• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada Considering Sending Phalanx to Afghanistan

Just a passing thought here, since this is a "Sgt Rock" type weapons system, mount it on a beefed up LAV and take it out for a bit of Taliban target practice. At 75 rounds of 20 mm a second, not much is going to survive after being hit a by a solid wall of that. Put it on auto, sit back and let it do the rest. A bit expensive on ammo though and a bit of overkill, but i'm sure it would scare the hell out of the taliban. ;D

Like i said, just a thought.

Ref: http://www.army-technology.com/projects/pantsyr/

A personal fav: the Pantsyr with 30mm and SA-19 Missile. Proven in the desert as UAE has them albeit a few radar problems.

We could lease them and get an extended warranty.

Yeah, "proven". Riiiiiight.

You do know they didn't "prove" its ability to shoot down rockets and mortars, right?

::)

MG

It was more of a sarcastic post based on Russia Technology and claims.

The website boasts the K Band radar with a range of 28 km....right

Why is it such and impossability, after all they put a flying cannon in the air, its called the A-10, same difference. Instead of destroying mortar bombs or missles, use the phalanx system to take out the mud huts or fortifications the taliban hole up in and after you have them on the run, blast them straight to hell. I'm sure that taliban recruiting will fall straight into the abyss.

During the late 70's during the cold war the soviets deployed the the ZSU-23/4  mounted on a PT-76 or ASU-85 chassis, with (4) 23mm canons which could be used in multiple roles against aircraft, tanks or infantry. As an anti-armoured trooper in Germany during the 80's I had to memorize these as AF recognition. The ZSU was a most feared weapon do the the fact it could be utilized against both air and ground elements and would be very effective against infantry fortifications, APC,s and tanks with armour piercing ammunition under sustained fire.

Think outside the box... Conventional warfare has taken a back seat in Afhgansistan.

retiredgrunt45 said:
Instead of destroying mortar bombs or missles, use the phalanx system to take out the mud huts or fortifications the taliban hole up in and after you have them on the run, blast them straight to hell. I'm sure that taliban recruiting will fall straight into the abyss...

...Think outside the box... Conventional warfare has taken a back seat in Afhgansistan.

This is easily the brightest idea I have ever seen. Someone promote this man!

::)

MG

ZSU is nothing new, 
the german had their flakpanzer IV (wirbelwind)
the americans had quad .50cals on halfttracks during ww2
we had quad 20mm on a sherman chassis (aka Skink) designed forAA, the one vehicle that was fielded was used for AP in 1944

The Idea of putting a CIWIS on a truck reminds me of the M-163 PIVADS weapons sytem the americans retired a while back. It worked well, but it used an optical sight. It was a vulcan cannon mounted on a M-113 or a trailer.

www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m163.htm

I saw the M113-mounted Vulcan fired in 1968 in Fort Bliss. The weapons system used a Vulcan slowed down from the normal rate to 1000/3000 rounds per minute and a range only radar sight. It was pretty rough and ready.

I am speculating here, but I think it was a second best after the cancelation of the Mauler AD system circa-1964 or -1965. This was essentially a rocket pod on a mount fitted to a M113 - sort of like a RWS - with a radar and all the rest that traversed and elevated. It had progressed far enought that we had decided to deploy a trials unit to join the US trails when the project was cancelled.

Both systems were pre-digitization and even the transistor was not in wide spread use at the time, so the technology was pretty rudimentary.

There is no comparison with CIWS except visually.

I agree the VADS and PIVADs don't hold a candle to he Phalanx or any other CIWIS, but it is interesting to see the 20mm vulcan continue on in a new weapons system.

On another note related to the thread, I've read that the PIVADs was also used in an infantry support role.

Both versions of Vulcan were used in an infantry support role often in the defence of fire bases. However, both, I think, were also used for convoy protection, as was a Second World War system, the M42 Duster, which was a twin 40mm on a light tank chassis. It had been relegated to the National Guard, but taken back for service in Vietnam until Vulcan was ready. (I think both probably continued in service at the same time working on the 'if it shoots, it works' principle.')

I believe that if we follow the lineage of the Vulcan back, we'll find that the basic Gatling gun system that's used today is essentially identical to that of Mr. Gatling from the 1800's. 

In fact, when trials were done in 1914, Mr. Gatling hooked up one of his guns to an electric motor, and got a rate of fire of 3000 rpm. 

(Ref letter from the War Department, dated 18 Apr 1914, page 62 of "The Machine Gun" Volume 1.)

NavyShooter

A company in the States called I believe Escaro or something along those lines developed a self propelled mount for GE's 25 MM  equaliser . It looked like and extended Bobcat chassis.It also steered like one by locking up the brakes on one side to turn.I'll see If I can find a picture.

From DefenseNews.com

U.S. May Buy More C-RAMs

By KRIS OSBORN

The U.S. Army wants to buy more Counter Rocket, Artillery and Mortar (C-RAM) systems, first fielded in 2006 to protect forward operating bases from incoming fire, said U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Michael Vane, who directs the Army Capabilities Integration Center.
The Army last increased its order in January, when it gave Northrop Grumman a $71 million contract to supply an unspecified number of C-RAMs. Vane declined to say how many of the weapons have been purchased, or how many might be added.
Once an incoming round is detected, audio and visual alarms warn soldiers. A fire-control subsystem predicts the round’s flight path, prioritizes targets and fires a multibarrel machine gun.
“This gives us a capability to shoot down a mortar or a missile in flight,” Vane said. “This has been a very successful joint system using a Navy gun and Army sensors, along with command and control systems on an air base.”

Back