• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C7 accessories

Kendrick

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm just looking for accessories that can be used on a C7.  I'm just in the reserves, so I can't really fully customize a C7 like I've seen some do, but I was wondering where I could get say, a Harris bipod with mounting accessories, perhaps replacement butts and handguards that i can paint, as well as butt extensions, perhaps even a collapsible stock, and replacement grips.  Also some weaver mounts on hand guards perhaps.  I'm having a hard time finding a decent source and good information on what fits and what doesnt. 

Theres something in my poor Engineer Mind Thats Saying Your not allowed to do this, And If Technically your Allowed your Sergant Major will Cruicify you.

Anyone else care to Comment on if this is The Case??

CHIMO

I can pretty much guarantee that you're not going to get a round of applause for your initiative from your plt WO or your QM sgt.  Something called unauthorised modifications...  I could tell you a story about the crap we got during a staff inspection when we first got the C-7 scopes and used a drop of lok-tite on the mounting screws after a rash of near-losses.  Save your money for more sensible purchases.

Well, I would agree with you on this.  However I've already been using a standard 10x rifle scope instead of the Elcan on exercises.  I was expecting to be told to just take it off before actually leaving, but as it turns out the platoon 2ic liked the idea, so did the platoond cmd.  And when the Coy CO finally noticed, he digged it too.  

Thats why I'm only looking for easily installed and removed accessories, nothing permanent.   Stuff I can use in the field, and take off at a moment's notice.  Army doesn't have the resources to provide reserves with this type of things, so I'm just trying to "augment" the experience by providing them myself.  Actually I mostly "lend" this stuff to the platoon, so that everyone can have a go at it.

Officers and higher ups like it a bit because it allows them to "simulate" resources they would not otherwise get.  

As for the money issue, I already had the weaver mount for previous paintball gear, and the scope for hunting rifles.  They were just lying around so I just "tried" it out.  Getting a Harris bipod would have the same effect as the scope, and I would probably use it with the hunting rifles too, which by the way is how I get most of my shooting practice.  Other things like hand guard weaver mounts for minimaglites and replacement hand guards and butt stocks that indeed might be stretching it, but I'm still curious.  I doubt easily installed weaver mounts at the front of the hand guards would cause much grief. 

Kendrick said:
Well, I would agree with you on this.  However I've already been using a standard 10x rifle scope instead of the Elcan on exercises.  I was expecting to be told to just take it off before actually leaving, but as it turns out the platoon 2ic liked the idea, so did the platoond cmd.  And when the Coy CO finally noticed, he digged it too.  

Thats why I'm only looking for easily installed and removed accessories, nothing permanent.   Stuff I can use in the field, and take off at a moment's notice.  Army doesn't have the resources to provide reserves with this type of things, so I'm just trying to "augment" the experience by providing them myself.  Actually I mostly "lend" this stuff to the platoon, so that everyone can have a go at it.

Officers and higher ups like it a bit because it allows them to "simulate" resources they would not otherwise get.  

Fair ball, although I don't quite see what "resources" you're simulating. Just remember - all it takes is someone who doesn't "dig" unauthorised mods to notice and kick a fit and your OC is going to be overruled in a nano-second - especially if that someone is from the G4 shop at Bde HQ.  Trust me on this.

Horse_Soldier said:
Fair ball, although I don't quite see what "resources" you're simulating. Just remember - all it takes is someone who doesn't "dig" unauthorised mods to notice and kick a fit and your OC is going to be overruled in a nano-second - especially if that someone is from the G4 shop at Bde HQ. Trust me on this.

Yes I totally agree with you on this.  It is a very very very fine line I'm walking on.  Another point to remember, we're talking about reserve exercises too, week-end stuff.  Come in friday night, sign out rifle, done sunday, sign in rifle.  Coy OC is about as high as we see for ranks there.  Also, when the rifle goes back to the vault, it has no extra gear on it.  I always have my Elcan on me for a quick switch. 

For resources, there's been plenty of people asking about snipers in the reserves.  There are none.  I'm in no way NEAR of being close to one.  This is basically just having some extra fun on ex.  My civvy job pays twice as much, so when I go on ex I actually lose money.  Doing FIBUA defensive exes in a 48 hrs time frame somewhat means more than half of this time building up defenses and then tearing them down.  I go on a voluntary basis, but let me tell you, losing that amount of money to haul sand bags around for a whole weekend, I look for some ways to make it more interesting  ;)  Also, it's not only personnal, because I don't keep this stuff to myself, its on rotation so everyone can try it out, and even when I can't go on ex, I lend it to the platoon OC so he can give it to whoever he wants. 

So yes basically, it's only "pretend", but for most of us, its something we'll never get to do, so why not "pretend" and have fun? 

(for some reason I can sense a hail of flak coming my way heheh where's my vest...)

Kendrick said:
(for some reason I can sense a hail of flak coming my way heheh where's my vest...)

I doubt it.

We modify our weapons all the time, in the same non permanent way.  Our Coy and Bn leadership allow it and in most cases encourage it(ie they do it themselves).  If you want to spend the money to on accessories, why not use them?  I know that lots of weapon accesories were bought for the soldiers in Afghanistan and are used on a daily basis(EOTech, hand grips, painted hand guards, weaver rails).

Yes I've found a few places.  Most of them are american gunsmiths or something, for AR-15s.  I saw replacement handguard sets, but most of them were about 300$, and I'm not going to spend that for week-end exes! 
However I did get a set of bipods.  I did see some front weaver mounts that get fixed in the hand guard vent holes, and figured I could use that to mount a front light.  Useful for house clearing.  You wouldn't happen to know of any places that have a good selction of nice accessories like that?

Do you guys know if MagCinches are generally allowed on reserve ex's, and if they are very useful?

Here are some links I found.  I was curious about the same thing after my CSM started sporting a vertical hand-grip.  Although what CSM's can do, and what you can do, can sometimes (most times) are very different.

http://www.centuriontactical.com/picatinny-rail.htm
http://www.uws.com/PICATINNY/HomePage.html
http://www.ergogrips.net/vfg.html
http://www.rangerjoes.com/product_info.php?products_id=2014

IT IS ILLEGAL TO MODIFY MILITARY WEAPONS WITH OUT AUTHORIZATION.

And authorization can only come from the LCMM of that weapon/weapon system.

Well then thank you very much WPN TECH...I'll inform half the Bn that are up on charges when we get back from Christmas holidays.

None of the modifications we do are permanent and you had read any of the threads concerning C7 weapons mods you probably would have noticed or seen that the chain of command is eitherpurchasing, and/or allowing soldiers to use purchased accessories to complement the weapon systems they use.

WPN TECH said:
IT IS ILLEGAL TO MODIFY MILITARY WEAPONS WITH OUT AUTHORIZATION.

And authorization can only come from the LCMM of that weapon/weapon system.

:-*

Wpn Tech...just a question, are you one of those types that get upset when soldiers make modifications (temp) to their weapons and kit to do their jobs more effectively?

Stomper - our unit did a trial on five different types of mag doublers - the Israeli First Samco version was the troop favourite - the Mag-Cinch second.

I cant see anyone getting upset with you adding that no matter how anal your unit (but thats me...) it is a mcuh cleaner to clean up system than the cardboard and guntape that many used to do on ex or tour.

Back