• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C9 ammo box problems

Pte AJB

Inactive
Reaction score
In my brief career as a C9 gunner I have continually encountered difficulties with keeping the ammo box securely attached, as it seemingly chooses to detach itself at the most inopportune moments. I’ve seen American forces using soft fabric bags on their m249’s. I am wondering a) if anyone can direct me as to how to attain a few of these bags or b) any tips on keeping the c9 box secure.

Thanks,

PTE AJB

Try ebay for the 100 round softpacks, or next time you train with US Troops, see if you can trade something.

Before going in exerxise go ask at your regiment qm they are supposed to have some. I was issued four of those at my qm

I believe that when the box doesnt hold properly the problem is with the weapon, not the box.

CFL,

I'll see if I can get you an NSN early next week.  Shouldn't be a problem, as I "own" the 3 VP QM.  We have boxes of the C9 soft-packs sitting on our B Class shelves - both the early Australian pattern and the OG Green.  Although the soft-packs are much quieter and more secure than the plastic ammo boxes, the troops don't seem to care for them.  The requirement to break belts and manually load the halves into the soft-packs is a PITA unless you are preparing for a specific mission that requires maximum stealth (eg.  a patrol).

If you don't hear from me by mid-next week, shoot me a PM reminder for the NSN. 

Da_man said:
I believe that when the box doesnt hold properly the problem is with the weapon, not the box.

If that's the case, every C9 in our lockup has the exact same problem... ???      An AmmoTech I talked to mentioned the possibility of a bad lot of C9 boxes... :(
A lot of C9 Gunners in my unit have had this issue happen since this summer.

There isn't any 200 round belt bags?
Also is it a Light BN thing that you guys have the soft bags or a poor cousin thing that we don't?

The "nut sack" as the americans call them, are overrated, in this former C9 gunner's opinion.

The belts often become twisted and stuck in the bag, dirt and snow gets in (more so than the ammo box) and the zippers often fail.

The problem with the issued boxes can be fixed though. Use a stow (large elastic band) tied into a knot and push it all the way under the tab that moves up and down on the box itself. Do this three or four times, and the tab will not be able to go down, so the box will stay on.

If you put too many in, the box will be difficult to get off the gun in one piece - so play around a bit.

My home defence C9 is out for repairs, so I can't show any pics.  ;D

Just finished my last week in the field for SQ in Meaford.  I enjoyed the priviledge of the C9 for the last three weeks.  The ammo box fell off on me repeatedly.  One day I counted seven different times. 

I know I've got much less experience with the C9 than you guys but, I have to add that some boxes did hang on longers than others.  Which leads me to suspect the problem is more with the box than the weapon.

But either way, I'm just happy to have the field portion of SQ behind me.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the input guys. Before next ex. I'll be sure to ask the QM if they have any "nut sacks", though I probably won't use that colloquialism. In the event they don't I will have to have some rubber bands handy. They should solve the problem, thanks GO!!!, as I've noticed that the metal spring is too weak to keep the plastic latch in place and could use a little extra support.

CFL, I think I've seen some US troops with 200 round softpacks, but I coulden't find a NSN for them.

funny thing though,

the box never falls off the M249 on Rainbowsix3.
and how come the belt stays on the feed tray after he takes his hand off.

damn, I need one of those. ;D

I've been told a simple piece of tape can fix the problem. I was never showed how to do it but they told me yiu just taped the tab up or down.  I'm sure someone in you unit will be able to help you.

I've been a C9 gunner for the last 2.5 years. For the first two years, I had no problem with the box staying on. Since last summer though, it has become a real problem. Definitely a problem with the new boxes, not with the guns.

I found that the boxes would fail after being on the C9 for a while.  The plastic clip would get worn down and then it would fall off all the time.  I just rotated the boxes.  Now if this is happening right out of the crate then I think switching to a cloth pouch or something would be the way to go as nothing sucks more than making a move, just to leave half your ammo behind.

OK, I took another look in our B Class stores cage at 3 PPCLI.  Here are the two types of C9 "soft pack" ammo carrier that we have:

1.  Older (Dec 2001-dated) U.S. Woodland Camouflage 100-rd Soft Pack:

- NSN 1005-01-334-1507
- Part Number 12944203
- MAGAZINE, CARTRIDGE, SOFT PACK 100 RD, REUSABLE

2.  Newer (2004-dated) Australian Olive Green 200-rd Soft Pack:

- NSN 1005-66-143-5979
- MAGAZINE (CLOTH) COLLAPSIBLE 200 RDS FOR MINIMI F89 OLIVE

Of the two different versions, the Aussie OG 200-rd soft-pack appears to be the better choice.  It holds a full belt of 200 rds, has a sturdy spring-steel lock/release latch, and is constructed from very robust materials with nylon-taped edges, rivets, etc. 

As "GO!!!" correctly pointed out however, the soft-packs can be a PITA to load and use under field conditions.  This is particularly so when a partial belt has room to bounce around inside the pack and become twisted/tangled. 

On the plus side, the soft packs are much quieter to carry than the standard plastic cans.  They are useful for dismounted patrolling or other occasions where noise is a concern. 

You can always add some cardboard inside the ammo box an that should help quiet it up.

Back