• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets or Reserves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger_vetero

Inactive
Reaction score
I have my application in to RMC and I'm waiting for a response.

I am currently the RSM of a cadet corps and a buddy of mine eventually wants to apply to RMC also.

He is planning on quitting cadets to join a reservist unit (he can't do both) because he thinks this will give him a better chance at getting into RMC. I think that he should stay with cadets rather than joining the reservist unit because he has the potential to be a good cadet RSM and this gives him a better chance at getting into RMC.

Am I right?

roger_vetero said:
He is planning on quitting cadets to join a reservist unit (he can't do both) because he thinks this will give him a better chance at getting into RMC. I think that he should stay with cadets rather than joining the reservist unit because he has the potential to be a good cadet RSM and this gives him a better chance at getting into RMC.

Am I right?

I am not a recruiter, nor someone particularly familiar with ROTP. I left cadets for the reserves when I finished high school myself.

I am curious why you think participation as an experienced member of a youth organization would be of more value for such an application than actual military service.

Of course military experience of any sort will look good on the RMC application, but I think your friend should be more concerned about his marks, extracurriculars, community service and leadership experience. They are not looking for the finished package they want someone with potential. Will being a cadet RSM give him an edge over other candidates without that experience? Maybe... a little... But if his average sucks, if he barely makes the RMC threshold on the CFAT, or if he knows little to nothing about his occupation choices during his interview that little bit of experience as a reservist or RSM won't make a dent.

To answer your question, I think your friend should join the reserves it would give him a better taste of what the military is actually like. If he does get into RMC, that is when he will have a slight edge over other applicants without military experience. But then again it is subjective to the type of person he is.

I've seen guys get into RMC without any military related, or cadet experience.

If he's going to do one or the other, I'd tell him to go reserves so he actually has an idea of what being in the military is like, before going to RMC. Cadets won't do that IMO . . .

Jayell said:
If he's going to do one or the other, I'd tell him to go reserves so he actually has an idea of what being in the military is like, before going to RMC. Cadets won't do that IMO . . .

Not to mention Reservists get paid, which is an awesome bonus  :)

CadetRac said:
Auctually i disagree, i think that the leadership that you gain in cadets is more important than the military experince that you get in the reserves, cause im pretty sure they look at leadership over military experince. Now yes theres drawbacks, you have to be in cadets for at least 3 years to take up any leadership spot, but if your not in a rush i think its more worth while. and also you CAN do both with Military CO-OP in high school.

Teehee,

That was cute.  Lemme show you something.  Look to your left.  See that line.  Look to your right, see the other.  This is called a lane.  You are in the wrong one.

Until you grow up, and experience life as a soldier, please refrain on commenting on what leadership is superior.  That of an inflated kids club, or a Military reserve unit. 

Let me know how many "Cadets' Have died or have been wounded, during their service.

dileas

tess

This may also depend on your friend's age. First he'll have to go through the application process, which can be anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. Before he can fully participate on parade nights and weekend exercises, he'll have to first complete BMQ. By this time it may already be time to enter RMC, so at best that was about half a year of military experience as NCM before heading off to train as OCdt.

To me, gaining leadership experience in cadet (or any youth group for that matter) would probably be better time spent than learning how to unload and hose down the LSVW.

On a different note, I was just reading this book talking about my generation (Y) who are constantly asking "How can this company/job/organization beef up my resume?" and are also quite nomadic, with no sense of loyalty. I'm not saying this is your friend, of course, but let's think about contribution for a moment. If your friend is almost ready to be a cadet RSM, that means he's been with the unit for quite some time, maybe even did a scholarship camp or two, it would make sense to give back his knowledge, gained through his cadet career, and be a role model for young cadets. Now, if instead he went and join the reserve, do you think it's fair to the new unit? The function of reserves is not to provide training just to make a person look good on paper.

Something no one looked at. If join the Reserve and want to go to RMC under ROTP you will have to do a CT. If you put in for a CT they are taking up to 18 months to process. If you apply ROTP "off the street" the Recruiting Centre does ALL your processing. If you CT its left up to your Regiment and DMCA. Stay with Cadets. Enjoy your last year or two as a Cadet. You earned it.

