• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot cleaning / polishing / care of

I'll start by saying that I think I'm fairly good at polishing boots.  With these new parade boots I couldn't get any shine and the polish would barely even stick to the leather (especially around the instep.) I stripped the boots using soap, water and a green scrub pad. I stripped the boots until the leather started turning whitish. I then reapplied polish as usual. The boots look ok-ish, but not as good as my old pairs. On some parts of the boots I still have trouble getting the polish to stick, and when it does finally stick those spots flake off when I wear the boots.

Tcm621 said:
As far I can tell, the new boots are what is called split leather. It means the take the top layer off the hide (which might have imperfections) and chemically treat it to get the "shinny" surface. They are not capable of being shined like a traditional full grain leather boot. You can't work the Polish into the leather because of the chemical coating.  From what I understand it is to be treated similar to nubuck leather with a product like this
http://www.kiwicare.com/kiwimcmssite/us/products/suede-nubuck/protect-suede-nubuck-protector.html
If you keep coating on the Polish, it will look ok until you wear them for awhile then it will crank and the Polish will lift away from the boot.

Ah, I see the rumour mill is in full tilt. Care to confirm your ideas with a substantiated referral? You need none of this stuff, trust me.

A light scuffing with 0000 steel wool and a bit of alcohol. They are more than capable of being shone. Once you've lightly scuffed them shine as you would have all along. The results will be the same.

recceguy said:
Ah, I see the rumour mill is in full tilt. Care to confirm your ideas with a substantiated referral? You need none of this stuff, trust me.

A light scuffing with 0000 steel wool and a bit of alcohol. They are more than capable of being shone. Once you've lightly scuffed them shine as you would have all along. The results will be the same.

I'll give it a try. I used a 3m scrub pad and didn't get very good results. But split leather doesn't shine like full grain leather. It's just a fact. And I have yet to see a pair of the new boots shined well compared to the old full grain leather ones.

When the "new" ones came out, I looked at the size on the safety toes version that polished like shyte and ordered the exact size.  When they arrived they didn't fit. Not even close. 

I really wish I would have held onto my old ones that were broken in and polished like ankle boots should.  The latest versions are a big step down IMO. 

Eye In The Sky said:
When the "new" ones came out, I looked at the size on the safety toes version that polished like shyte and ordered the exact size.  When they arrived they didn't fit. Not even close. 

I really wish I would have held onto my old ones that were broken in and polished like ankle boots should.  The latest versions are a big step down IMO.
I still have my old, old ones . I am never giving them up. I'll just get them resoled when they need it.

Tcm621 said:
As far I can tell, the new boots are what is called split leather. It means the take the top layer off the hide (which might have imperfections) and chemically treat it to get the "shinny" surface. They are not capable of being shined like a traditional full grain leather boot. You can't work the Polish into the leather because of the chemical coating.  From what I understand it is to be treated similar to nubuck leather with a product like this
http://www.kiwicare.com/kiwimcmssite/us/products/suede-nubuck/protect-suede-nubuck-protector.html
If you keep coating on the Polish, it will look ok until you wear them for awhile then it will crank and the Polish will lift away from the boot.

Man you guys really love this subject.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO POSTED THEIR BOOT-SHINING METHODS.

Just like anything else in the military; there is only one right way to do it and it varies everywhere you go and for everyone you work with, lol. Lots of good advice though.

But THIS ^ up here really relates to the issue I am having. Been polishing for almost 20 years and this is crazy with these new dress boots and oxfords. I mean, not a huge loss if I wreck these. I *think* my current pair of older ankle/safety/dress boots will do me another year at least, but the leather is cracking badly and I have only just gotten into the beginnings of better leather *care* beyond polishing, so sooner or later I will need to replace them.

You could always go to the local surplus store and buy a pair of the old type. Most (real mil surplus stores) usually have quite a few pairs.

recceguy said:
You could always go to the local surplus store and buy a pair of the old type. Most (real mil surplus stores) usually have quite a few pairs.
This is the best way to go. I pulled my old oxfords out of a barrack box the other day and put a couple coats of polish on them. They are good to go and took me maybe half an hour.

