• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada doesn’t matter to the rest of the world - and it’s our own fault

I've organized and managed a few DWDs now. I'm really sorry you folks had to go through this in such a poor manner.

Your deserved better. And there are those of us who are trying.
I spent the majority of my career as an NCM and was CWO for longer than I was an officer. The jungle telegraph worked pretty well to get word of my DWD out. Several former CWOs attended, including the past Div and Army Sgts Maj.

Just after I submitted my NOI, my CO got a call from the Bde Comd asking "What's going on there? Why is your Ops O retiring?" The CO simply told him, "he's been in the Infantry for 41 years. He's tired and broken and done fighting with your HQ."

@Infanteer , @FJAG , @Humphrey Bogart and @OldSolduer :

From the intro to that Issue:

With this special issue we provide readers with insights and recommendations for meaningful military culture change. This special issue grew out of two TMC panels at the 2022 Inter-University Seminar on Armed Forces and Society (Ottawa, Canada). These panels were titled Transforming military cultures: An educational and leadership lens and Transforming military cultures: Identity and organizational change. Several panelists, as well as others interested in transforming military cultures, have contributed to this issue.

Now maybe I’m an optimist, but I’m guessing that with the long lead times (as FJAG mentioned) the editors of the various journals had these in the hopper.

I’m not sure that the CMJ is the right forum for those articles, but I’m also not sure that it isn’t. Would it have been better to space them out, say one per issue? Or would it get lost in “article priorities” (if that’s a thing)?

I do believe that those discussions should be had though, and if the CMJ has the widest readership of the CAF-funded periodicals, then…maybe it’s the place to put it? I’m willing to bet that there are oodles of journals around the world talking about the latest tactics in UKR and how the West can learn from them. I’m also willing to bet that there aren’t nearly as many talking about Canadian military culture change.

Just after I submitted my NOI, my CO got a call from the Bde Comd asking "What's going on there? Why is your Ops O retiring?" The CO simply told him, "he's been in the Infantry for 41 years. He's tired and broken and done fighting with your HQ."

I think that's a common issue contributing to many retirements, early or otherwise ;)

I hope the dynamite comes out when the Govt finally changes.

I won't hold my breath though.

I don't actually think they really care about any of the above though.

I believe this is due to years and years of influence ops facilitated by useful idiots designed to degrade our institutions from the inside. Its war without firing a shot.

From the intro to that Issue:

Now maybe I’m an optimist, but I’m guessing that with the long lead times (as FJAG mentioned) the editors of the various journals had these in the hopper.

I’m not sure that the CMJ is the right forum for those articles, but I’m also not sure that it isn’t. Would it have been better to space them out, say one per issue? Or would it get lost in “article priorities” (if that’s a thing)?

I do believe that those discussions should be had though, and if the CMJ has the widest readership of the CAF-funded periodicals, then…maybe it’s the place to put it? I’m willing to bet that there are oodles of journals around the world talking about the latest tactics in UKR and how the West can learn from them. I’m also willing to bet that there aren’t nearly as many talking about Canadian military culture change.
I found it kind of odd that this publication made it to the daily RCN News Summary that pops into my inbox.

The author of this piece isn't too impressed with the culture change slant of the issue in question.

Then there is this opinion piece in the Globe and Mail today about renaming of white settler patriarchal colonial Canada.
Edit (it's back up)

the author - Lauren Beck is the Canada Research Chair in Intercultural Encounter, professor of visual and material culture studies at Mount Allison University, and the author of Canada’s Place Names and How to Change Them.

Here are some highlights of her thinking:

"We have inherited a host of names that have whitened and masculinized"

Then there is this doozy

"Municipalities have significant latitude when it comes to implementing policy and determining how places within their jurisdictions are named. The Dundases, Ryersons and Macdonalds of Canada are rightfully becoming unmoored from the landscape. For those who worry we will forget lessons from the past, look to Germany and Spain – their landscapes have been cleansed of names associated with past dictators, yet the history of what happened there has not vanished from public consciousness."

So she is comparing Dundas, Ryerson, and Macdonald to Hitler and Franco. Good job Lauren. I'm sure everyone is rallying to your cause.
Emily Blunt Oh Snap GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

Last edited:
I hope the dynamite comes out when the Govt finally changes.

I won't hold my breath though.

