• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Brain Injury Awareness Week

winchable

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, Brain Injury Awareness Week came to a close today, it's a topic near and dear to my heart. I work at the Hospital and I'm working on my BSc in Kines (hoping to do my honours on Segmented Spinal Cord Injury), I play rugby and it's always hanging in the back of my mind; As such I'm extremely passionate about raising awareness and I hope to work directly with Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Patients.
A few questions, maybe we can get some discussion out of it.

1. Were there any CF Medical Service sponsored events, or something of that nature that anyone here attended? If so, what were they on?

2. Did anyone go to any lectures/demos etc. outside of the CF?

I went to an interesting one in Halifax put on by the Rafuse Lab at Dalhousie, it was about use of stem cells as they relate to spinal cord injuries.They're making some fantastic advances, there are problems, but it's promising to a certain extent.
They've managed to generate neurons out from a chicken embryo and in the right environment show some attachment to muscle tissue, with some interesting results.
They also had a short bit on parkinsons which was really good, they took developed dopamine neurons from fetal tissue and injected them into the subtantia nigra of a parkinsons patient. The results were brilliant, she went from very constricted and short shuffling movements to almost completely normal walking.

Anyway, sorry to suddenly jump into the medical forum like this, I should point out I'm still learning up a very steep curve in the field right now (jumped from Arts over to Sciences this year) so I might lag behind, but any discussion you can have would help me alot.

Back