service might extend anti-terrorism measures to unlawful but peaceful labour strikes or other protests. These concerns were also raised in 2001 and, in response, Parliament included in the section an exception for advocacy, protest, dissent and stoppage of work, provided these activities are not intended to cause any of the other serious forms of harm referred to in the definition."

Please do not neglect the highlighted, last sentence.

Standing in a park, holding signs and chanting is not the same as blocking a railroad or interferring with the safety equipment.

recceguy said:
causing serious interference or disruption of an essential service, facility or system, whether public or private."

In order to meet that definition, you would need to clarify "serious interference or disruption" and "essential service, facility or system."

Several hours of travel disruption, perhaps even days, is not going to constitute a 'serious' disruption. If it was, then VIA and CN would be screaming to high heaven for someone to do something about the Natives on the tracks, or perhaps they would trot out some ramming bars to the front of their engines. Are people going to be pissed off? Yes. Is money going to be lost? Undoubtedly, yes. But is it a serious threat to the national, or even local, infrastructure? Hardly.

And again, let's put this into perspective. Do we honestly think, with the information provided and this being wholly in the realm of "just a wild hunch," that this was a concentrated effort to derail trains, plow them into canals, or otherwise jeopardize national commerce or hundreds of lives? I doubt it, I truly do. It was more than likely a bunch of protesters trying to affect a railway crossing arm or light at one intersection. I am not condoning their behaviour. As Good2Golf said, it would have far reaching consequences. But we are taking about 'Mischief' and 'Criminal Negligence,' not quite 'Terrorism.'

Baloo said:
In order to meet that definition, you would need to clarify "serious interference or disruption" and "essential service, facility or system."

Several hours of travel disruption, perhaps even days, is not going to constitute a 'serious' disruption. If it was, then VIA and CN would be screaming to high heaven for someone to do something about the Natives on the tracks, or perhaps they would trot out some ramming bars to the front of their engines. Are people going to be pissed off? Yes. Is money going to be lost? Undoubtedly, yes. But is it a serious threat to the national, or even local, infrastructure? Hardly.

And again, let's put this into perspective. Do we honestly think, with the information provided and this being wholly in the realm of "just a wild hunch," that this was a concentrated effort to derail trains, plow them into canals, or otherwise jeopardize national commerce or hundreds of lives? I doubt it, I truly do. It was more than likely a bunch of protesters trying to affect a railway crossing arm or light at one intersection. I am not condoning their behaviour. As Good2Golf said, it would have far reaching consequences. But we are taking about 'Mischief' and 'Criminal Negligence,' not quite 'Terrorism.'

Just because you, a layman citizen, do not believe it is a serious interference or disruption to an essential service, facility or system, does not make it so.

Baloo said:
It was more than likely a bunch of protesters trying to affect a railway crossing arm or light at one intersection.

Or a certain small group of people hiding in the shadow of the larger movement who's intention is to either derail a train (which some boneheads will claim is the work of paid Harper agents trying to frame them) or simply cause fear and terror in daily commuters.

Fair enough, and vice versa.

Can we just agree to disagree over titles and share disgust over the elk slaughter?

ObedientiaZelum said:
Or a certain small group of people hiding in the shadow of the larger movement who's intention is to either derail a train (which some boneheads will claim is the work of paid Harper agents trying to frame them) or simply cause fear and terror in daily commuters.

Ah, Black Bloc-esque tactics, eh?

I have no doubt that those elements exist, especially inside the 'Mohawk Warrior' elements. I also believe that many members of the movement, dedicated or casual, will continue to push the limits of not only the government, but Canadian society as a whole. Where the foot gets put down and batons come a-flyin' I can't wager. But it will be farther down the road from highway and railway traffic disruptions, I can pretty much guarantee.

Baloo said:
Fair enough, and vice versa.

Can we just agree to disagree over titles and share disgust over the elk slaughter?

I'm more disgusted by people with jobs loosing money because of blockades (or the racism and bullying leveled at FN people who don't support blockades) but shooting a family of elk is bad too.  Oddly enough I don't even think the guy who posted that IS a part of INM. Sounded like he was being sarcastic to me. 

Baloo said:
Interesting you should mention that, brother...
Perhaps you should enlighten us as to what else you know of this "black block" you speak of out of the blue?

Baloo said:

I have no doubt that those elements exist, especially inside the 'Mohawk Warrior' elements. I also believe that many members of the movement, dedicated or casual, will continue to push the limits of not only the government, but Canadian society as a whole. Where the foot gets put down and batons come a-flyin' I can't wager. But it will be farther down the road from highway and railway traffic disruptions, I can pretty much guarantee.

Not just in the Warrior Society. You must have missed the discussion upthread where proven, non-native anarchists are participating in the INM protests.

Strictly speaking, unless you know exactly what is in the cargo of a tractor/trailer, railway car, or aircraft, how can you possibly know whether disruption of delivery is of trivial or grave importance?

The operative rule should be: don't fuck with things you don't understand when common sense tells you it's wrong.

recceguy said:
Not just in the Warrior Society. You must have missed the discussion upthread where proven, non-native anarchists are participating in the INM protests.

