• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

H
Makes it, in my opinion a good high mobility howitzer for light or mechanized forces
To me it’s not Light, and while I see it useful for LAV/Stryker/Boxer wheeled armies, I don’t see it as the best option for true mech forces.

To me it’s not Light, and while I see it useful for LAV/Stryker/Boxer wheeled armies, I don’t see it as the best option for true mech forces.
I've made my comments about the Archer before and my view that it only carries 21 rounds on board. The Wikipedia page that says it has a (salvo fire rate of three rounds in 15 seconds (effective rate, 720 rounds per hour)) is just plain stupid. With the reload time between magazines, it can probably get off 80 rounds an hour at best - something that a good Canadian crew can do on an M777 in ten minutes. - But I digress.

I like anything with a 155/52 (not ready for a 58 calibre yet) - I'm not to concerned if the chassis is a Paladin, a K9, or something else so long as the crew can operate under armour and can be rapidly resupplied by a limber vehicle without having to expose oneself. I prefer tracked and just about everything now comes with self location and rapid emplacement and displacement. I'm not all that much against wheeled vehicles but I've been through enough soggy fields and deep snow to appreciate the advantage tracks can give a heavy vehicle like a 155 SP.

🍻

I've made my comments about the Archer before and my view that it only carries 21 rounds on board. The Wikipedia page that says it has a (salvo fire rate of three rounds in 15 seconds (effective rate, 720 rounds per hour)) is just plain stupid. With the reload time between magazines, it can probably get off 80 rounds an hour at best - something that a good Canadian crew can do on an M777 in ten minutes. - But I digress.

I like anything with a 155/52 (not ready for a 58 calibre yet) - I'm not to concerned if the chassis is a Paladin, a K9, or something else so long as the crew can operate under armour and can be rapidly resupplied by a limber vehicle without having to expose oneself. I prefer tracked and just about everything now comes with self location and rapid emplacement and displacement. I'm not all that much against wheeled vehicles but I've been through enough soggy fields and deep snow to appreciate the advantage tracks can give a heavy vehicle like a 155 SP.

🍻
H

M109 seems like the best option, plus the upcoming M1299 variant has a 52 calibre barrel.

The M1299 is the 52 calibre Paladin variant.
I think they are two separate options or programs.

The M1299 is the 52 calibre Paladin variant.
Actually the M1299 uses an experimental L58 barrel. The current A7 Paladin has an L39 barrel.

I'm starting to have my doubts about the M1299 - its autoloader has apparently gone down to a 23 round magazine. From what I've seen the only place where it will be deployed is as a single GS battalion in each Armoured Div (Reinforced).

I think originally the hope was to replace all M109s with M1299 but that seems to be changing.

🍻

I get the Germans confused Rheinmetall and KMW

If the M777 gets back in production we will probably just buy more of them

I used to be Meh about the Archer. but really seems suited for these shoot and scoot missions. They would also fit the LAV battalions well.

I used to be Meh about the Archer. but really seems suited for these shoot and scoot missions. They would also fit the LAV battalions well.

Only if they put it on the MSVS SMP.

The Volvo drags on the Highway.

Back