• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Calories Burnt in Field/on OPs

cdnaviator said:
They certainly can regular portion size.  At 17 Wing they post at the start of the steam line, how much a portion is for the meal being served.

Maybe it's where 17 wing puts through less people a day?I know in Gagetown it was denied.Mostly due to the large amounts of food needed to be prepard for the multitude of courses.

The IMPs were augmented by an arctic supplement in my day-do they still issue? Basically it was two more hot chocolates and a can of Crosse and Blackwell fruitbread. The latter was delicious, all aimed at increasing the caloric intake in extreme cold weather conditions. I know of few people who gained much weight on winter exercises, REMF or not.

The Somalia experience, where tps were on hard rats for almost the whole time proved that the IMP, though  lacking in certain areas, eg roughage, was capable of sustaining a soldier for periods far extended from its original intent, ie I think it was to be a max of a month, without harm, and that included weight gain. Obviously if you find you are gaining weight on them, cut out the sweet stuff for starters.

a78jumper said:
The IMPs were augmented by an arctic supplement in my day-do they still issue? Basically it was two more hot chocolates and a can of Crosse and Blackwell fruitbread. The latter was delicious, all aimed at increasing the caloric intake in extreme cold weather conditions. I know of few people who gained much weight on winter exercises, REMF or not.

The Somalia experience, where tps were on hard rats for almost the whole time proved that the IMP, though  lacking in certain areas, eg roughage, was capable of sustaining a soldier for periods far extended from its original intent, ie I think it was to be a max of a month, without harm, and that included weight gain. Obviously if you find you are gaining weight on them, cut out the sweet stuff for starters.

They still do have the supplement packs. Couple chocolate bars, Jerky, juice, etc.

Those supplements are called Light meal combat (LMC) and consist of three menus. It containes 1000 calories each in a protien snack (jerky, pepperoni sticks and dried cheese), granola and chocolate bars, and 2 fruit drink mix.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Those supplements are called Light meal combat (LMC) and consist of three menus. It containes 1000 calories each in a protien snack (jerky, pepperoni sticks and dried cheese), granola and chocolate bars, and 2 fruit drink mix.

That's the ones.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:

I thought there was a different one for "arctic", seem to recall in '92 or so, we did some survival trng on winter ex with 2 SAR Techs and they showed them to us.  It had lots of stuff like hard candy type items, all high in calories.  But different then the LMCs.

?

MRM, I was up north in the late 70s. Remember what 78jumper is talking about... would probably be a dietician's nightmare but, lots of caloriesfor you tu burn.

Other than being a "supplement" don't remember it's specific name

Also used Long range patrol rations (LRP) up north.  dehydrated stuff where you only add wwater - :P (yetch)

a78jumper said:

a78jumper:

Actually, on the Iran side of the '88 UNIIMOG deployment, when IMPs were still relatively new, we lived on them for four months - the Somalia mission was not the first to do so for more than a month.

Aside from that minor quibble, your post is spot on.  I also remember the "Arctic Supplement" - it is entirely possible that the actual nomenclature and intent was something different - but "Arctic Supplement" is what we called them in the early '80s.  And we still had a Rum ration!!

Roy

hehe.... Rum ration.... remember the Comms NCO bringing the bottle up to the Platoon lines one cold winter night, he tripped-up while climbing over a fence and smashed the bottle...... Ohhh the sight - seeing grown men cry!

The winter supplement was definately called "arctic supplement".

No doubt that rum was intended as a caloric augmentation during heavy operations! The IMPS were first issued in early 1982 as I recall I got a mix of the old IRPs and the new IMPs on a Rapier Thrust in Wainwright, a huge improvement, plus you could tailor the exact amount of meals required for issue to the individual soldier, where as before it was hit and miss, you might get 1/3 of an IRP eg dinner for your final morning in the field, which should have been breakfast.

And I still remember getting crapped on by the Bde G4 Sup for issuing the rum as a QM without the Bde Comd's approval. From my perspective when someone in my Chain ofComd with four stripes on their shoulders tells me to issue the rum, mais oui monsieur was the answer. So the next morning we had the Comd SSF out for an hard rats breakfast(yummy)with the troops and got him to sign off the approval on a brown napkin from the IMP, which I duly and personally dumped on the G4 Sup's desk (he was a member of the E1 jump club, say no more).

I carried 3000 ounces of rum as a basic load for the AB Battle though we never threw it out of the back of a Herc.

3000 Oz.... sounds entirely reasonnable

1000 men for planning purposes, x3 days at one oz per man........

Actually it was called a spirit ration, and did not have to be rum, though suppose that was most popular and "tradition" as someone pointed out to me elsewhere as being so important. Suppose also convenient to mix with an overpriced can of Canex coke, LOL.

As the navy says... "Ready!" "Aye, ready!"

Back