• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada doesn’t matter to the rest of the world - and it’s our own fault

It does indeed...

To be fair, it is understandable and they should do very thorough checks, so no fault, no foul - but I've been given an estimate of as much as a possible 2 year wait. I'll still be here for that, if I have to, because I really want to do it, but I would imagine a large percentage of folks probably end up fading out of the process if years go by.
Yeah. That's certainly not going to fill the ranks.

But JAUKUS sounds like joculous, which is amusing.

Go On Reaction GIF

Well then: Don’t Count on Us: Canada’s Military Unreadiness - War on the Rocks

"Both Canadian leaders and the voting public have been happy to coast on the military reputation that the country earned more than 70 years ago. Like an out-of-shape former high school star athlete who clings to their glory days, Canadians still imagine themselves as they were back then, not as they are now, although a growing number think their country’s reputation has worsened lately. Worse still, Canadians and their leaders believe that their allies see them how they see themselves. The result has been a mix of smugness and complacency that has prevented Canada from confronting the true extent of its military decline."

Well then: Don’t Count on Us: Canada’s Military Unreadiness - War on the Rocks

"Both Canadian leaders and the voting public have been happy to coast on the military reputation that the country earned more than 70 years ago. Like an out-of-shape former high school star athlete who clings to their glory days, Canadians still imagine themselves as they were back then, not as they are now, although a growing number think their country’s reputation has worsened lately. Worse still, Canadians and their leaders believe that their allies see them how they see themselves. The result has been a mix of smugness and complacency that has prevented Canada from confronting the true extent of its military decline."
All true.
A story from Gulf War 1. The French sent a contingent but no one would tell them anything substantial because their minister of defense (IIRC) was not particularly good at keeping secrets. Once he was shuffled off somewhere else and a more palatable minister was installed all of a sudden the French were welcomed.
I have a feeling IF PP and his cohort win the next election we may be allowed to have a say ONCE we pony up some $$ and equip the CAF properly.

All true.
A story from Gulf War 1. The French sent a contingent but no one would tell them anything substantial because their minister of defense (IIRC) was not particularly good at keeping secrets. Once he was shuffled off somewhere else and a more palatable minister was installed all of a sudden the French were welcomed.
I have a feeling IF PP and his cohort win the next election we may be allowed to have a say ONCE we pony up some $$ and equip the CAF properly.
Call me pessimistic but I don’t think the CPC will magically throw money at the CAF once in.

Saying that you’ll fund the military here is a great sound bite to use against the Govt while in opposition or campaigning, but if a govt wins and doesn’t do it, there are no real political consequences. Any party can say “oh, did we say that? But there are so many more pressing concerns in Canada…” and voters will justify it.

Call me pessimistic but I don’t think the CPC will magically throw money at the CAF once in.

Saying that you’ll fund the military here is a great sound bite to use against the Govt while in opposition or campaigning, but if a govt wins and doesn’t do it, there are no real political consequences. Any party can say “oh, did we say that? But there are so many more pressing concerns in Canada…” and voters will justify it.
Agreed.
Their focus will be on budget sanity.

Of all the things we’ve experienced with Conservatives in 20 years, the CAF is not a priority and there’s no reason to anticipate anything different.
Harper was a good PM as a manager of the economy and spending. His CAF budgets sucked as did his attitude about national defence.

Of all the things we’ve experienced with Conservatives in 20 years, the CAF is not a priority and there’s no reason to anticipate anything different.
Harper was a good PM as a manager of the economy and spending. His CAF budgets sucked as did his attitude about national defence.
Suck included, C-17, C130J's, Chinooks, Leopard 2's, NSS and Astreix. I take that level of suck again.

Harper didn't have a choice and it looked good to the electorate. Political expediency is the deciding factor.
For all our political parties.
When the war started to get unpopular with the voters , DND became just another Department that was causing him problems.
Defence issues don't win elections but they can lose them.
That's been the mindset of every Canadian politician since before Confederation.

There is a lot an interested PM and cabinet could do to improve the CAF and DND without having to actually spend more money.
A lot of process and procedural stuff could be streamlined, restructuring, legislative changes could be implemented.
All relatively cheap but not simple.

If that’s the case, then anyone expecting the CPC to be “the party that supports the CAF” may be disappointed…
I suspect he’s a little more concerned about what’s going to happen in the next 5-10 years globally that your current government.

Which means funding the CAF regardless of how the books look.

I suspect he’s a little more concerned about what’s going to happen in the next 5-10 years globally that your current government.

Which means funding the CAF regardless of how the books look.
What would lead you to that conclusion? So far, everything is for a domestic audience. While it may not be as prevalent as in the US, there is a growing sentiment that Canada should withdraw all foreign aid (including Ukraine). I’m not saying foreign policy will dramatically change but PP is fairly quiet on a lot of important foreign subjects.

I don’t see much coming from that quarter in terms of defence spending or world issues. That may change but so far it’s mostly crickets.

Back