CDN Aviator said:
::)

This tread has gone "full retard"
Inapropriate, In my humble opinion. Clearly CadetRac is misinformed and needs to be brought up to speed.

CadetRac, having been a cadet myself for some 5 years, (and enjoyed every moment of it), the experience gained in cadets is not a comparison to reserve or regular force service. I will explain why.

Certainly, you do gain experience "leading" others, however you have to examine that you are merely leading other youth, in simple tasks for a short period of time, once a week. I can state from my experience that the only transferable skills from cadets to the canadian forces is drill and rank recognition. Outside of that, no other skill from Cadets transferred for me.I was a flight seargant when I left cadets, so I "lead" a fairly large group of cadets, even this only gets you so far.

As for reserve/reg force experience, 2 years as a private will give him a wealth of experience. How to write proper memo's, how to obtain/exchange kit, proper usage of the chain of command, and many many many other simple tasks that can only be learned from trial and error. Cadets does not teach you these things. I have heard people say the best officers are those who were once NCM's.

roger_vetero , An experience such as 2 years in Cadets (even in the lofty position of RSM) is not even close to the experience gained in the Reserves/Reg force. That being said, I do believe that you friend should go with the program that allows him the ability to dedicate his time to studies. Better grades and more knowledge in his brain will only ensure his future overall academic success in RMC, or any other university for that matter.

That is my opinion on this matter.

Nites

PS: Judging Cadets against reg/reserve service is a touchy subject. The simple fact is that it does not even come close to "living the dream".

CadetRac said:
... i think that the leadership that you gain in cadets is more important than the military experince that you get in the reserves...

Cadets is for kids, yes its a Defence sponsored youth organisation, which I fully support entirely, as there is many benifits for those involved at all levels.

However, for you to say a youth's/child's leadership has more revellance than than in the Reserves, you are out of touch with reality.  Conducting a leadership tasking in a cadet drill lesson in an armoury is 100% different from  leadership say for example of fire and movement with live ammo on an exercise.

I'd like to see you argue your point with a Reserve MCPL section commander fresh from Afghanistan.

I do hope you have the maturity to see things outside your box.

Regards from a tropical rainy summer's day,

OWDU

EDITed only for spelling

In my job as a Recruiter I have seen Pte with 2 years in have no more leadership than what they came in with off the street. A Cadet with 5 years has a wealth of leadership experience. Is it strict military? Of course not but Officer leadership comes from BMOQ. You need to have a base on which to build. Given my choice of a a Cadet CSM/Cox'n over an 18 year old who has only played "War Craft" and been to a Reserve unit once a week, I'll take the CSM/Cox'n any day!

FDO said:
Given my choice of a a Cadet CSM/Cox'n over an 18 year old who has only played "War Craft" and been to a Reserve unit once a week, I'll take the CSM/Cox'n any day!

...and i will take the gamer because it usualy means i dont have a bag full of bad habits to undo and alot less attitude.

I much prefer to hear "i have never been in charge before" than "Back when i was RSM of cadets we did it this way "

FDO said:
Given my choice of a a Cadet CSM/Cox'n over an 18 year old who has only played "War Craft" and been to a Reserve unit once a week, I'll take the CSM/Cox'n any day!

Once a week eh, I think thats an exception to the rule, and off the mark from your average dedicated Militia dude with 2yrs up his sleeve. I find your comment quite a shortcoming and almost offensive. Seems you are forgetting recruit trg and trade trg, which can chew up a summer in many cases, and many Militia pers are employed from late Jun- late Aug. Thats far beyond once a week.

There is more to a pde night a week and a wknd a month. This is coming from a former Militia guy, and Regular, I've been on both sides of the fence. IMHO at 3 yrs to make CPL, l had more responsibilites than a 16 yr old C/CSM, who thinks he is the lord of leadership.