Right, post #321.
http://www.genuinewitty.com/2013/01/03/idlenomore-the-soros-anarchists-behind-the-scene-at-the-sarnia-rail-blockade/

Brad Sallows said:
Strictly speaking, unless you know exactly what is in the cargo of a tractor/trailer, railway car, or aircraft, how can you possibly know whether disruption of delivery is of trivial or grave importance?

The operative rule should be: don't fuck with things you don't understand when common sense tells you it's wrong.

He spoke the words!  He spoke the words!  Stone him!!

Ever since Greg renouf posted a link to his blog denouncing Rememberance day protesters, I've been impressed by his way of doing business with anarchists.  He is left wing, but you can't help but respect the way he goes after the hypocrisy of the left wing extremists.  You might not agree with his politics but you can respect the way he presents his views.

http://www.genuinewitty.com/2013/01/06/attawapiskats-problematic-investment-portfolio-and-how-it-conflicts-with-idlenomores-values/

Great post by him at the link above that shows the hypocrisy of this whole situation.

Checking in on Attawapiskat

CBC The National

From January 2012:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1ynaC8f5ues#!

Also: CBC quietly changes BS story about doctor’s diagnose of Chief Spence

January 6, 2013 — BC Blue  http://bcblue.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/cbc-quietly-changes-bs-story-about-doctors-diagnose-of-chief-spence/

ObedientiaZelum said:
I'm more disgusted by people with jobs loosing money because of blockades (or the racism and bullying leveled at FN people who don't support blockades) but shooting a family of elk is bad too.  Oddly enough I don't even think the guy who posted that IS a part of INM. Sounded like he was being sarcastic to me.

Whether or not it is a part of the larger movement, is personally irrelevant. If it starts a discussion on the deplorable state of Native hunting rights, great. If not, it at least outed one individual and showed people unfamiliar with the situation, what occurs. Sustenance harvest, right. As a hunter myself, the situation disgusts me. But I digress.

Interesting you should mention that, brother...
Perhaps you should enlighten us as to what else you know of this "black block" you speak of out of the blue?

I'm not sure why I sense a condescending tone, but again, I was agreeing with you. Referencing the 'Black Bloc' of anarchist protest fame, a heterogeneous rabble of thugs, generally situated within a larger, peaceful movement. During the course of said protest, the unaffiliated, or affiliated out of convenience, group breaks off from the main body to wage war on the bank windows and newspaper boxes in the streets. Refer to the G20, as an example. Outrage and chaos for its own sake.

recceguy said:

I'm not sure why you're implying that I am ignorant on the matter. I was agreeing with the fact that there are agitating elements and factions within the greater movement.

I pointed out the 'Warriors' as but one variable.

Baloo said:
Trust me, in no way shape or form, am I coming to the defence of 'Idle No More,' or any  form of Native protest in this issue.

That being said, I think some people are being slightly hyperbolic when they label anything that has taken place so far as 'terrorism.' No-one, from the government to the Canadian public, is being harmed, threatened or otherwise put in any sort of conceivable danger, at this point. I say at this point, because things can always change. No, people are being inconvenienced. Shutting down a passenger railway, highway, or border crossing for several hours cannot, nor should it be, considered 'terrorism.' Really, every protest is in some form an attempt to coerce a group of people into action.

Let's not start comparing anything that has happened so far with the 'Toronto 18' or incidents of ecology-related arson.

Now, whether or not they should be allowed to do so, without consequence, is another matter entirely.

Messing with rail signals on a VIA rail line is not mischief. It's terrorism, period.

Baloo said:
I'm not sure why you're implying that I am ignorant on the matter. I was agreeing with the fact that there are agitating elements and factions within the greater movement.

I pointed out the 'Warriors' as but one variable.

I wasn't implying anything. Just pointing out the obvious. That you seemed to have missed the previous part of the thread concerning your subject.

Stewiacke, Nova Scotia. Good Friday, 2001. Via Rail's "Ocean" derails with dozens of injuries and, miraculously, no loss of life though some are still feeling the after affects. The train wiped out a feed mill where patrons had mere seconds to escape.

Cause: a kid fucked with an old switch sending the train down a barely used side track and into the feed mill.

Is that cause and effect enough?

Baloo said:
Trust me, in no way shape or form, am I coming to the defence of 'Idle No More,' or any  form of Native protest in this issue.

That being said, I think some people are being slightly hyperbolic when they label anything that has taken place so far as 'terrorism.' No-one, from the government to the Canadian public, is being harmed, threatened or otherwise put in any sort of conceivable danger, at this point. I say at this point, because things can always change. No, people are being inconvenienced. Shutting down a passenger railway, highway, or border crossing for several hours cannot, nor should it be, considered 'terrorism.' Really, every protest is in some form an attempt to coerce a group of people into action.

Let's not start comparing anything that has happened so far with the 'Toronto 18' or incidents of ecology-related arson.

Things can spiral out of control very quickly. Remember, Oka started with a dispute over a golf course.

Back