I don't actually think they really care about any of the above though.
Sadly though there will come a time very soon when they will care only there won't be time to do anything about it and training draftees to man a ship or carry a rifle will be the least of our worries. There are a number of lessons that can be learnt from Russia's actions and one of the principle ones is the need for maintaining an industry resource that is capable of producing war products at relatively short notice and in sufficient quantities to matter. A second is the absolute need for an leadership core that is focused upon the only real purpose for a military force at all: defense of the nation and its position In other words, war. If we, and our allies, had been spending our 2% it is at least a possibility that there would be no need for many of these discussions. The cold war was cold and the eastern block collapsed because Russia couldn't see a viable alternative. We backed down whilst they waited patiently.

Well to be honest the CAF descended from the British military structure so yes there is some truth to the article. White - yes because in the 19th and early 20th century this nation was predominantly white people of various ethnicities.
Culture change cannot happen overnight. It takes time, patience and a willingness to adapt - both on the soldiers part and the institutional part.

Maybe Canada is heading towards a point where proportional pan-racial, pan-gender conscription will be the way of the future to secure the desired culture attitude and composition?

Well to be honest the CAF descended from the British military structure so yes there is some truth to the article. White - yes because in the 19th and early 20th century this nation was predominantly white people of various ethnicities.
Culture change cannot happen overnight. It takes time, patience and a willingness to adapt - both on the soldiers part and the institutional part.

Maybe Canada is heading towards a point where proportional pan-racial, pan-gender conscription will be the way of the future to secure the desired culture attitude and composition?

Aye, I can see the advantages.

We can import a bit of SMERSH and a bit of CCP culture into the CAF. Lots of time available when you cut out those silly Church Parades.

My concern is with the authors and what the editor is trying to achieve with the journal. If you look, aside from the 1x obligatory 3* GOFO boilerplate, the authors are:
  • 5x academics in the gender/critical studies field
  • 1x Sociologist academic
  • 2x Educational Studies academics
  • 1x long-tenured RMC professor
I'm sure they are fine academics and that some are interested in what they research, but this is a professional journal and yet not one article is authored by anyone in the profession. It appears we have handed over the keys to the professional discourse to academia, something akin to a legal journal having a bunch of carpenters write all the articles.

So, this is a critique on the editorial thrust for getting away from having professionals discuss issues in the profession (and culture change is probably one of them) and the profession itself for not writing and thinking about the issue. I'm also not sure an entire issue should be dedicated to this subject - at the time of this being published there was a major war in Europe with significant implications on the profession occurring. Nothing on this at all is a real shame.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the highly academic nature of these articles means this edition will not resonate very much in places where a professional journal should - the battalions, regiments, squadrons, and ships of the CAF.

My concern is with the authors and what the editor is trying to achieve with the journal.
I think that if you want to look beyond one issue and a general trend, then you need to dig a bit deeper and look at the make-up of the editorial board and the advisory board. There's is some military depth there but not much. The majority are from the academic field.

🍻

I think that if you want to look beyond one issue and a general trend, then you need to dig a bit deeper and look at the make-up of the editorial board and the advisory board. There's is some military depth there but not much. The majority are from the academic field.

🍻
Academics are absolutely required. Without them and theories that they develop this world would not be what it is.

Do I want a pure academic as a Commanding Officer? I’m not sure about that - at some point I think the academic world needs to be tempered with common sense and the realization humans are not perfect.

Academics are absolutely required. Without them and theories that they develop this world would not be what it is.

Do I want a pure academic as a Commanding Officer? I’m not sure about that - at some point I think the academic world needs to be tempered with common sense and the realization humans are not perfect.

In this world of DEI academics and Strategic Corporals is there still a role for a pack of hounds?

After spending a bit of time in the academic world doing a PG, I was surprised how little common sense can play into some departments, while others it reigns supreme when mixed with the actual science. It's incredibly personality driven, and seems to be also correlated with who gives you money. Funding from companies tends to result in very practical research on actual issues, as well as engagement with actual people working in the field. Funding from government seems to be disconnected from any reality.

Based on the CMJ’s editorial and the Chief of CPCC’s article I am going to assume that this edition and the overall tone has at least some tacit support from the CAF as an institution and the CPCC.