I view your pers quote as kind of hypocritical "A Veteran-whether active duty, retired or Reserve- is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to "The Country of Canada" for an amount of "up to and including my life"

I once had a militia hater reg who told me that a militia guy could get a CD with 144 days svc at 1 day/mo, 12 days a yr for 12 yrs, while he had to wait the 12/365 route. What crap!

Don't sell a reservist short.

Regards,

OWDU

CadetRac said:
Auctually (actually), i (I), i (I), experince (experience), cause (because), im (I am or I'm), experince (experience), theres (there is), your (you are or you're) , i (I), worth while (worthwhile)

I do hope before you make any personal choices in careers, or as a 'leader' when writing up your next 'leadership lesson plan', you'll attempt some proper punctuation and spelling. The above picked up from just one post. These here are simply pure laziness IMHO, and spelling/grammar show weakness again IMHO. As a former DS in two different armies, and a veteran, your words demonstrate a tad of cadet know-it-all arrogance.

I would suggest you take to heart the advice given to you by a moderator to to stay in your lane. Just be a 16 yr old and be happy.

Regards,

OWDU

CadetRac said:
Lol yeah dont worry i do use spell check when counts :p

Lol, (MSN speak), dont (don't), i (I)........

I don't think its nothing to laugh about, and I would have failed you if yo submitted garbage like that.

Using MSN speak etc is in violation of the guidelines on this site, but as a leader, I thought you would have checked the rules/regs that govern this site.

If you wanted to prove a point, one would think you would present yourself as professional as possible so someone would take you seriously. This includes your spelling, and punctuation.

OWDU

CadetRac said:
Ok, having 2 years of reserves is much better than any number of cadet years, if you want to enroll as a NCO.
(Edit: sorry i mean a NCM  ;D)

But when joing RMC (where they look at leadership more than they look at military experince) beign a cadet CWO, where you have gone on an exchange, para, done staff seems a heck of a lot better than a Private in the reserves who has MAYBE done BMQ. and im not comparing a MCPL to a C/CWO, because i am assuming that this guy is planning to join right after grade 12 which doesnt give him enough time to become a MCPL, and PTE's dont get any leadership experince..

and yeah i am open to both opinions of course, but i have been told by Officers, ex-officer, CIC officers, people currently in RMC, and even some NCM's and NCO's, that in this case senario cadets comes out on top.

I think the information you are rendering here is not exactly accurate. In even one year, A Pte in a reserve unit can become a QL3 trained private. In two years they MAY even make corporal. I know of 6 people who are QL3 trained Sigs in under two years of reserve training, and of those 6 I know of 2 whom are trained in under one year.

Here is food for thought: Let me know when the cadet has Haiti/Afghanistan/etc. tour under his belt, and can put THAT on his RMC application.

I also question your sources of persons who tell you that cadets is better for an RMC application that Canadian Forces Service.

The best advice for this comes from a recruiter. I think that sums it up.

Nites

CadetRac said:
and PTE's dont get any leadership experince..

Just want to point out a lot of times due to man power shortages, Ptes are placed in Leadership positions.  Maybe not as Sect Comds but it is not uncommon to see Cpls as Sect Comds and Ptes as 2IC.  I am not getting involved in the whole what is better for RMC Cadet or reserve position as I don't work in recruiting and have no idea what they look for and how they select people.  I am just defending the Pte, there are several Ptes out there in leadership positions doing a good job (Reg and Reserve).

dangerboy said:
Just want to point out a lot of times due to man power shortages, Ptes are placed in Leadership positions.  Maybe not as Sect Comds but it is not uncommon to see Cpls as Sect Comds and Ptes as 2IC.  I am not getting involved in the whole what is better for RMC Cadet or reserve position as I don't work in recruiting and have no idea what they look for and how they select people.  I am just defending the Pte, there are several Ptes out there in leadership positions doing a good job (Reg and Reserve).

Dangerboy,

Also remind them as Privates,  we had two secondary trades and were put on a leadership course.

I was actually promoted, and celebrated my second year in the military, while on my Leadership course.  All the while still in highschool and not old enough to by a round at the end of the courses and promotions.

btw, never spent a day in the Cadets....

dileas

tess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back