• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Book Recommendations - Canadian Experience in Afghanistan

dapaterson said:
The MP for Ajax-Pickering, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Defence, and former Canadian AMbassador to Afghanistan has written a tome, released a few days ago.  I have yet to read it, but thought I should post it here for future reference.

The Long Way Back: Afghanistan's Quest for Peace

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Back-Afghanistans-Quest/dp/0062020374/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320893139&sr=8-2

Thanks - I'll include that as well.

Looking for feedback - should this one, produced as part of the Canadian Forces Artist Program be included as well?
To some, it’s the story of two Afghan girls fleeing from the Taliban in a high stakes journey that brings them to the brink of death. But for Sharon McKay, “Thunder over Kandahar” is a PG-13 primer on the Afghanistan War. “When I was growing up Vietnam was going on. No one would explain it to me,” says McKay, a writer who is based out of Burlington, Ont. “They didn’t know.” That childhood frustration helped inspire McKay to write children’s books that explain some of the world’s most vicious conflicts through the lens of adventure ....
Postmedia News, 9 Nov 11

Pro for inclusion:  it's a Canadian's experience in AFG, and could be considered Canadian literature about the war
Con against inclusion:  it's not about a Canadian military experience

I don't see why not. Especially if it does provide background to why the conflict came about, and gives the reader an experience of what the Afghani people go through.

cupper said:
I don't see why not. Especially if it does provide background to why the conflict came about, and gives the reader an experience of what the Afghani people go through.

I'm saying this with the best intentions (so I don't sound too much like a jerk) but the population of Afghanistan are called Afghans.  Afghani is their currency.  Kinda like calling Canadians "Loonies"....actually after seeing some of the Occupy Victoria tents, that's not too far off the mark    :bowing:

cupper said:
Good point - thanks for the input.

BTW, dimsum's right about the "Afghani-Afghan" thing.

Dimsum said:
I'm saying this with the best intentions (so I don't sound too much like a jerk) but the population of Afghanistan are called Afghans.  Afghani is their currency.  Kinda like calling Canadians "Loonies"....actually after seeing some of the Occupy Victoria tents, that's not too far off the mark    :bowing:

:rofl:

Thanks for the clarification on the Afghan vs Afghani issue. Good to know.

Back