• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets Joining the Reserves - Can it be Both?

• Thread starter corporal-cam
  • Start date
I've seen right dress done both ways.  When I do NCOs Parade (where all NCOs are inspected by the RSM prior to the cadets being inspected) we don't use arms, but we do for anything involving the junior cadets.

C-17 Globemaster said:
does front rank stick their arm out while doing right dress?...cause cadets do and my reserves regt. don't.. oh and like the procedure for filling in in front of the officer to recieve award/promotion in reserves is different from what i learnt in cadets. and plus you gotta learn c7 drill...which is really different from drill cadets do with the enfild   ???

The CF Manual of drill and ceremonil (201) is the same regardless of the element.

The only reason why we guesstimate our distant without using an appendage, is when under arms (carrying rifle), it's carried in the right arm (usually).  It makes it hard to do, with a wpn in your arm.

As I recall, using the arms on the right dress is for new /inexperianced troops. The arms are left at the side for the remainder.

My Flight Officer said that you had to quit cadets before you can join the Reserves. Is this true? Sorry if this question has already been asked/answered.

No,  It is incorrect.  The only way you can be forced to leave cadets is if your CO and the CO of your cadet corps agree that you being discharged from cadets is the best thing.

you don't have to quit cadets, pendind on who you are, you can do both at the same time, from my point of view it is better to quit cadets and join the reserves, but to answer your question, no you don't have to quit cadets to join the reserves

It really is something how greatly opinions differ on this subject.

i have spent the past year trying to decide what i want to do, go to college and join reserves, go to rmc (didn't have the proper credits so nothing happend there), join reg force and try to go to college, go regs only, or stay at home and get a full time job and pay rent. you really do get lost when you know you have nothing coming after the summer.

i think i am going to go with the reg force. i have an application all filled out for a vehicle technician. it sounds like something i want to do. and after 4 years i will be a fully qualified mechanic.

I was thinking of staying in cadets until im old enough to get into the regs and then quit cadets.
Cadets has been a good experience for me but i think that the regs would be a better one.

I never thought you could do both..weird. I wouldnt do that though, would probably take up to much time.

I guess its a difference in opinion, I never even thought you could until I saw this thread.

neither the reserves nor the cadets say yes or no directly, it's all based on whether your cadet unit CO and your reserve unit CO both say yes

No,  It is incorrect.  The only way you can be forced to leave cadets is if your CO and the CO of your cadet corps agree that you being discharged from cadets is the best thing.

Actually, according to the recruiting center, you must leave cadets once you have sworn in to the Forces. But i asked this in the context of a Reg force member. It probably is different for reserves.

Well its official now, I can't join the CF till I have 'subsantially' increased my Education. Which is exactly what I will be doing now. Taking Police Foundations at college and in 2 years applying to the reg force as a MP and my second Moc INF.

I hope none of you have to take the CFAT more then once.. But one good thing out of this is I've learned patience is a virtue.

I quit cadets in April or March of htis year and I went on a CO-OP trip, May 27th for the QYRANG reserves. It was so amazing. I shot the C-6 and the C-7 Full Auto. I'm doing CO-Op with the Reserves all second semester of next year, if I get in of course.

:cdn:

As soon as I had turned 16 (January 2002), I walked into the Argyll recruiting office one parade night.  After being in Cadets for 3 years then, I was so sick of it.  I was so eager to join because I had been so interested in the Army when I was younger and thought that Cadets would be a good prelude experience.  I joined when I was 13 and had a pretty good time.  Our corps literally had 12 cadets on parade when I had first joined, but through a lot of effort, we recruited to get 30+ on parade.  Towards the end, I had been promoted to Sergeant even though I only still had Basic (the P&D course even).

The problems that I saw were that nearly everyone else who was in cadets wasn't there for the same reasons that I was.  I took it pretty seriously and was looking to get something out of it, but I suppose I had too high of hopes.  Too many people didn't take it seriously, really immature kids from Hamilton who were trying to impress each other by defying the 'authority' of the NCOs (which we had very little of anyways, 'due to the system').

So that's my little story/rant.  I'm glad that I had gotten out of Cadets as soon as I did.  I didn't even stick around during the application process.  So, if any cadets who are looking to join the CF want any of my advice, I would say evaluate your initial intentions of joining Cadets, see how you are/aren't enjoying cadets and for what reasons.  I had a great time, socially, in cadets... but the fact that we never got to do any of the 'Army' stuff that really distinguished us from the other Cadet Branches (Air get to fly, Sea get to go sailing, but what does Army get to do differently?) really was a deciding factor to leave.  I'm glad I did... It was three years ago yesterday that I was sworn into the CF.

Hello I'm new here

I'm a SGT cadet from 299 yarmouth lions and I'm 15 years old next year I'm joining the reserves but i didn't now I could do both join Reserves and still be in cadets(Technically*)

Thank you for all this useful information,
A fellow cadet told me about this site and told me it could answer my questions and it did! thanks you guys! :salute:

I'm going to do both if i can and if my CO tell me to leave cadets because it might be to much i would gladly do so. But if i do both i hope to help my fellow cadets.

But i don't think they would let me out of cadet that easily because I'm a experienced cadet/Senior and there lot of new cadets.

I cant wait to join the Reserves, also get my first job (and my first pay check)

I'm Ready to serves my country (and still be in cadets)

Don't do both, pick one. The reserves can take up alot of your time, and requires dedication. And you don't want to be stuck having to decide between the two (although every time the reserves WILL take priority).

Time to grow up. Either decide that your prepared to work with the army, or that you don't want to cut the apron strings yet and stay in cadets. Don't do both, cadets will serve no further purpose once you get into the CF.

And remember, its up to both CO's. If one does not approve it, then its not happening.

Thank you piper for you opinion appreciate it

I would gladly quit cadets And join the reserves But I'm only going to to do both for 1 year (if they let me)  then quite because allot of Senior quit or got to old and now there only 6 Seniors (including me) and 20 new cadet and there not very trained yet.

If I have to quite cadets o well Reserves all the way!

Back