Assuming that’s true my opinion is the CAFs desire for culture change is going to either fail in the short term resulting in nothing changing or it will result in failure in war. They are allowing culture change to be defined by the application of critical race theory,3rd/4th Wave feminism both backed by neo Marxism. I cannot see culture change based on those items succeeding in any way that is acceptable.

Let’s look at one of the articles, Supporting Military Families: Challenging or Reinforcing Patriarchy?

Leigh Spanner focuses on the CAFs efforts to modernize the MFRC, something I think is likely a useful effort. However she approaches it from a belief that the CAF via the MFRC supports a patriarchal family and she applies a feminist perspective to its possible issues and constantly references MFRC programs as being neo liberal.

Why a feminist perspective? Why not an operational readiness perspective? In the article she appears to take a dim view of the fact that perhaps operational readiness is of core interest to the military and that child care and family wellbeing may well be considered by the CAF as primarily a means of increasing operational readiness vs something else.

There is a consistent underling theme in the article of overall hostility to the idea of personal and family responsibility to ensure that the family can sustain itself in terms of child care etc. Expecting personal responsibility and effort seem to be looked at as hostile. To some degree I think that that may be reasonable, posting a family across the country and way from extended family support networks does but the responsibility on the institution to a degree, previously that was handled informally by the extended unit families but that has fallen apart to a large degree perhaps requiring that the MFRC now fill that role. She offers no suggestions to that aside from stating that requiring family care plans is hostile and a way to download child care to women.

She is hostile to emergency child care programs, family care plans, MFRC programing, and does not suggest how to improve the MRFC in order to improve readiness. She briefly in one sentence touches upon the long wait lists for day care and after school care slots but doesn’t investigate how to improve this or why we would want to. Instead she just critics them for focusing their efforts on their largest demographic client which is women at 84%.

Bottom line to me is that improving the MFRC services and supports could support recruitment and retention efforts and operational readiness which is ultimately what our culture change efforts are about aside from just wanting to be good human beings but this article and all the others are not helpful in that aim as they are authored by persons blinded by their ideological leanings.

Edited for grammar.

Based on the CMJ’s editorial and the Chief of CPCC’s article I am going to assume that this edition and the overall tone has at least some tacit support from the CAF as an institution and the CPCC.

Assuming that’s true my opinion is the CAFs desire for culture change is going to either fail in the short term resulting in nothing changing or it will result in failure in war. They are allowing culture change to be defined by the application of critical race theory,3rd/4th Wave feminism both backed by neo Marxism. I cannot see culture change based on those items succeeding in any way that is acceptable.

Let’s look at one of the articles, Supporting Military Families: Challenging or Reinforcing Patriarchy?

Leigh Spanner focuses on the CAFs efforts to modernize the MFRC, something I think is likely a useful effort. However she approaches it from a belief that the CAF via the MFRC supports a patriarchal family and she applies a feminist perspective to its possible issues and constantly references MFRC programs as being neo liberal.

Why a feminist perspective? Why not an operational readiness perspective? In the article she appears to take a dim view of the fact that perhaps operational readiness is of core interest to the military and that child care and family wellbeing may well be considered by the CAF as primarily a means of increasing operational readiness vs something else.

There is a consistent underling theme in the article of overall hostility to the idea of personal and family responsibility to ensure that the family can sustain itself in terms of child care etc. Expecting personal responsibility and effort seem to be looked at as hostile. To some degree I think that that may be reasonable, posting a family across the country and way from extended family support networks does but the responsibility on the institution to a degree, previously that was handled informally by the extended unit families but that has fallen apart to a large degree perhaps requiring that the MFRC now fill that role. She offers no suggestions to that aside from stating that requiring family care plans is hostile and a way to download child care to women.

She is hostile to emergency child care programs, family care plans, MFRC programing, and does not suggest how to improve the MRFC in order to improve readiness. She briefly in one sentence touches upon the long wait lists for day care and after school care slots but doesn’t investigate how to improve this or why we would want to. Instead she just critics them for focusing their efforts on their largest demographic client which is women at 84%.

Bottom line to me is that improving the MFRC services and supports could support recruitment and retention efforts and operational readiness which is ultimately what our culture change efforts are about aside from just wanting to be good human beings but this article and all the others are not helpful in that aim as they are authored by persons blinded by their ideological leanings.

Edited for grammar.
I read the article. Wow . . . just, wow.

Back