I seem to recall something about the US style patent leather boots/shoes being authorized to purchase and wear. Might be a better route then the new stuff if you need to wear them every day. Although, I can see it being a bit of an issue to some people. I am not sure I could do it but YMMV.

recceguy said:

I'd keep using my current ones forever, except that the leather is cracking and I think too far gone for repair at this stage.

recceguy said:

About 3 1/2 years ago, I ordered a set of those oxfords off logistikunicorp.com to wear to my civvie job.  Back in my highschool/college years, I worked in a shoe store for 5 years and I got pretty good and polishing shoes, or at least I thought I did.  Then these phucking things enter my life.  First I had trouble getting the polish to stick, so I read a bit, learned I should apply the polish, let it sit, then buff, no go.  I did the tiny circle thing with my two fingers and a moist cloth, no go.  I must have made ten million little circles and all it did was numb my fingers.  I even let them sit overnight with polish on, and it just flaked off into tiny little particles.  So I started to cake it on and build up layers and layers........hours later and who knows how many layers, I finally got them to look like mirrors but as soon as I wore them, they cracked and flaked.  I kept these bastards for about a year, wearing them in the crappiest weather, cleaning them, polishing them, over and over and over and over again.  Every single time, I watched my blood, sweat and tears flake off every single fukking time I laced them up.  I’m not sure what I was thinking wearing these for work because they’re ugly as sin and I’ve since thrown them out. 

When I got my DEUs issued, they came with the boots made with the same God-forsaken finish those miserable oxfords were done in.  Good thing for this forum because I read about the scuffing and it worked, more or less.  I used 1000grit sand paper and a green Scotchbrite pad and now the polish actually sticks, though I still have yet to make them look like mirrors like the older boots.  I’m tempted to take them down again and try the steel wool to see if it has a better effect.  They still flake a bit in certain areas, but all the guys who’ve been around the block told me that’s pretty normal with these new things and to just keep working it in. 

When I read your post, I thought to myself, there’s some sound advice so I experimented a bit and found that no matter how much alcohol I threw down my neck, it made no difference, but I found the more I drank, the less frustrating it was to polish these mother-fukkers.

I have way better things to invest my time in than solving shitty kit problems on my off duty times. I polish mine when neded, tbey flake and look like crap.  Life goes on.  I tend to wear oxfords unless directed "shall wear ankle boots".  Far less time wasted doing the finger circle deal.

Yeah, but you're in the Air Force. It's not quite like being in the military, right? :D

recceguy said:
Yeah, but you're in the Air Force. It's not quite like being in the military, right? :D

Much like the jabs of living in 5-star hotels, to which I say "have you ever heard of a Pilot/ACSO/AESOP/SAR Tech/Loadie ever wanting to switch *from* the AF to the Army/Navy?"

>:D

recceguy said:

It's not as slack as people make it out to be.  Once, I had to come back to work after 1200 on a FRIDAY!

Dimsum said:
Much like the jabs of living in 5-star hotels, to which I say "have you ever heard of a Pilot/ACSO/AESOP/SAR Tech/Loadie ever wanting to switch *from* the AF to the Army/Navy?"

>:D

I knew one who talked about it.  However, after a few hours he sobered up and was fine.

Eye In The Sky said:
It's not as slack as people make it out to be.  Once, I had to come back to work after 1200 on a FRIDAY!

I know! I can relate!

409 Sqn (VooDoo) and BAMEO Trenton  ;)

NECRO POST WARNING!

How to polish your boots:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Zvq25y2xk

How to polish your boots, Irish Guards Style:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XB5ZxD6YS4

Hey everyone! I'm about to start weekend BMQ and it asked for a shoe polish kit, so I just bought one off amazon. It was on sale and it was amazon's choice so I figured I would give it a shot, does anyone have any experience with this brand and is it better than kiwi? Its by moneysworth and best, here's the link.

https://www.amazon.ca/Moneysworth-Best-Military-Shine-Kit-5/dp/B00E1ABH1G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538842116&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=moneysworth+and+best+military

It's on sale for 13 dollars right now

Haven’t heard of that brand.

You might want to cancel that order and wait out on buying a black polish kit.  Would be quite useless if you are issued LOTBs, desert boots, or the brown leather boots.

Oh, we have to polish normal boots? I thought we would just have a pair of parade boots to polish? It says to come ready with a polish kit, do you think I should keep black or go with brown? Or buy a tin of brown polish on the side?

Edit: silly question but what's an LOTB?

Back