• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

Ref blast and overpressure effects on towed gun dets: Canada only began testing for this with the M777 last year

Yet another thing I looked after in DLR was artillery ancillary eqpt, including PPE. I had tried to get testing done back in the 2010's, but it kept getting delayed due to resource limitations. So the max daily (rds) exposure limits given in Range Training Safety, based on the M109, remained the sole ref for 155mm fire for years after the M777 came into use and the M109 was long gone

To any Gnr that operated on the M777 fighting VAC over hearing loss, PM me, I'd be glad to help

If rocket artillery made a comeback, that would presumably mean standing up 1 SSM again. So we could also stand up a reserve battery as 2 SSM.

If rocket artillery made a comeback, that would presumably mean standing up 1 SSM again. So we could also stand up a reserve battery as 2 SSM.
plenty of options for PRes arty, many batteries near reg force bases, Edmonton, Calgary (soon to be), Lethbridge, Saint John, Brandon, and thats before we touch the sup ORBAT. That said any new capability to the Ares will need a comprehensive plan to roll out, train and maintain that capability, and commitment from Army HQ to make it happen and not just see it as an after thought.

While the options for ranges is good, in all probably a system like this would be deployed with 4 GS Regt (RCA) in Gagetown.

That raises an issue that @Petard and I raised with a recent GOFO DArty interview about the Army Reserve Establishment concept from the 2010s and the fact that PRes personnel were never allocated to the MRR as was originally discussed with the project. Further initiatives to have ARes units trained in STA with light counter mortar radars and acoustic weapon sensors. That initiative failed as the limited amount of equipment made it difficult to issue to reserve units and, quite frankly, for folks coming off howitzers it wasn't interesting enough.

The learned lesson here is that the allocated ARes troops must either have the equipment or be close enough to it to use it routinely and that there must be a training program to keep it interesting. The Brits have an ARes regiment that has been tasked with the MLRS for many years - so it is doable. I'd say that ARes arty units in the Maritimes are the only ones that should be considered for this.

Moreover there are several US ARNG arty units with HIMARS parked at their local armouries in Smallville USA that can easily do a road move to their ARNG state training centre. I presume Canada won't get that adventurous because - risk management.

🍻

Back